spec and gear help for pvp

Undorett

I have a Jug at level 42 and am starting to get ready for what I want to do when I get to level 50. I want to spec to be the most useful in PVP. I won’t be using this character in PVE at all unless there is an item I need from PVE for PVP as I raid and group on another character. Could someone help me with the best spec and gear set for me? I read a lot that full on tank spec and tank gear is a poor way to go for PVP, but I do not want to be fragile either.

I love running the ball in huttball, using the invincible moves to be able to not die / not get knocked back and bring the ball to the goal.

I want to stay in tank stance and use taunts for PVP so that I can guard healers and keep the group from going down.

I want to be able to do enough damage to take out other players in say a 2v2 situation I find myself in often

I would like to be able to go toe to toe with classes and win in a 1v1 situation, but I doubt that will be possible.

So what goals here are realistic? I know that if I went full on tank mode I would be best for the first two goals, and full on DPS spec would get me the best for the last two goals. What sort of spec and gear setup will give me “enough” defensiveness for the first two goals (I feel like they are the more important class objectives), and get me closest to the second two goals?

I am completely willing to spend credits to personalize gear to get the most out of the character. What stat levels and set bonuses are the most important and I can go for those customizing gear along the way.

Thanks for the help

hmmm... well, the two stats you will want to pile up on are primarily endurance and strength, with a high armor rating following close after. search the trade network for some high endurance and high strength mods, and i would suggest buying pvp gear ASAP.

hmmm... well, the two stats you will want to pile up on are primarily endurance and strength, with a high armor rating following close after. search the trade network for some high endurance and high strength mods, and i would suggest buying pvp gear ASAP.

Thanks, but these stats come on everything Jugs get. I am wondering what secondary stats such as shield, defense, absorption, critical chance, surge, accuracy, and power I should be trying to min/max for a spec best suited to the goals above as well as the spec itself.

This hybrid spec is probably the best for meeting all of the goals:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#101RMG0uZcRrMrhddM.1

This way you have defensive utility and cooldowns while still being able to put out good damage.

It's not the best in 1v1 situtations, but it will let you survive long enough to let you get your teammates to come help and can even be viable versus some classes in certain situations.

Gear wise, I'm trying to run 300crit rating, 95% accuracy, 75% surge, and the rest power. While base stats on War Hero gear give you well over that 95% accuracy, less than the base 300 crit rating, more than the 75% surge, and a ton of power. Just remod to reach these goals best. I run Fortitude Augments as full vengeance, but as hybrid i would probably get might or power augments to balance out the increased survivability but this is all preference. I also run orange belt and bracers with guardian armorings for increased endurance and strength.

Also, get the Vigilance armor set.

defensive gear helps, but basically yes. and if you run tank gear then your damage will be absolutely terrible and you wont be useful in a team fght at all

only good thing to do is probably look for peices with more endurance on it that are dps.

I'm in the same boat as the OP, I wanna tank in pvp, guard nodes, run the ball, and protect others. I run with a sorc healer partner and cant quite decide if I wanna run the hybrid spec, but I'm leaning more towards the 31/6/4. Then there is the gear... do i get war leader or vindicators. I'm not too worried about dps. I'm 33 right now and have bought the level 40 tank gear. I picked up the pieces with +def on them, but the ones that had shield/absorb on i took the dps gear. Still up in the air about the lvl 50 gear though.

Frankly I do all of those things as vengeance. What you need for pvp is expertise not defensive stats. A lot of pvp attacks ignore the shield chance and defense so they're pretty much useless.

I personally roll in a full vengeance build. I can perform everything you said you want to do without too much hassle. The only classes I have trouble with in 1vs1 are Ptech tanks cause they get so much armor and good ops. Other than that you'll be able to destroy everything.

As a jug you need to learn to make full use of your taunts, slow, intercede and force jump. Also get used to always use a pvp heal right after you use endure pain.

As for gear just pick up the vindicator set. It has the best set bonus anyway.

Other than that go vengeance, it gets just about everything cept for a massive smash

Edited by AllanGand

AllanGand is dead right. You don't need to be a tank to have survivability. I do all those things as well, but in Rage spec. Remember Juggs still have heavy armour no matter what spec, and basically all the same defensive CDs. I've seen some pretty impressive tanks out there who for all intents and purposes were almost impossible to kill, but they also didn't do any damage at all.

It really depends how you want to do it, but it sounds to me like you're still interested in doing some damage.

Try using Rage or Vengeance spec (Rage is probably better for this) with Soresu form. That will give you the extra armor rating without sacrificing damage output. And being in Soresu form means you can guard, and that's just about the most useful thing you can do in any PvP. You won't be able to fully tank properly, but you will be able to distract for long enough to give the tanks a break if they need it, and you'll still do mad damage.

Thanks, but these stats come on everything Jugs get. I am wondering what secondary stats such as shield, defense, absorption, critical chance, surge, accuracy, and power I should be trying to min/max for a spec best suited to the goals above as well as the spec itself.

Stack, surge, crit and power. Defense, shield, and absorb have very poor yield in PvP. For what you are talking about I would try a hybrid Immortal/Vengeance build with at least 13 in Immortal and at least 25 points in vengeance. Then use Soresu form. You will need to be good with rage management, but this build gives sick survivability with solid steady damage output.