Skill Tree Help

Greyle

Looking for some help from the Sentinel experts here as I am new to the class. What is a good build for PvE?

I've read that Watchman is the build to go with however Combat and Focus also seem to have some good things going for them.

I was thinking of going with the following build but would love some advice in case I've left something out or chose something that in reality isn't very useful.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! :)

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501dIdRbRrfsZhMZMz.1

Focus is mostly PvP tree so don't bother with it. Watchman and Combat both have it's own advantages, and which one will do better damage depends on person doing tests, or people you play with. So suit yourself.

If your build is for PvE, there are some bad choices.

Inflammation is useless, mobs don't run away.

Recompense is also useless, since you shouldn't take tamage that can enable Riposte.

Watchguard is mostly PvP talent, in PvE rarely you need that kick in that 2 sec window. And if you have to interrupt, there is 0-range Force Leap.

Reduced CD on Leap is good thing, because it's your second most effective Focus source

Swelling Winds is crappy, because you're not supposed to AoE.

Master Focus is not bad, but there are other options to consider.

Insight affects your DoTs, and while some people say you don't need crit when you can have Zen, I disagree.

Steadfast gives accuracy, and you want accuracy. Reglate it with your gear.

Defensive Roll is very nice little talent that won't help your damage directly(if AoE can be avoided, you should avoid it, otherwise, healers should heal trough), but make it easier for everyone.

Not sure if you are at or near level 50, or you are leveling up. Assuming the latter, I highly recommend going Watchman. It will make your 10-50 experience less aggravating. Particularly since Jedi Knights get their healer companion several planets in. Even with Doc you will find Watchman an easier time.

Ok so I made this revised skill tree with the suggestions above;

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIbRrRrcsZhGZM.1

Thoughts?

Definitely an improvement from your earlier post, imo. However, i would recommend a few more changes.

First, you want to take the 2 points in Burning Focus. This is your only passive focus-builder. Although it doesn't seem like a lot (30% chance for 1 Focus every 1.5 sec), considering you will have your DoTs up as often as possible, you can generate a lot of focus over the course of the fight. This makes it especially nice when you need that 1 last Focus for using Merciless Slash.

Second, to get those 2 points in Burning Focus, you should move the 2 points from either Force Fade or Watchguard. Personally, I would transfer the points from Force Fade. While not that useful in Operations, that 2 second reduction on your interrupt comes in very useful in some Hard Mode Flashpoints. Furthermore, Force Camouflage in PvE is mainly just a threat dump mechanic that gets the boss off you (and back on the tank). Then you would immediately go right back on whacking the boss, which would actually cut your Force Camouflage short of its full duration anyways. Now some may argue that its great for avoiding AoE damage in Operations, which is true, but I believe there are better ways at mitigating such damage, as I explain below.

Third, I recommend investing the 2 points into Defensive Roll. This is a permanent passive reduction to all AoE attacks by 30%. I believe this is better than using Force Camouflage as the damage reduction is comparable (Defensive Roll gives you 30% reduction while Force Camouflage gives you 50% reduction) yet is always up whereas Force Camouflage is only 4 seconds (6 seconds if spec'd) AND while Cloaked you cannot attack lest it breaks your camouflage and you lose that damage reduction. Personally I prefer to continue hammering away at the boss rather than take less damage that any decently geared healer can heal through while standing there like a statue.

Finally, Accuracy is in abundance in the higher tiered gear and, frankly, we don't need a lot of it. Sitting around 100% Accuracy is just fine. So while putting points into Steadfast is recommended, depending on your gear, I'm not sure all 3 points are necessary. Any final points you have may be placed at your please then.

Just in case you are wondering, here is my PvE build for my Watchman Sentinel:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIbRrRMfsZhRMZM.1

Good Luck.

Edited by GhostriderHawk

I suppose it should be said that those skills in various class trees that give +3 accuracy - they are great for leveling up. Not a bad skill to grab, but once you get better gear at the end you can visit that Skill Mentor to get those 3 skill points back.

Definitely an improvement from your earlier post, imo. However, i would recommend a few more changes.

First, you want to take the 2 points in Burning Focus. This is your only passive focus-builder. Although it doesn't seem like a lot (30% chance for 1 Focus every 1.5 sec), considering you will have your DoTs up as often as possible, you can generate a lot of focus over the course of the fight. This makes it especially nice when you need that 1 last Focus for using Merciless Slash.

Second, to get those 2 points in Burning Focus, you should move the 2 points from either Force Fade or Watchguard. Personally, I would transfer the points from Force Fade. While not that useful in Operations, that 2 second reduction on your interrupt comes in very useful in some Hard Mode Flashpoints. Furthermore, Force Camouflage in PvE is mainly just a threat dump mechanic that gets the boss off you (and back on the tank). Then you would immediately go right back on whacking the boss, which would actually cut your Force Camouflage short of its full duration anyways. Now some may argue that its great for avoiding AoE damage in Operations, which is true, but I believe there are better ways at mitigating such damage, as I explain below.

Third, I recommend investing the 2 points into Defensive Roll. This is a permanent passive reduction to all AoE attacks by 30%. I believe this is better than using Force Camouflage as the damage reduction is comparable (Defensive Roll gives you 30% reduction while Force Camouflage gives you 50% reduction) yet is always up whereas Force Camouflage is only 4 seconds (6 seconds if spec'd) AND while Cloaked you cannot attack lest it breaks your camouflage and you lose that damage reduction. Personally I prefer to continue hammering away at the boss rather than take less damage that any decently geared healer can heal through while standing there like a statue.

Finally, Accuracy is in abundance in the higher tiered gear and, frankly, we don't need a lot of it. Sitting around 100% Accuracy is just fine. So while putting points into Steadfast is recommended, depending on your gear, I'm not sure all 3 points are necessary. Any final points you have may be placed at your please then.

Just in case you are wondering, here is my PvE build for my Watchman Sentinel:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIbRrRMfsZhRMZM.1

Good Luck.

I thought about putting points in Defensive Roll but it seems to me there are hardly any AoE attacks from mobs. From what I've observed most attacks are single target no?

I thought about putting points in Defensive Roll but it seems to me there are hardly any AoE attacks from mobs. From what I've observed most attacks are single target no?

In Ops and HMs you run into bosses that have AOE's so being able to absorb some of that helps a lot. And since you are right in the mobs face it is better to not take the chances.

<also a must talent for pvp imo>