Issues with holding threat.

Antissa

So I am letting into my guilds weekend runs with my alt guadian tank into hardmode EV and KP. I am finding having issues with aggro. I heard some times ago that its common to struggle with it so I focused hard to train with at leveling went on.

Even so when I do Lost Island or operations I find myself loosing aggro even though I believe I do everything right.

This is what usually happens. I throw saber throw and Force Leap, and uses concentration to get full focus. I land at the mob and use guardian strike then hilt stirke, then blade storm, I then taunt and start using the somewhat obvious rotation/priority list aftre that. What I keep taunt off cd at all times then I use aoe taunt if I loose aggro, which I almost always do. Even after said rotation after the taunt is over I loose aggro to even a guarded target. Then I use aoe taunt ofc, when that is over I loose aggro again.

I have half rakata items and rest columni/tioneese, and still dpsers that are somewhat a bit better geared than me have no problems pulling aggro from me.

On longer bossfights I have easier time holding aggro. I usually struggle with aggro and having a hell holding it the first 30 seconds of a fight but after that its usually easier.

Ive tanked alot in that "other game" so I am no brainless when it comes to tanking either. Is it actually just me (most likely) or is actually guardians the tanking class that is having generally the most issues.

My friend which is often dpsing on his vanguard with me while I tanking takes aggro from me almost all the time and he says making threat both on single targets and aoe threat is alot easier on his vanguard then his impression of the guardian.

Please help. I need tips and hints. Maybe I am missing something important (yes Soresu form is on btw).

Sadly the spec is broken, not you. That along with no vengence makes holding aggro very tough in this game. Hopefully it will be addressed soon!

But it sure is guardian tanks out there who does good, there must be something what they do, what I am missing.

True, and if you are still having issues with threat, it most likely is your dps. Ask them to hold back a bit so you cna build up a good lead, then just use Guardian Slash and Hilt Strike off cd and taunt if you must.

There is no reason why you should be spamming taunt if you already have aggro. Your rotation seems pretty decent and similar to mine, yet I have few problems holding aggro. Sometimes in the beginning of the fight I'll lose it momentarily if a DPSer lays into the boss right away, but after about 30 seconds it's basically unheard of for someone to pull. Don't forget to stasis whenever you can (it's a great threat builder because it ticks while you are using other moves as well). Also always have the highest dps in your group guarded.

usually my opener is Saber Throw > Focus > Leap > Guardian Strike > Sunder > Hilt Strike > Blade Storm > Sweet > Sunder > Stasis then just go into your regular rotation.

I hate to ask, but do you have all of your abilities keybound? If you're not using your abilities as soon as possible on every global cooldown then you're losing both threat and damage by moving your mouse around and clicking slowly.

There is no reason why you should be spamming taunt if you already have aggro. Your rotation seems pretty decent and similar to mine, yet I have few problems holding aggro. Sometimes in the beginning of the fight I'll lose it momentarily if a DPSer lays into the boss right away, but after about 30 seconds it's basically unheard of for someone to pull. Don't forget to stasis whenever you can (it's a great threat builder because it ticks while you are using other moves as well). Also always have the highest dps in your group guarded.

usually my opener is Saber Throw > Focus > Leap > Guardian Strike > Sunder > Hilt Strike > Blade Storm > Sweet > Sunder > Stasis then just go into your regular rotation.

I hate to ask, but do you have all of your abilities keybound? If you're not using your abilities as soon as possible on every global cooldown then you're losing both threat and damage by moving your mouse around and clicking slowly.

in fact, there is a reason to do that :

loock at this article explanation

Taunt generates some threat even though the target is targeting you. I know its odd and unusal but its said to work this way in this game. I keep my aoe taunt as the "getting back taunt" button.

No Ive been tanking with my alt in wow for many years and been playing wow since beta so I stopped mouseclicking while I was playing Star Wars Galaxies on release I believe.

Taunt generates some threat even though the target is targeting you. I know its odd and unusal but its said to work this way in this game. I keep my aoe taunt as the "getting back taunt" button.

No Ive been tanking with my alt in wow for many years and been playing wow since beta so I stopped mouseclicking while I was playing Star Wars Galaxies on release I believe.

I stand corrected! I don't usually have issues holding aggro though and we're in HM EC. I save both my taunts for tank swaps / getting aggro back if I do lose it momentarily.

Edited by Samwiseee

I find that when I open with saber throw > leap > sunder > guardian strike > master strike > hilt strike & anything other than the sunder crits, it's almost impossible for me to lose threat unless I just afk.

I stand corrected! I don't usually have issues holding aggro though and we're in HM EC. I save both my taunts for tank swaps / getting aggro back if I do lose it momentarily.

taunt put you at 110%(melee) or 130%(ranged) threat of the first one in the chart, so only one taunt is needed for tank swap, even if you were afk (and then start hit the mob)

so if you find yourself loosing aggro just do 2 things: taunt on regular basis and ask your dps to use their aggre-lower abiliy:rak_03:

uhm. this might be straight forward but i didnt realize it when i was tanking first time. are you using Enraged Defenses? (or whatever the guardian version of it is) the 3% hp on dmg for 10s. It lowers threat. DONT use it =]

for us is Focused Defence

Here is a link to a video of me tanking HM Toth and Zorn (from our Troopers POV). Thats me on the right hand side of the video.

My spec is 14/25/2, and I keep aggro by DPSing. My single target taunt is blown on swaps only.

DPS just has to be smart on swaps not to pull aggro while the mobs are being positioned. You can notice I use most my heavy hitting stuff when swaps occur (OH slash, Bladestorm, MS, Sweep) just to make sure I stay up on the threat meter. Hope this helps a little.

Edited by Solonius

I find that when I open with saber throw > leap > sunder > guardian strike > master strike > hilt strike & anything other than the sunder crits, it's almost impossible for me to lose threat unless I just afk.

Thanks for this. What about against multiple mobs? For instance, the three droid bosses in HM D7 with the shields. I could not keep the aggro on all 3 of them for the life of me.

Thanks for this. What about against multiple mobs? For instance, the three droid bosses in HM D7 with the shields. I could not keep the aggro on all 3 of them for the life of me.

Multiple mobs can be rough for a Guardian. Force Sweep on CD & Cyclone Slash as much as possible & use that AoE taunt. Single target for us feels pretty good right now, but our AoE threat is pretty poor. In a non aoe situation, just put enough threat on the mobs to keep them off your healer & mark one to have your DPS focus fire down. I have the social marking item thingy i use for stuff like this since right clicking the regular marks takes too long.