Jedi, love and children

OneDon

If Jedi should not know love and remove themsleves from any paternal/maternal bonds, marriage and relationships. Then why are there so many examples of them doing this?

So are the Jedi just a bunch of massive skanks and hypocites or is there an unspoken rule for when it's OK to have children?

Two different timeframes the rules are different, and jedi don't really forbid love/relationships otherwise they wouldn't have the whole master/padawan relationship going on. They are more likely forced to forbid those love relationships, because they don't want their fellow jedi going to the darkside because such and such happened with their spouse or child.

There are many examples of the Jedi being hypocrites.

One of my favourites is that between the "evil" Sith Empire, and the "good" Jedi & Republic, only one of those have tried to commit genocide... That's right, the Republic tried to literally wipe the Sith off the face of the galaxy.

One of my favourites is that between the "evil" Sith Empire, and the "good" Jedi & Republic, only one of those have tried to commit genocide... That's right, the Republic tried to literally wipe the Sith off the face of the galaxy.

And later that favor shall be returned.

Two different timeframes the rules are different, and jedi don't really forbid love/relationships otherwise they wouldn't have the whole master/padawan relationship going on. They are more likely forced to forbid those love relationships, because they don't want their fellow jedi going to the darkside because such and such happened with their spouse or child.

My understanding was BBY relationships between lovers and nuturing caring for offspring was bad, evil and a route to the dark side.

New republic era following the Luke Skywalker reforms of the Jedi, relationships betwen lovers, caring and nuturing offspring was accepted.

Thing is we see a number of examples of Jedi falling in love (and not the love between Master and Padawan/Apprentice, the proper kind lie we see in both Kotor games), having children and maintaining those relationships.

Lucien Dray (KOTOR comic book) was the son of two Jedi's and had a relationship with his mother, though strained. But equally what I'm getting at is that the Jedi would have you believe that they are chaste and anything less is wrong but as Bastila and "our" paragon that is Satele have proven they've both had children.

So, the real question is, when is sex OK for a Jedi? If it is but formal relationships aren't, then aren't the Jedi just a bunch of intergalatic skanks?

(I may or may not have put too much thought into it).

These are some select anomalies, 20 Jedi procure relationships and even kids, the other 1000 do not, some small percentage, all the more unique, narrative characters whom be snowflakes and other misfits for the sake of narration, doesn't justify you to do the same.

Same case lies with, 5 all time Sith happened to have a yellow or blue saber, but the other 5000 for some ''unlogical'' reason all used the traditional, crimson red. But because ''this one dude did'' people justify themselves to wield just whatever ludicrous colour they can come up with.

I'm not sure on this, but doesn't Kira explain that only two Jedi who have basically been raised in the Order allowed to marry? so that would make it ok for the Jedi Knight or consular, but not Kira since she wasn't raised in the Order.

Like I said, I'm not sure, cause I have yet to play a Knight, but did watch a video on Kira

The Jedi Order wanted its members to be eunuchs. Or an equivalent to a celibate monk. Or nothing better than emotionless droids. Anything else is straying from what the Order considers "ideal." There is no marriage and having offspring. That's supposed to be a huge no-no. Why the hell do you think Anakin Skywalker was in such a bind by staying a Jedi and maintaining a relationship with Padme? And the retarded advice Yoda gave him when Anakin came to him for help?

So much for the wisdom of an 800-year old Grand Master of the Jedi Order, and the "ideals" of such an organization.

Again, the Jedi want emotionless droids. You get as much from the Prequels.

Edited by LemmingLeader

Maybe if the Sith didn't try and kill everyone that disagreed with them, stood up to them or they just didn't like.

Sith murder alot of people, and in my opinion, if you murder, you deserve the death penalty. Eye for an eye

Maybe if the Sith didn't try and kill everyone that disagreed with them, stood up to them or they just didn't like.

Sith murder alot of people, and in my opinion, if you murder, you deserve the death penalty. Eye for an eye

They wiped out almost the entire SIth species, that included all the non-combatants (innocents ... well mostly) including Sith children. Not just the SIth Order.

They wiped out almost the entire SIth species, that included all the non-combatants (innocents ... well mostly) including Sith children. Not just the SIth Order.

After the war, the Republic wanted to seal the deal and be sure that the Sith Order was demolished. The easiest way was, genocide. Of course the Jedi advised against it, but the Senate didn't care. So, forces of the Republic flew to Korriban and laid waste to -everything- they could. Most casualties were mere civilians who took no place in the war, however many Sith were killed in the ambush. Those that escaped, landed on Dromund Kaas and rebuilt.

The Jedi align themselves with the Republic, but do not have a powerful sway on what the Republic does. They are the protecters of the Republic, not leaders. Unlike the Sith Empire, which is obviously ran by the Sith.

Back to the matter on Jedi relationships. From what I've heard, few Jedi are allowed to marry. They are usually the ones that have proven that they do not create emotional bonds. The Jedi Council checks up on the couple and if they suspect that they have became too emotionally attached, the Council will seperate the two and take away their ability to marry. If a Jedi couple has a child, it is usually given to the Jedi Order for proper education and training.

After the war, the Republic wanted to seal the deal and be sure that the Sith Order was demolished. The easiest way was, genocide. Of course the Jedi advised against it, but the Senate didn't care. So, forces of the Republic flew to Korriban and laid waste to -everything- they could. Most casualties were mere civilians who took no place in the war, however many Sith were killed in the ambush. Those that escaped, landed on Dromund Kaas and rebuilt.

The Jedi align themselves with the Republic, but do not have a powerful sway on what the Republic does. They are the protecters of the Republic, not leaders. Unlike the Sith Empire, which is obviously ran by the Sith.

Disagree in the Jedi's Republic influence. The Jedi Order is the Republic's sword, or at VERY LEAST the sharp end. If the Grand Master had reason to go & cuss out the Supreme Chancellor.....yeeeaa pretty sure S.C. would take note.

Like or not, the Galactic Republic got the genocide bouncy ball rolling. I'm also willing to bet at least a couple Jedi Council members (or elders/knights/etc.) approved. All for the 'greater good' of the galaxy of course......

Edited by Darth_Solrac

Disagree in the Jedi's Republic influence. The Jedi Order is the Republic's sword, or at VERY LEAST the sharp end. If the Grand Master had reason to go & cuss out the Supreme Chancellor.....yeeeaa pretty sure S.C. would take note.

Like or not, the Galactic Republic got the genocide bouncy ball rolling. I'm also willing to bet at least a couple Jedi Council members (or elders/knights/etc.) approved. All for the 'greater good' of the galaxy of course......

The Jedi Order of course has tremendous sway within the Republic. Let's look in the Prequels' timeframe. Are you telling me Jedi in various rank and experience, from newly minted Knights to Masters, and almost all with NO military experience and leadership, are just instantly granted generalship over large numbers of troops?

Just because you can effectively use a lightsaber and use the force does not make a person a trained leader and effective tactician and strategist. But a Jedi can magically show up and say, "I'm in charge!" and the senior soldier / trooper has to fall in line.

Just like in the Sith Empire! :p

Back to the matter on Jedi relationships. From what I've heard, few Jedi are allowed to marry. They are usually the ones that have proven that they do not create emotional bonds. The Jedi Council checks up on the couple and if they suspect that they have became too emotionally attached, the Council will seperate the two and take away their ability to marry. If a Jedi couple has a child, it is usually given to the Jedi Order for proper education and training.

What's this? More Star Wars EU wishy-washiness? The Prequel movies made it blatantly clear there's supposed to be no emotional attachments. A Jedi is not supposed to have any emotional connections, attachments to the world. You're not supposed to zoom off and raise a family on a ranch in the plains of Naboo. Not in the Old Jedi Order that preceded Luke's new Order. Hell, even in KOTOR I there was a large stink about relationships that Jolee Bindo made about this whole farce of the Jedi Order's ideals.

This is the Jedi Order that is super-hardcore traditionalist. It frowns on its own members that are effective, loyal, but not exactly posterboy Jedi material, i.e. Qui-Gon Jin.

Just more reasons why Star Wars EU is becoming more stupid. They will bust the balls of a player Jedi for having love, emotional attachments, and *gasp* an offspring. Yet I start SWTOR and I see the decendent of Bastila Shan as the freakin' Grand Master of the Jedi Order? They become to contradict the theme of the movies and make more stupid things "canon."

Edited by LemmingLeader

Interesting , who are the 5 sith with yellow or blue sabers. I think I know of two.

Was merely using an insignificant number to make a point, I know of two as well, but hey, making room for another three ain't a big deal, some misc licensed comic writer is bound to go for snowflaky things, in order to make his ****** comic deviate and thus attract some attention to itself.

Where did it say the Jedi fought against genocide? I was under the impression that it was the Jedi Masters who called for the Sith to be exterminated.