SWTOR or Star Wars Galaxies?

I'm trying to figure out what people think about both games, because I've heard mixed opinions. MOST people say they wish Galaxies was still up, or some sort of Star Wars "sandbox" game, not an MMORPG style game, and as for me, I completely agree with that. As much as I love SWTOR, I would much rather be playing Galaxies. My ultimate goal is to try and see if they would be able to bring back the Galaxies servers back online, so people can enjoy a sandbox type game if they want to, or play this if they want to enjoy an MMORPG game. Let's get them thinking guys/girls! :)

I'd also agree that it's something that has been discussed various times in the past, and it's probably a bad idea to provoke further discussions. I played Star Wars Galaxies for over 3 years (Until the end, with only a few brief breaks for personal reasons). I think that it was a unique, fantastic game - it's main flaw was a lack of new content. I also enjoy SWTOR, and I intend to play it for as long as I can.

However, I'll admit that I preferred Galaxies. While this may be the case, it doesn't matter. They will never re-open Star Wars Galaxies. Sony Online Entertainment's contract with Lucas Arts expired as of January 2012. It wouldn't really be a sound financial scheme to spend money maintaining and updating two MMOs. I know that it might keep customers happy, but it wouldn't be financially viable, and Lucas Arts, Bioware and SOE are all profit-making companies.

I'm trying to figure out what people think about both games, because I've heard mixed opinions. MOST people say they wish Galaxies was still up, or some sort of Star Wars "sandbox" game, not an MMORPG style game, and as for me, I completely agree with that. As much as I love SWTOR, I would much rather be playing Galaxies. My ultimate goal is to try and see if they would be able to bring back the Galaxies servers back online, so people can enjoy a sandbox type game if they want to, or play this if they want to enjoy an MMORPG game. Let's get them thinking guys/girls! :)

unfortunatly I cannot see SWG being ressurected.

Prefer TOR really, SWG was nice...but it also had a lot of problems later on. The empty cities everywhere, unbalanced pvp on severs where one side was heavily dominant. Bots, the tedious grind for holocrons for the new jedi cloaks, crafting.....now crafting was ok if you had the time to do it. I had a shipwright, and loved to make ships(just ships) made myself a nice N1-naboo starfighter that was cool.

But...crafting was also a pain, you had to find an empty clear spot, put down the harvester and have it gathered resources. That was alright, but when you wanted to craft a specific thing, you had to have a certain part that was made by this part, or a material to make that one unique part to craft the certain part that you wanted to have.

The good things about SWG imo the stuff, that I enjoyed was this.

--------

1. Housing- I didn't really have a house per-say, my house in SWG was pretty much my YT-2400 and even then it wasn't a house I just had a huge load of stuff on it. Even decked out one of the rooms, into a small mobile Rebel Alliance command center. I did however have a house on Naboo, though it wasn't a house again...it was a lair for tauntauns dubbed "Lair of the Tauntauns." As you can imagine it had holo tauntaun pets running around everywhere,(think if I am remembering...there was....7 of them?) it also snowed inside, had other tauntaun/hoth related things I liked it. Hence my sig as me being the Tauntaun King, I also had an armored tauntaun.

2. Armor- I liked this, i'll say. Getting the armor re-crafted though was a pain, and it wasn't until the Hoth stuff came around that I got the armor I really wanted. When I got the rebel hoth armor set, I was excited looked just like the set from the movies, I also went commando for a time and used an A280 blaster rifle and had a barrel of fun playing like a SpecForce Wilderness Fighter...was awesome. I also had a full set of neutral clone armor with both the DC-15 rifle and carbine, was a neat set too.

3. Heroics- ....Ehh...the only ones I really enjoyed, was IG-88 and Hoth. IG-88 because...well its IG-88 and Hoth because it was different then the other instances....it was more fun, plus ya got to fly snowspeeders.

4. Collections- This...was ok for me, got some neat things, was especially happy when I got my IG-88 statue that was pretty neat. Also finally getting the new cloaks, was nice to have.

5. Space- Was neat, got myself an adv X-wing w/R5 unit, a decked out YT-2400, and I also got a V-wing too...that was cool. But it was for the most part pretty empty(least on my sever.), did have fun taking out the SD from time to time, before it bugged.

6. Vehicles- Was nice too, got the reb faction BARC, had a jetpack(later sold it), an AT-RT, AT-XT, and an AT-PT all nice mounts that I liked.

------

Make no mistake though, I prefer TOR a lot more though.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I want SWG with this game engine.

Prefer TOR really, SWG was nice...but it also had a lot of problems later on. The empty cities everywhere, unbalanced pvp on severs where one side was heavily dominant. Bots, the tedious grind for holocrons for the new jedi cloaks, crafting.....now crafting was ok if you had the time to do it. I had a shipwright, and loved to make ships(just ships) made myself a nice N1-naboo starfighter that was cool.

But...crafting was also a pain, you had to find an empty clear spot, put down the harvester and have it gathered resources. That was alright, but when you wanted to craft a specific thing, you had to have a certain part that was made by this part, or a material to make that one unique part to craft the certain part that you wanted to have.

The good things about SWG imo the stuff, that I enjoyed was this.

--------

1. Housing- I didn't really have a house per-say, my house in SWG was pretty much my YT-2400 and even then it wasn't a house I just had a huge load of stuff on it. Even decked out one of the rooms, into a small mobile Rebel Alliance command center. I did however have a house on Naboo, though it wasn't a house again...it was a lair for tauntauns dubbed "Lair of the Tauntauns." As you can imagine it had holo tauntaun pets running around everywhere,(think if I am remembering...there was....7 of them?) it also snowed inside, had other tauntaun/hoth related things I liked it. Hence my sig as me being the Tauntaun King, I also had an armored tauntaun.

2. Armor- I liked this, i'll say. Getting the armor re-crafted though was a pain, and it wasn't until the Hoth stuff came around that I got the armor I really wanted. When I got the rebel hoth armor set, I was excited looked just like the set from the movies, I also went commando for a time and used an A280 blaster rifle and had a barrel of fun playing like a SpecForce Wilderness Fighter...was awesome. I also had a full set of neutral clone armor with both the DC-15 rifle and carbine, was a neat set too.

3. Heroics- ....Ehh...the only ones I really enjoyed, was IG-88 and Hoth. IG-88 because...well its IG-88 and Hoth because it was different then the other instances....it was more fun, plus ya got to fly snowspeeders.

4. Collections- This...was ok for me, got some neat things, was especially happy when I got my IG-88 statue that was pretty neat. Also finally getting the new cloaks, was nice to have.

5. Space- Was neat, got myself an adv X-wing w/R5 unit, a decked out YT-2400, and I also got a V-wing too...that was cool. But it was for the most part pretty empty(least on my sever.), did have fun taking out the SD from time to time, before it bugged.

6. Vehicles- Was nice too, got the reb faction BARC, had a jetpack(later sold it), an AT-RT, AT-XT, and an AT-PT all nice mounts that I liked.

------

Make no mistake though, I prefer TOR a lot more though.

I hear you on space. My ship was worth more than all of my other things I had put together lol. I wasn't exactly a "poor one" either. I had mando armor for my bh, about 20 sets of +35 stat armor, over 65 cap or near cap weapons, tons of houses with some rare furniture and other rare items, a couple of every type of familiar, a nexu and a hawk-bat (both perfect), a couple of "fun guns" somewhere, did the jedi collection 4 times over, and so many resources and extra space parts that I had to use multiple storage increased houses to put it all away. All of that, and more time and effort - and more money - went into one single ship that I had than went into anything else. The thing had as close to perfect stats as was possible. I miss my ships :(

And I do agree, overall, TOR is a better game. Just not as good of a community feel or setting. And the crafting and GTN need overhauls.

I hear you on space. My ship was worth more than all of my other things I had put together lol. I wasn't exactly a "poor one" either. I had mando armor for my bh, about 20 sets of +35 stat armor, over 65 cap or near cap weapons, tons of houses with some rare furniture and other rare items, a couple of every type of familiar, a nexu and a hawk-bat (both perfect), a couple of "fun guns" somewhere, did the jedi collection 4 times over, and so many resources and extra space parts that I had to use multiple storage increased houses to put it all away. All of that, and more time and effort - and more money - went into one single ship that I had than went into anything else. The thing had as close to perfect stats as was possible. I miss my ships :(

And I do agree, overall, TOR is a better game. Just not as good of a community feel or setting. And the crafting and GTN need overhauls.

Ya same here lol, though I was always kinda poor. Thats another thing, it was always a pain(for me at least) to get a lot of money rolling in. You pretty much had to play the market, which I was not good at, sure I sold a few things here and there but when I finally broke 100mil I was excited and it happened just near the end of the game. Most would probably just go 'lol" now...but its true, I could never seem to guess where all my money went. Here at least, credits are easy to come by and I don't feel so damn poor all the time.

My YT-2400 was so full though lol, full of all different kinds of **** that just looked neat. I literally had no more room to put anything anywhere by the end of it all...case in point heres a few screenshots of a portion of what was on there.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h368/Wolfninja/SWG2.jpg

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h368/Wolfninja/SWG.jpg

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h368/Wolfninja/SWG3.jpg

I had, over 100 different weapons on my YT-2400 I was ready for a boarding party lol. Was one heavily armed smuggler.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Greetings everyone!

We appreciate your feedback and discussion! Since we have a few threads on this topic, and in the interest of consolidation, we are going to close this and ask that you please continue this discussion in the following:

Please feel free to copy and paste any constructive replies to the threads above for further discussion if you wish!

Thank you! :)