Str Vs Power

Lawnmow

So i started gearing my endgame marauder with mods and started seeing that some mods offer 57 str with around 8-10 power and others with 37 str and 20+ power. i was wondering which would benefit my marauder more.

So i started gearing my endgame marauder with mods and started seeing that some mods offer 57 str with around 8-10 power and others with 37 str and 20+ power. i was wondering which would benefit my marauder more.

you know this thread is made about 3 times a week. Instead of pretending you are the first one to ever have the thought why not actually LOOK for the information.

Go for the highest STR stuf first,then when you get to about 1700 STR, start building up your other stats.

Go for the highest STR stuf first,then when you get to about 1700 STR, start building up your other stats.

this is why so many marauders are bad. thats WAY too much strength. I do over 1700 DPS on boss fights and only have 1505 str.

Power is the best stat once you have 25% BASE crit. Its such a shame people are too damn lazy to actually think on their own and figure this stuff out, instead they wait for someone else to do it for them. Hell they are too lazy to even read the posts already on the same topic.

Edited by Hizoka

this is why so many marauders are bad. thats WAY too much strength. I do over 1700 DPS on boss fights and only have 1505 str.

Power is the best stat once you have 25% BASE crit. Its such a shame people are too damn lazy to actually think on their own and figure this stuff out, instead they wait for someone else to do it for them. Hell they are too lazy to even read the posts already on the same topic.

Settle down, tough guy.

Settle down, tough guy.

no dude, catering to these lazy people only makes them continue to be lazy. Thats why nearly everyone who plays the game is terrible, they get comfortable being bad because someone else will do everything for them.

No.

Str>Power even in nearly full blackhole gear. I have 2003 strength fully stimmed and buffed. I have 777 power. Spreadsheet still have power at .957 for every 1 point of strength. Stop posting like you actually understand things when you're clearly just guessing randomly. It also doesn't matter what your base crit is. The crit gained from str and the crit gained from actual crit rating is separate and the diminishing returns do not affect each other. The idea is to get around 160ish crit rating and then stack Str>Power while getting as close to accuracy cap as possible without going over.

Unbuffed, in my mix of 8 Rakata pcs and the rest Columi, I have 1560 STR.

If you have 1505, then I'm guessing you're in elite Tionese gear? You're the bestest Marauder evar!

i swapped most of my mods to the lower strength higher power ones which are greater DPS increases then the higher strength lower power/crit ones.

i have 700 power, power is just a flat better damage increase then strength once you have 25% crit.

my guess is you have about 400ish power, which is why you do not think the class is cappable of the damage number the good marauders get.

Edited by Meluna
rude, older than recent warning

yeah, but I wanna hear u battle it out with the "black hole"-guy who seemed to know his **** pretty good....

Btw are u running Anni-spec for end-game-pve-dps? Might as well ask instead of assume (and no, unless there is an "armory" in swtor I have to pester u by asking)

yeah, but I wanna hear u battle it out with the "black hole"-guy who seemed to know his **** pretty good....

Btw are u running Anni-spec for end-game-pve-dps? Might as well ask instead of assume (and no, unless there is an "armory" in swtor I have to pester u by asking)

yes because its dumb to run anything else.

Gotta love it when someone says they understand "the math of the game" and then make up some arbitrarily set 25% crit threshold when said value comes from 2 different diminishing returns sources.

Not that I really blame you. Everyone on the forums thinks they "know" the exact math behind optimizing DPS, yet no one can agree on some exact values. Imagine that. lol

@OP: The latter type mod/enhancements increase your damage output more. The combined power/strength combination is better. The first type you mentioned will add slightly less damage, but give you more endurance. It's a survivability vs. damage thing. You can do it however you prefer (pure damage mods, pure endurance mods, or a mix of both). If I recall correctly, the HP difference between the "pure" power load-outs in BM gear is almost 2k and the bonus damage difference is about 40-60 and a small amount of crit.

Edited by Swarna

yes because its dumb to run anything else.

I have actually agreed with most of what you said until you got to this point. Your spec depends greatly on your play style. I personally HATE Anni spec. I run Carnage and do between 1700dps and 1800dps on boss fights. Keep in mind some fights you obviously cannot keep dps up on the boss. But fights where you can destroy the boss that is about where I run.

I am in Full Rakata with the exception of 1 implant, 1 relic, and my offhand weapon. I have run as Annihilation spec as well as Carnage. Tried Rage for 5 minutes and respec'd, just not my style. That said, I have found that for me personally Carnage does more damage, it is higher burst and really good sustained damage with Massacre spam. Your berserk is almost always up so your Massacre costs next to nothing so you can just constantly spam it, then hit gore, ravage, force scream for larger burst. Obviously using battering assault and assault to get your Rage up and then go nuts.

For me personally this rotation destroys PVE content. PVP is a completely different story. Sadly.

I have spoken with some Marauders who run Carnage in PVP and they enjoy it. Personally I dont. For PVP I switch to Annihilation.

As to the OP.... Personally I get STR to 1696 self buffed, thats Rakata stim, and all the class buffs. (Legacy buffs rule). After that I push Power. Crit is about 37% and surge is at 75%. With these stats I have found that pushing power increases your damage alot more than STR does.

Edited by Daemos

I have actually agreed with most of what you said until you got to this point. Your spec depends greatly on your play style. I personally HATE Anni spec. I run Carnage and do between 1700dps and 1800dps on boss fights. Keep in mind some fights you obviously cannot keep dps up on the boss. But fights where you can destroy the boss that is about where I run.

I am in Full Rakata with the exception of 1 implant, 1 relic, and my offhand weapon. I have run as Annihilation spec as well as Carnage. Tried Rage for 5 minutes and respec'd, just not my style. That said, I have found that for me personally Carnage does more damage, it is higher burst and really good sustained damage with Massacre spam. Your berserk is almost always up so your Massacre costs next to nothing so you can just constantly spam it, then hit gore, ravage, force scream for larger burst. Obviously using battering assault and assault to get your Rage up and then go nuts.

For me personally this rotation destroys PVE content. PVP is a completely different story. Sadly.

I have spoken with some Marauders who run Carnage in PVP and they enjoy it. Personally I dont. For PVP I switch to Annihilation.

As to the OP.... Personally I get STR to 1696 self buffed, thats Rakata stim, and all the class buffs. (Legacy buffs rule). After that I push Power. Crit is about 37% and surge is at 75%. With these stats I have found that pushing power increases your damage alot more than STR does.

you have WAY too much crit you are deep in the DR so you are effectivly losing itemization points.. but you also said you think carnage is good for PvE wich only prives your thinking is wrong. Properly Speced and geared (which you are not properly geared) Carnage is about 15% behind annihilation.

not to mention the only way you get thoes numbers as carnage is using ACT which is grossly inaccurate.

Edited by Hizoka

Someone should just make a definitive Sticky on the class and specs. We'll see a lot less of these threads full of degenerative posts because people won't need to make them in the first place.

I'm surprised the Marauder forum doesn't have one already.

for once I agree with Hizoka. having 2k strength is dumb. The crit gain is obsolete, and the bonus damage you gain is less than you would from power stacking.

however why do you only have 700 power and only 1505 strength,I have 711 power with 1804 strength.

you have WAY too much crit you are deep in the DR so you are effectivly losing itemization points.. but you also said you think carnage is good for PvE wich only prives your thinking is wrong. Properly Speced and geared (which you are not properly geared) Carnage is about 15% behind annihilation.

not to mention the only way you get thoes numbers as carnage is using ACT which is grossly inaccurate.

The only inaccurate data that ACT records is "ALL OUT-GOING"...it doubles the amount of damage you do.

The line "Damage Done" is accurate. MOX and ACT record the same data.. I have them both running while I'm in Ops. So please refrain from stupid accusations that you know nothing about.

The only inaccurate data that ACT records is "ALL OUT-GOING"...it doubles the amount of damage you do.

The line "Damage Done" is accurate. MOX and ACT record the same data.. I have them both running while I'm in Ops. So please refrain from stupid accusations that you know nothing about.

but yet simply by what you told me i knew you were running ACT because combat can;t pull 1700-1900 or what ever you said, you picked the ACT number to make it look like you were better then you are.

but yet simply by what you told me i knew you were running ACT because combat can;t pull 1700-1900 or what ever you said, you picked the ACT number to make it look like you were better then you are.

ACT works fine. Mox and ACT give the same parse. The only bug ACT has right now is the double reading from ALL OUT-GOING. The reason people use ACT is to get an accurate break-down of what each skill is doing. Something that ACT does very well.

Edited by Meluna

I don't think diminishing returns have changed since 1.2 and most of what I have read and seen states that reaching 75% surge and 30% crit are the points to hit before DR stats devaluing taking surge/crit over power.

Power has no diminishing returns whatsoever.

If you are already at 75% surge and 30% without any buffs whatsoever, it is best to invest in power and nothing else. Point per point spent after this benchmark you sill see a more consistent increase in DPS going with power as opposed to continuing with crit and surge (realize that pushing surge higher does increase your crit cap = higher numbers, but you are playing the game of chance with crit).

If we ever get a talent in our trees that increase our str by 9% or w/e it is that all other classes seem to get, then the gap between str and power returns would diminish (power would still be barely ahead, but nothing to seriously write home about imo).