Beacon of Help!

Raific

Right now the biggest advantage Pre-Mades have over PUGs is communication. Could Devs please look at putting a Distress Call Alert in? It can be a HotKey and/or a Clickable Button on the mini map that you can simply click once (every 10 seconds to prevent spamming). It would send out an Audible and Flash alert to everyone on the mini map that someone is in trouble and exactly where. It would be nice if it had WHO clicked it, in chat too!

No More hoping someone reads you typed cry for help, spamming chat, yelling Right/Left East/West, Snow/Grass. I mean, this is star wars HOW can this technology NOT be available! :p

Right now the biggest advantage Pre-Mades have over PUGs is communication. Could Devs please look at putting a Distress Call Alert in? It can be a HotKey and/or a Clickable Button on the mini map that you can simply click once (every 10 seconds to prevent spamming). It would send out an Audible and Flash alert to everyone on the mini map that someone is in trouble and exactly where. It would be nice if it had WHO clicked it, in chat too!

No More hoping someone reads you typed cry for help, spamming chat, yelling Right/Left East/West, Snow/Grass. I mean, this is star wars HOW can this technology NOT be available! :p

This idea is very good IMO, and yet very simple. Simple good ideas should be easy to implement. Get to it BW :)

I did put in the OP a time limit to prevent panic spams. Once you hit it, you cannot hit again for 10 secs. That could be increased to 20 or 30 secs as needed. Also, if their name is broadcasted in chat, you can put them on ignore if they are calling wolf too often or report them for spam.

I can't see the helpfulness of this being out shined by the rare occasion of some tool falsely reporting an attack. I mean, they can do that now and I have never seen it.

I did put in the OP a time limit to prevent panic spams. Once you hit it, you cannot hit again for 10 secs. That could be increased to 20 or 30 secs as needed. Also, if their name is broadcasted in chat, you can put them on ignore if they are calling wolf too often or report them for spam.

I can't see the helpfulness of this being out shined by the rare occasion of some tool falsely reporting an attack. I mean, they can do that now and I have never seen it.

15 seconds between uses seems fair. Plus a restriction that it can only be used while in combat.

The abuse I was thinking of is people standing around guarding a node, getting bored, and hitting the "cry wolf" button. Sure, you'd learn quickly who the abusers are, but once they implement cross server queues you will have a lot less accountability and a lot more abuse of everything conceivable.

I disagree on both counts.

A premade biggest advantage is creation, not communication. Its nice an all but it doesnt do alot imo.

You create a team with healers stealthers a ball carrier etc to win

As far as voice goes. People always type into chat suggestions etc and no one listens anyway in pugs, peopel think they are heroes.

And the last thing I want is to listen to random people. I usually turn general chat off because of the idiotic nonsense that people talk about and how wrong they are about classes etc. Do I really want to hear their nonsense? no

I disagree on both counts.

A premade biggest advantage is creation, not communication. Its nice an all but it doesnt do alot imo.

You create a team with healers stealthers a ball carrier etc to win

As far as voice goes. People always type into chat suggestions etc and no one listens anyway in pugs, peopel think they are heroes.

And the last thing I want is to listen to random people. I usually turn general chat off because of the idiotic nonsense that people talk about and how wrong they are about classes etc. Do I really want to hear their nonsense? no

Hows selfish are you ? cant wait till your ilk go to ranked if it ever comes

15 seconds between uses seems fair. Plus a restriction that it can only be used while in combat.

The abuse I was thinking of is people standing around guarding a node, getting bored, and hitting the "cry wolf" button. Sure, you'd learn quickly who the abusers are, but once they implement cross server queues you will have a lot less accountability and a lot more abuse of everything conceivable.

I guess in an extreme case it COULD be abused but I still think that would be very rare. Perhaps I am giving the population too much credit but I still believe this would be a fantastic tool and should not be too complicated to implement. AND it fits in with the SW theme.

I guess in an extreme case it COULD be abused but I still think that would be very rare. Perhaps I am giving the population too much credit but I still believe this would be a fantastic tool and should not be too complicated to implement. AND it fits in with the SW theme.

Like I said, abuse is pretty uncommon right now as a result of all PvP being server locked. If you get yourself a bad reputation no one will let you play. Once they go cross-server you can expect all manner of abuse to skyrocket (think WoW style) thanks to the complete and total lack of accountability.

I like the idea, and it should work great up until cross server goes live.

There was an add-on for Warhammer Online that did this. it was incredibly useful. It let you post an alert in general chat (or whatever channel you set it to) that a World PvP objective was being attacked or an enemy group was sighted.

So say you spotted an enemy raid: "Enemy Warband spotted at/near [Landmark] at [specific map Corodinates]" would be pasted into general chat and also anyone else with the add-on would get a map marker.

If the flag you were guarded was being attacked you could post "[Objective] is under attack" into general chat with a click.

if you wanted to push an objective you could even click the attack order which posted something like "Moving to [objective] from [current location]"

You could also post in different languages too. English, French, German and Russian were all supported so if you know that other raid running around is all French players you can still communicate with them even if not one of them speaks any English.

It didn't work in Scenarios (Warzones) but a similar system could easily be made for SWTOR.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.