The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Shield Tech Tanking - Defensive Soft Caps

Lidirt

No, because there arent any. By the time you start hitting some heavy DR, your shield/absorb are high enough that each % point is worth significantly more than the last. You only see an actual devaluation of the stat when your trinkets are popped, and i feel confident stacking absorb for the other 2/3 of the time.

In reality the choice is only between defense and absorb, as you get enough endurance without gearing for it, we care jack **** about accuracy, and shield rating is on everything with 2 defensive stats anyway.

Don't completely ignore defense, but absorb is generally better for us. Remember, DRs are based on the % you have FROM RATING.

Tl;dr: moar absorbz.

I remember pre-1.2 most tanks were stating that powertech tanks should look to get around 15% defense, 50% Shield 50% absorb. Now obviously pre-1.2 most of us were over these stats. What do you think they new "bar" would be set at for EP?

Hrm, i havent really seen anything like that. I usually plug my numbers into masume's shhet or swtormechanics, fiddle around with looking at stats during trinket proc/use, etc. and figure where to go from there.

Even so, ive been favoring Absorb over defense a bit heavier than stat caps might recommend, as i like the steadier damage income.

I dunno... right now my VG is running with 55.54% absorb (444 rating; so 63.54% with Power Screen up) with 51.00% shield (488 rating) and 11.82% defense (142 rating). I'm starting to feel like they want us to get either more shield on our own or start stacking defense. I still need to replace the mod in my rakata chest (or get campaign) and replace mod in gun (or get campaign) to drop that 102 accuracy for actual mitigation. Gun, head and legs are the only things I've got augmented as of yet (all with +18 absorb) and I maintain my 4piece (even though it seems pretty lackluster and I was willing to get a +53 absorb upgrade to lose it for a while).

So what should the ideal powertech specs be at? Mine are currently at approximately 14% Deff Chance, 51% Shield Chance and 42% absorb (50% once I stack my 4x2 Flame burst buff - this also goes to about 68% with relic proc)

However it seems like since I have modded my gear to these levels I take more damage than before and more than jugg counterparts.

Should I levelize more between deffence rating and shield/absorb or is this close to where it should be for a PT tank?