Possible Cover bug after patch

Sagaboy

In Voidstar after patch, I was trying to roll into natural cover. The roll animation would fire off but then I'd stand up. I knew it was possibly a bug because I can just keep doing it. If you're facing the V-star doors (attacking team) - natural cover would not work on the left door box for some reason. I was able to roll into natural cover on the right door crate stack but not the left.

There were other cover problems but I'll have to test more to see. Just putting it out there so other snipers can check into it.

**CONFIRMED** Natural Cover is messed up in multiple locations in Void star and Huttball

*EDIT* I'm just going to list all the things I've found wrong thus far

1) NATURAL COVER BUG: Natural Cover does not work in several places (in WZ's). Roll animation fires, and you do not gain cover.

-This is most noticeable for me in V-star where I use this to roll past attacks, entrench, and stop door caps.

2) SKILLS REQUIRING COVER BUG: Sometimes you will crouch into the cover (w/ no screen) position and "some" cover abilities will work. (Example: explosive probe will, but entrench won't)

-This happened to me quite a few times while attempting to cover for an assault on a novare coast bunker. I would crouch not see my cover screen, hit entrench (it wouldn't work), apply explosive probe (it did work), and then sit there unable to snipe, SoS, ambush, etc.

3) PORTABLE INSTEAD of NATURAL COVER BUG: If you're near natural cover and try to enter it you will eventually (after repeated attempts) gain standard portable but never roll into natural cover.

-When trying to repeatedly enter natural cover in Novare Coast the system essentially bargained with me and said instead of natural take some portable. There was no roll to even attempt entering natural cover. My guy just kind of sat there fidgeting and finally decided to enter portable cover.

4) INCONSISTENT COVER DELAY BUG: When trying to activate cover and then cover pulse there is a delay. Using portable cover and then instantly clicking for cover pulse will *sometimes* yield a "you must be in cover to use..." message.

- This may be a lot of factors working together; however, there seems to be a delay for some skills. I freely admit that this might just be me, or that it is tied to some other issue. But I've had great difficulty using cover pulse and other skills directly after dropping cover. I never wait for the P. screen animation I just drop and fire. But every now and again I get the "you must be in cover to use..." message although I'm technically already in cover. After a second or so I can then use the skill.

5) UNKNOWN something or other BUG: Whatever the bug is where you can't deploy cover in certain spot. Well I'm getting it more now than ever.

-Saw this one in V. Star a lot too specifically near columns and LoS objects.

Edited by Sagaboy
made a list of bugs

Its happenning to Gunslingers as well.

I don't use take cover... i use crouch, so i always crouch in position...

after the patch though i'll hit crouch and it'll start the animation and then stop. Happens alot in warzones, but ive also been able to recreate it in the fleet as well. Sometimes you just don't go into cover.

To be honest this makes MM and MM/Eng specs unplayable at the moment. I cant use my sniper if i cant even use my cover while moving.

I will probably have to switch to lethality till they fix this. I contacted Customer Services, they know about the bug but they havent told me any eta about a fix.

they know about the bug but they havent told me any eta about a fix.

As the person above you posted, switch from Cover to Crouch. I made the switch a long time ago. I don't see any downside. Only positives...

Problem still exists with crouch for me, I have been using crouch all this time,

However after patch I tried, take cover, take cover in place keybind on options and crouch

none of them working for me.

Had the same problem today in huttball when I tried to crouch, got me killed in the most stupid way in the world to someone i could have killed in a second if i was in cover. thankfully it didn't happen again till now... though I do think it will when i need it the most. Edited by SoraQuasar

As the person above you posted, switch from Cover to Crouch. I made the switch a long time ago. I don't see any downside. Only positives...

Crouch is also bugged if you try to use it when moving. You drop in, stand up, don't get your cover bar/are unable to use cover only abilities, and can be locked in place until the cover screen fades (although sometimes it seems to let me move and sometimes not).

Edited by Celacia

Crouch is also bugged if you try to use it when moving.

Um... working as intended? Crouch by it's nature requires that you be stationary, if you move then you leave cover. I'm not sure what your expectation is with this.

this is game breaking for pvp and some pve situations. it's killing my mobility and reaction times. this needs to be hotfixed tonight. Can't crouch while moving, cant crouch in place sometimes. entrench only works about 50% of the time and most skills are delayed so badly i die in seconds now. :/ Edited by Lithy

Um... working as intended? Crouch by it's nature requires that you be stationary, if you move then you leave cover. I'm not sure what your expectation is with this.

You have to stop, pause momentarily, and then hit it or it doesn't work. You can't just stop and crouch in 'one motion'.

You have to stop, pause momentarily, and then hit it or it doesn't work. You can't just stop and crouch in 'one motion'.

Exactly, before pushing crouch would 'auto stop u' now it breaks u if u dont stop. stands till for a good second, and then crouch. immediately stopping and then crouching still has a high probability to bug you.

I will assume that you havent played sniper before,

You cant play sniper without walking around and going cover immidiatelyand going to cover while switching phases or getting out of aoe is essential.

ATM you have to stand still for few moments before you can put your cover. It has never been intended that way

Hi all,

You can find a post by Associate Online Community Manager Joveth Gonzalez on the topic of cover issues post 1.2.2 right here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=4217499#edit4217499

Hi folks, thanks for reporting this. We've confirmed and added this to our list of Known Issues and we are now working on a fix for an upcoming patch. Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Hope that helps!

Cover is broken for me now too. I try to roll into cover and nothing happens or I roll half way to the cover point and stop. Can't use cover only skills even while in cover can hear the sound of my knock back firing but it never fires.

GJ Bioware, it's hard enough trying to play this game as a sniper / gunslinger already when our skills actually work.

A potential workaround is to try a skill respec to Lethality. My best guess is that this bug is related to some unknown change to either Cover Screen or Ballistic Dampers. As a full Lethality build (2/8/31) I have had no issues at all with using crouch and I have been playing all afternoon since the patch.

So if you're using Take Cover, try using crouch instead and if you are MM try a different spec to see if that helps avoid the problems until they can find and fix the bug you are seeing.

this is game breaking for pvp and some pve situations. it's killing my mobility and reaction times. this needs to be hotfixed tonight. Can't crouch while moving, cant crouch in place sometimes. entrench only works about 50% of the time and most skills are delayed so badly i die in seconds now. :/

Don't forget to add that Entrench will sometimes, irregularly, be cancelled with Diversion. Cover Pulse doesnt always knock targets back that have no resolve. Or When Cover Pulse does knock them back, due to server lag or something, knocks them the wrong way. Gotta love crouching, Stun, CP and they go flying into the goal line, even with correct positioning.

Edited by aesirize

Don't forget to add that Entrench will sometimes, irregularly, be cancelled with Diversion. Cover Pulse doesnt always knock targets back that have no resolve. Or When Cover Pulse does knock them back, due to server lag or something, knocks them the wrong way. Gotta love crouching, Stun, CP and they go flying into the goal line, even with correct positioning.

Guardians and Jugs can be immune to CC after a leap if talented for a short time, but I've noticed that on other classes too. I've always had diversion break entrench when used on me and when i use it on others, the animation doesn't always go away but it breaks cover. It's a debuff not a CC so I think that is WAI.

Died twice while soloing Poisonous Strategy tonight, which is unusual as I normally tear it up. Not being able to be in cover when the melee mob comes at you will kill you. Figured it out and got it done, but yeah, that's a serious issue. Doing ops tomorrow night and I for one can't wait for my cover to fail while I'm trying to burst down bombardiers and won't have my abilities up when I really, really need them. Even losing one second can be the difference between success and a wipe on 8 man.

Confirming 'Crouch' is bugged. It will put up your shield but you keep standing if you happen to press any key at all while going into cover. 'Take cover' is also sort of bugged but i only tend to use it in a situation where i need to so i cant really confirm it. Are they going to acknowledge this bug yet?

Confirming 'Crouch' is bugged. It will put up your shield but you keep standing if you happen to press any key at all while going into cover. 'Take cover' is also sort of bugged but i only tend to use it in a situation where i need to so i cant really confirm it. Are they going to acknowledge this bug yet?

They did acknowledge it, and they said it will be fixed in the next patch. If that means a hotfix soon or that we have to wait until the next Monday night maintenance is anyone's guess.