Can EA Bioware prove the naysayers wrong ?

Ushae

Out of curiosity i made a graph based on http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png and http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-1.png

It shows subnumber movement between 1.5 and 4.5 month after launch (to match the release dates of SW:Tors numbers) and while it can't be as accurate as the numbers impley it's still a good way to compare these games.

Here you go:

http://www.chartgo.com/share.do?id=ff183fffaa

Just out of curiosity - where are you getting your data from?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fact

BioWare is doing better at this point on their first mmo than Blizzard did on theirs.

If we keep going at this pace, BioWare's will keep getting better faster. Many refuse to see that WoW was very broken even 6 months on in. That's funny isn't it? If something becomes popular. Everyone ignores the bad things that happened to it.

Far from fact.

Bioware might have fewer outright bugs at this point but 4-6 months into WoW I had much more to do than in SWTOR. Perhaps it was just that leveling was much slower back then so you weren't bored with several max level characters at this point. Perhaps it was actually open world pvp and raids happening (even on a PvE server). Most importantly though it was not having the low population servers with no one online.

fact

BioWare is doing better at this point on their first mmo than Blizzard did on theirs.

If we keep going at this pace, BioWare's will keep getting better faster. Many refuse to see that WoW was very broken even 6 months on in. That's funny isn't it? If something becomes popular. Everyone ignores the bad things that happened to it.

smh just smh

LOL I'm laughing uncontrollably!

First the fanbois say servers are fine. Then they say try joining a popular guild or get more friends..

Then they say it's not BWs fault we rolled on a low pop server, re-roll. THEN they top it off with there's NO evidence that any people have dropped subs or stopped playing alltogether.

500k subs lost last month.

Guess we're the ones still raging about server populations and no content to do endgame for nothing.. right?

The official statement said they had officially sold 2.4 million copies of SWTOR as of the end of April. At the end of Jan they had 1.8 million subscribers total. At the end of April they have 1.3 million total.

It is true WOW had a bit of a bumpy start but they didn't drop like that and they quickly turned the trend into massive growth that was beyond their forecasts.

The problem for Bioware is they released their game in 2011, not 2004. People have already done WOW and changing it to WOW with space swords isn't going to cut it with a now experienced gaming community. They gambled on the story lines/cut scenes and while kind of interesting they are useless once you get to 50 and appear to have taken so much dev time they left out key other features at release.

End game is what is killing all the current MMOs, even WOW. For Bioware horrible lack of foresight concerning LFG, Server population issues and their terrible QA are making the end game issues 10x worse.

It's not an opinion. It's a fact this game is dying. They lost over 25% of their subs, and nearly 50% of box sale subscribers only 5 months after release. THAT IS TERRIBLE.

To put this in prospective, the only games that have had losses in subs are no longer MMOs as they began. They are either dead games or Free to play. In fact, this exact same scenario happened to Star Trek Online, where heavy discontent rained on the forums, fanboys railed against it, mods removed countless threads criticising the game, and then the game completely failed and went free to play.

Where are those developers now? Working for SWTOR of course. The more things change....

If you need further evidence this game is dead, simply login and see half the number of people that used to login just a couple weeks ago prior to 1.2, look at the desperate PR Bioware has done by giving away 30 days to every player after a failed 1.2 patch. Look at their stock price. Look at their quarterly announcement. Literally every indicator there is points to this game's demise, much sooner rather than later. In fact, I bet you anything that the 1.3 million subs INCLUDES people on their 30 free days. The fact that they made sure those 30 days would include the time they had to make this report was no accident either. It's their way of fudging the numbers. Expect massive decline in that number over the next month.

It's not an opinion. It's a fact this game is dying. They lost over 25% of their subs, and nearly 50% of box sale subscribers only 5 months after release. THAT IS TERRIBLE.

To put this in prospective, the only games that have had losses in subs are no longer MMOs as they began. They are either dead games or Free to play. In fact, this exact same scenario happened to Star Trek Online, where heavy discontent rained on the forums, fanboys railed against it, mods removed countless threads criticising the game, and then the game completely failed and went free to play.

Where are those developers now? Working for SWTOR of course. The more things change....

If you need further evidence this game is dead, simply login and see half the number of people that used to login just a couple weeks ago prior to 1.2, look at the desperate PR Bioware has done by giving away 30 days to every player after a failed 1.2 patch. Look at their stock price. Look at their quarterly announcement. Literally every indicator there is points to this game's demise, much sooner rather than later. In fact, I bet you anything that the 1.3 million subs INCLUDES people on their 30 free days. The fact that they made sure those 30 days would include the time they had to make this report was no accident either. It's their way of fudging the numbers. Expect massive decline in that number over the next month.

Everything this man said.

/close every thread discussing IF swtor is declining.

Seriously. How the fanboys keep their head above their own piling BS is astonishing.

Funny cause, I'd say at least 10%-20% of those that are still "active" are still unsubbed. Including mine.

Probably more than that. I would judge a lot of people are waiting out the 30 free days waiting to see if anything improves. Doesn't look likely. I have 20 more days.

No, they can't. The people who are leaving aren't going to come back.

That would be an important statistic to uncover: What percentage of players leaving are gone for good?

I think the subscription model, by its very nature, is less friendly to players wanting to come back.

Edited by Dezzi

Those 1.3 mil active subs are there becuase most of those active subs have a free month up until around the 20th of June i.e next month.

If I didnt have that free month myself I would effectivly unsub on the 14th or 15th this month. Seeing as how I dont log in and play really now, I'm currently occupied with Blood Bowl, waiting on D3. Now instead I'll keep it open until around the 15th of june and give them a small chance to get something right or even a hint of something good to come in 1.3. And no, by good I dont mean more pointless legacy, I mean things that are actually worth paying for.

So there is nothing that implies that those 1.3 mil are active.

Bioware is doing fine, they just need to merge the servers.

Merging server won't fix any problems, y'all need to climb off that soapbox and think for a moment what the source of the problem is.

Low populations on the servers is a symptom of the problem, if you don't fix the source, then the symptom just comes right back.