The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

New player to PT - Newbie questions :)

Steele_dk

Hey guys, been toying with a PT to make a change from my main and i have some pretty basic questions around this class that i hope you can answer :) (If you dont ask you dont get, answers)

• I see the two talents Intimidation and Prototype Burn Enhancers buffs fire dmg and crit, but which abitilies does this exactly mean? Is rocket punch considered a "fire" punch aswell?

• Switching cylinders seem to have a casting time, is this interuptable in pvp?

• Flamethrower is the first ability in swtor that i have seen require an active input to hit the target, does anyone know how wide the cone of the flamethrower is?

and if anyone haves the time to explain briefly the difference between the two damage trees it would be appriciated (So far i am getting that pyrotech is a sorta dot dmg spec with focus on railshot being brought off cd to spam and that advanced prototype is more of a direct burn targets spec with focus on getting the flamethrower upgraded. Rocket punch being an part of every build it seems, pls correct me if i am wrong)

Edited by Steele_dk

[*]I see the two talents Intimidation and Prototype Burn Enhancers buffs fire dmg and crit, but which abitilies does this exactly mean? Is rocket punch considered a "fire" punch aswell?

[*]Switching cylinders seem to have a casting time, is this interuptable in pvp?

[*]Flamethrower is the first ability in swtor that i have seen require an active input to hit the target, does anyone know how wide the cone of the flamethrower is?

and if anyone haves the time to explain briefly the difference between the two damage trees it would be appriciated (So far i am getting that pyrotech is a sorta dot dmg spec with focus on railshot being brought off cd to spam and that advanced prototype is more of a direct burn targets spec with focus on getting the flamethrower upgraded. Rocket punch being an part of every build it seems, pls correct me if i am wrong)

1. Just the ones that say "elemental damage" in the tooltips. No, for rocket punch.

2. With the way the trees have been revamped, I can't really see any benefit of switching cylinders mid fight. Your spec dictates the cylinder you should be using, and switching to a different one will make half of your skill points spent useless. I guess an argument could be made for extremely situational... situations..

3. I believe the tooltip says "a 10 meter cone." It seems to be about 40 degrees in front of you, and it's range stops at 10 meters. It's actually quite a bit bigger than the skill's fire animation.

You were pretty much bang on for your dps spec comparison. You could also add that Pyro is more bursty dps and AP will give you some nice heat management and mobility.

Okay, thank you for answering aarka

Its really a whole new world when you make a new class in this game and so far i am really enjoying the nice fire effect abilities in powertechs arsenal, its really a breath of fresh air from swinging a lightsaber :)

I made the switch from a glowstick user to a vanguard myself, its awesome, the Dmg output I'm putting out at lvl31 is pretty crazy, breaking 400k at 30 is something I've never done on any of my other toons.

I personally enjoy the pyro tree, its assault for me but ill just say pyro for you guys :) my rail shot isn't putting up big numbers yet because I don't have the crit modifier yet in the top of pyro and I haven't picked up the 60% armor pen on rail shot talent yet in the first tier of AP, but all in all this class is awesome. I haven't screwed around with tactics yet because Pyro is the bees knees, so I recommend pyro, you just gotta get used to managing your heat, so make sure you weave in plenty of hammer shots.

My only wish is I wish I would of rolled a bounty hunter instead of a trooper, I'm jelly of rocketpunch and flamethrowers

I made the switch from a glowstick user to a vanguard myself, its awesome, the Dmg output I'm putting out at lvl31 is pretty crazy, breaking 400k at 30 is something I've never done on any of my other toons.

I personally enjoy the pyro tree, its assault for me but ill just say pyro for you guys :) my rail shot isn't putting up big numbers yet because I don't have the crit modifier yet in the top of pyro and I haven't picked up the 60% armor pen on rail shot talent yet in the first tier of AP, but all in all this class is awesome. I haven't screwed around with tactics yet because Pyro is the bees knees, so I recommend pyro, you just gotta get used to managing your heat, so make sure you weave in plenty of hammer shots.

My only wish is I wish I would of rolled a bounty hunter instead of a trooper, I'm jelly of rocketpunch and flamethrowers

I keep getting a pub pvp guild recruiting me. And I keep telling them once Ally can have BH's i'll be there. Until then, I'll stick with my Imp's.

I keep getting a pub pvp guild recruiting me. And I keep telling them once Ally can have BH's i'll be there. Until then, I'll stick with my Imp's.

I have ran into numerous AP's Dardack who have made the switch to Advanced Prototypes thanks to these forums.

I have ran into numerous AP's Dardack who have made the switch to Advanced Prototypes thanks to these forums.

I'm one of them :D After 2 weeks of bad RNG with PPA, I got fed up and switched to AP. I miss the ranged versatility and burst that Pyro provides, but I love the easier heat management and consistent damage on AP.

I'm one of them :D After 2 weeks of bad RNG with PPA, I got fed up and switched to AP. I miss the ranged versatility and burst that Pyro provides, but I love the easier heat management and consistent damage on AP.

Yeah there are times when I miss the burst nature of Pyro, but then I pop HO and am able to keep blowing through people and/or have RB stab a 3rd person and realize I really like AP.