End Game Tanking

Currently, I am leveling my PT as Shield so I can get the general idea of how it works and such, but my server seems to only have PVP PT's and or not so willing to communicate. Could someone point me in the right direction as far as our stats go? And or what I should aim for in terms of stat prioritizing? Any help or feedback would be muchly appreciated. I want to break the cycle/norm of Jugg's tanking and have a lot of fun with this class. Thanks ahead of time.

shield and absorb ~50%

then defense

You should never mod your gear for defence if you have the choice of using shield / absorb instead.

Put shield rating / absorb rating enhancements, absorb modifications and augments in all your mod slots.

You should never mod your gear for defence if you have the choice of using shield / absorb instead.

Put shield rating / absorb rating enhancements, absorb modifications and augments in all your mod slots.

Never say never. There does come a point in gearing when Defense becomes the most beneficial stat for a PT tank. Yes, this only occurs when you are already into Black Hole / Campaign gear, but it DOES happen.

For the OP, it's a bit more complicated than has been stated here. You obviously want to gear up in Columi as you start working on Rakata. When you DO start getting Rakata pieces I HIGHLY recommend ripping out the 51 accuracy enhancements and putting in the 48 shield enhancements from your Columi gear.

Until you hit ~400-500 Absorb rating, that is your primary stat to build up. Use Augment slots, the best lvl 49 purple Implants and Earpieces you can get with absorb, the shield/absorb relic, the absorb proc relic and anything else you can use to boost it. Only after 400-500 absorb does defense start becoming very useful.

You will get enough shield rating just from your enhancements and other gear, but don't totally dump it.

Additionally, if you can get crit Implants, Earpiece, Belt and Bracers, at least 1 piece of crit orange head/chest/hands/legs/feet, and a crit orange blaster - these will each allow you to slot in an augment (the absorb one) each granting up to an additional 18 absorb rating. It adds up!

Start farming the Black Hole weekly and Lost Island / Kaon weekly to get Black Hole commendations. Personally, I recommend first getting your Black Hole Implants and Earpiece and then possibly the belt and bracers. These will provide a significant boost.

Once you have achieved full Rakata (with altered enhancements) and the above Black Hole pieces you will be ready to tank anything currently in the game.

p.s. I also highly recommend running as Biochem. Having access to unlimited uses of the Rakat adrenal and medpac are really great, and the Rakata stim can also be great (my server never has Exotech fort for sale and I never got the pattern to drop).

Edited by thrakkemarn

Never say never. There does come a point in gearing when Defense becomes the most beneficial stat for a PT tank. Yes, this only occurs when you are already into Black Hole / Campaign gear, but it DOES happen.

For the OP, it's a bit more complicated than has been stated here. You obviously want to gear up in Columi as you start working on Rakata. When you DO start getting Rakata pieces I HIGHLY recommend ripping out the 51 accuracy enhancements and putting in the 48 shield enhancements from your Columi gear.

Until you hit ~400-500 Absorb rating, that is your primary stat to build up. Use Augment slots, the best lvl 49 purple Implants and Earpieces you can get with absorb, the shield/absorb relic, the absorb proc relic and anything else you can use to boost it. Only after 400-500 absorb does defense start becoming very useful.

You will get enough shield rating just from your enhancements and other gear, but don't totally dump it.

Additionally, if you can get crit Implants, Earpiece, Belt and Bracers, at least 1 piece of crit orange head/chest/hands/legs/feet, and a crit orange blaster - these will each allow you to slot in an augment (the absorb one) each granting up to an additional 18 absorb rating. It adds up!

Start farming the Black Hole weekly and Lost Island / Kaon weekly to get Black Hole commendations. Personally, I recommend first getting your Black Hole Implants and Earpiece and then possibly the belt and bracers. These will provide a significant boost.

Once you have achieved full Rakata (with altered enhancements) and the above Black Hole pieces you will be ready to tank anything currently in the game.

p.s. I also highly recommend running as Biochem. Having access to unlimited uses of the Rakat adrenal and medpac are really great, and the Rakata stim can also be great (my server never has Exotech fort for sale and I never got the pattern to drop).

Hehe, yes I agree. I have been seduced by the abundance of absorb rating on the new tier of gear.

Sorry I read the following and had a good laugh:

PVE

Expertise is useless in PVE.

Tanking

Primary stats: Endurance > Aim

Secondary stats: Accuracy Rating (under Hit cap) > Shield Rating > Defense Rating > Power > Crit Rating > Surge Rating > Accuracy Rating (at/above Hit cap)

This is HORRIBLE advice. Accuracy for PVE tanking?? Shield > Defense with no mention of Absorb?? No, sir. Just ... no.

Not to mention the specs listed in that post are also really bad. 3/3 into endurance? 3 skill points to gain 3% endurance? What is that guy smoking?

In short, that link is filled with horrible advice, IMO.

This link at least has the basics right, and some good, accurate info: http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forums/Thread-The-Shield-Tech-Shield-Spec-Compendium

Edited by thrakkemarn

Sorry I read the following and had a good laugh:

PVE

Expertise is useless in PVE.

Tanking

Primary stats: Endurance > Aim

Secondary stats: Accuracy Rating (under Hit cap) > Shield Rating > Defense Rating > Power > Crit Rating > Surge Rating > Accuracy Rating (at/above Hit cap)

This is HORRIBLE advice. Accuracy for PVE tanking?? Shield > Defense with no mention of Absorb?? No, sir. Just ... no.

Not to mention the specs listed in that post are also really bad. 3/3 into endurance? 3 skill points to gain 3% endurance? What is that guy smoking?

In short, that link is filled with horrible advice, IMO.

This link at least has the basics right, and some good, accurate info: http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forums/Thread-The-Shield-Tech-Shield-Spec-Compendium

that's gotta be a typo. he obviously meant absorption and not accuracy.

I don't see how, as he clearly states UNDER HIT CAP, whereby I assume he means accuracy up to 110% special/tech. If it is a typo it's a pretty serious one for a guide meant to inform people new to tanking how to allocate stats. Edited by thrakkemarn

I honestly didnt even look into the spec or aim being the primary stat... honestly because I have my spec and already know the stat stuff...

However, in regards to other advise... I thought it was fairly good but I do admit I didnt read the whole guide.