How do I unflag my self?

Blazer

Just wait 5 minutes and it will go away.

On-game or off-game time? Because I've had a sorceror who had to put up with a flag for three days worth, because the flag did not want to go away.

You may need to toggle the flag once or twice to make sure you get the "request unflag" message.

Then wait 5 minutes in a "safe area". (Typically a designated faction base or city.) The counter only ticks when you're logged in; logging out only puts the countdown on pause.

I've had issues with that as well and it drives me nuts.

It's 5 minutes of in-game time. I don't know if you need to manually toggle PVP to start this 5-minute timer or not, but I always do so that when I see the message I know for sure that my 5 minutes have started. The other problem is that you have to be in a safe zone, but nowhere is this defined (which really annoys me). My guess is that a rest zone counts as safe, so you're looking at fleet, your ship, or a cantina.

The part that bothers me the most about all this is that logging out does not remove your PVP flag. I don't understand the logic behind this.

You do not have to toggle it, just wait somewhere safe for five minutes. When it first happened to me back in January, I did the toggle, which actually turns it on even though you're already flagged, then you have to toggle it again and it tells you to wait five minutes. Just skip the toggle steps and wait five minutes, that's what I have done ever since and that's what I did often during the Rakghoul event.