Load times SUCK!

MrLeee

I have win7 on a ssd and swtor installed on a second. My load times are fast, like <10 sec.

Balmorra? Corellia? I find that hard to believe.

For you see, I have the following system specs:

• Windows 7 64-bit
  • Intel i7 @ 3.2GHz
  • 16GB of DDR3 RAM running @ 2000MHz
  • 4x120GB SSD drives running in RAID-0
  • 2xATI 4870x2 in SLI

Loading Times: (used the space bar to skip all cut scenes of the ship flying down)

• Imperial Fleet: 14 seconds
  • My Ship: 8 seconds
  • Alderaan: 55 seconds
  • Balmorra: 32 seconds
  • Corellia: 58 seconds
  • Voss (because my alt is there): 35 seconds

I consider some of these loading times to be annoying at the very least. I couldn't imagine what they're like for people who don't have a beast of a system to run this game.

EDIT: Given someone suggested my 2nd generation SSDs aren't fast enough to speed up the load times, I present the following numbers for my RAID-0 setup using Crystal Disk Mark 3.0.1c:

• Sequential: Read - 687.4 MB/s, Write 258.9 MB/s
  • Random: Read - 441.9 MB/s, Write 287.7 MB/s

Edited by ironix

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My frame-rate is great , also after i load in after 3 mins it plays really smooth .

I am happy there are people on here that load up in ten seconds or so .. that is all i want and i have upgraded and updated and tuned my whole system.. yet i still have loading issues.

this is not an issue that only a few have. lots and lots do and yes some it might be just an upgrade and update, but it is an issue for a lot us that is not addressed proper

Even Bioware with a demo machine (which are usually top of the line in order to make the game "look good" in front of the audience) is having a load time of 25-30 sec for Illum (I would be curious to know what their load time for Alderaan and Tatooine is..). For your average customer, the load time is usually worse, unless you have a geek tuned machine.

See here, at PAX EAST 2012 with the 1.2 build demo, at min 13:42 when the character runs to the ship door and load illum. It takes 25 sec for one of Bioware demo rigs.

Funny thing is that they (at Bioware) are painfully aware of the load time, as they are shuffling their feet while waiting for the illum spacestation to come up.. 30 sec of wait in front of a crowd is embarassing.

So yes, the load time is bad, and it has become worse with 1.2 for me too.

For you see, I have the following system specs:

• Windows 7 64-bit
  • Intel i7 @ 3.2GHz
  • 16GB of DDR3 RAM running @ 2000MHz
  • 4x120GB SSD drives running in RAID-0
  • 2xATI 4870x2 in SLI

Loading Times: (used the space bar to skip all cut scenes of the ship flying down)

• Imperial Fleet: 14 seconds
  • My Ship: 8 seconds
  • Alderaan: 55 seconds
  • Balmorra: 32 seconds
  • Corellia: 58 seconds
  • Voss (because my alt is there): 35 seconds

I consider some of these loading times to be annoying at the very least. I couldn't imagine what they're like for people who don't have a beast of a system to run this game.

Judging by the rest of your components, my guess is that you are using only 2nd gen SSDs, or at least your motherboard supports only up to 3Gb/s SATA Controller. In that case a 3rd gen SSD probably has more than double your speed (500-575 vs 200-275). Ergo the difference.

I am happy there are people on here that load up in ten seconds or so .. that is all i want and i have upgraded and updated and tuned my whole system.. yet i still have loading issues.

Those that are claiming <10 second load times are either lying or only referring to loading into the fleet or their ship. See my above post and system specs and you'll see a true representation of load times for those of us who have fantastic systems.

My frame-rate is great , also after i load in after 3 mins it plays really smooth .

this is not an issue that only a few have. lots and lots do and yes some it might be just an upgrade and update, but it is an issue for a lot us that is not addressed proper

Internet connection? The hubs they are routing through?

If I'm beating you on my six year old machine, basic trouble shooting technique dictates that there is something occurring between the client and server that.

Judging by the rest of your components, my guess is that you are using only 2nd gen SSDs, or at least your motherboard supports only up to 3Gb/s SATA Controller. In that case a 3rd gen SSD probably has more than double your speed (500-575 vs 200-275). Ergo the difference.

So the answer is a SSD? Why is it then I can load up Rift and it's zones in like 1/4 the time it takes to load zones in TOR? Same for WoW. I know..WoW;s graphics are not near as good as TOR's, but you cannot say the same thing about Rift. Which actaully has better graphics than TOR does IMO.

Those that are claiming <10 second load times are either lying or only referring to loading into the fleet or their ship. See my above post and system specs and you'll see a true representation of load times for those of us who have fantastic systems.

I'm beating you by about 30 seconds to Alderaan and Corellia there skip. Quesh is my longest load time. You are beating me by a few seconds at the ship. YOUR one time test does not a conclusion make, and it is childish as hell attempting to infer that another is lying because you demonstrate an inability to rationally draw a coloration between your data and the issue at hand.

So the answer is a SSD? Why is it then I can load up Rift and it's zones in like 1/4 the time it takes to load zones in TOR? Same for WoW. I know..WoW;s graphics are not near as good as TOR's, but you cannot say the same thing about Rift. Which actaully has better graphics than TOR does IMO.

Already explained earlier. The content (in terms of size of data, not size of area or playable time) contained within a single planet rivals that of an entire continent in WoW. Without SSD you'd spend around 40-50 seconds loading a continent like Northrend, more so for EC or Kalim, without addons. Extra addons then slow down the loading time even more.

I can imagine that the loading time may feel long for the average player with regular HDDs, but there is nothing that can be done about it for content that has already been created. There is no magical solution to simple raw massive size with the current infrastructure.

Windows 7 ultimate 64bit

ASUS M5A99X EVO AMD 990X AM3+ Motherboard

AMD FX-6100 Processor - Six Core

Corsair Vengeance Desktop Memory Kit - 16gb 1600mhz

Ultra LSP750 750-Watt

1tb 7200 rpm hdd

EVGA GeForce GTX 560

Can't see where the bottleneck would be? unless it is not me.. which it is not

Oh and nope my connection to the server is great , my lat is always 42 ms to 50 ms

Edited by hijaxhfx

Small areas rely a lot less on speed of disk drive. In fact people with regular 7200rpm HDDs can achieve 10 seconds on Fleet/Ship if the rest of their spec is good.

As said earlier, chances are you are using 2nd Gen SSDs, and players with 3rd Gen SSDs will have more than double your speed, ergo we get even faster loading time. That's not top of the line either. If some people are rich enough to afford hybrid drives, the loading speed may be even tinier.

I would be very happy with 10 to 20 second load times.

Loading from my ship to certain planets {or the space station of said planet} takes me more than 2 minutes.

Loading from a planet to my ship takes more than 1 minute.

I play on an ASUS G73 that is 1 year old.

I don't think people should have to buy or build super uber rigs to play a game that is meant to be played by the masses.

In game my latency is low and my fps high.

I think this engine they use is just borked and we're stuck with it.

Windows 7 ultimate 64bit

ASUS M5A99X EVO AMD 990X AM3+ Motherboard

AMD FX-6100 Processor - Six Core

Corsair Vengeance Desktop Memory Kit - 16gb 1600mhz

Ultra LSP750 750-Watt

1tb 7200 rpm hdd

EVGA GeForce GTX 560

Can't see where the bottleneck would be? unless it is not me.. which it is not

HDD, then GPU. Fortunately your motherboard fully supports 3rd gen SSDs.

I'm at work so it's quite possible I'm exaggerating a bit. Can't check until tonight. Rest of my system is 2500k@4.5, 8gb ram, HD7970 overclocked significantly.

They are 2nd generation, but running in RAID-0 more than makes up for the difference. Here are the numbers from Crystal Disk Mark 3.0.1c:

Now, given these numbers, do you think the load times are acceptable?

Summary from data posted in the thread and some guesstimation:

Small Area (Fleet/Ship):

HDD 10-30 secs

2nd gen SSD: ~10 secs

3rd gen SSD: ~10 secs

Normal Planet (Tatooine):

HDD - 2 mins

2nd gen SSD: ~30 secs

3rd gen SSD: ~10 secs

Heavy Planet (Corelia):

HDD - 3 mins

2nd gen SSD: ~1 min

3rd gen SSD: 10-20 secs

Even Bioware with a demo machine (which are usually top of the line in order to make the game "look good" in front of the audience) is having a load time of 25-30 sec for Illum (I would be curious to know what their load time for Alderaan and Tatooine is..).

Timings loading: 13:46 start loading, ended loading at 14:21. thats 35 sec.

They are 2nd generation, but running in RAID-0 more than makes up for the difference. Here are the numbers from Crystal Disk Mark 3.0.1c:

Now, given these numbers, do you think the load times are acceptable?

It's not about acceptable or not, it's about you calling other players liars. I think 1 minute loading time is acceptable on large planets you'd spend hours on, and I don't really care if you think that's acceptable or not.

However what I've proven is that your spec is not top of the line. Other players with faster HDDs in RAID-0 will still outstrip you in terms of loading speed, thus defying your assumption that they must be lying.

ADD: I notice that your Write speed is not impressive. I lack evidence on this and have not investigated, but here is a possibility: is it not possible that during loading certain cache files have to be created? If that's the case then a significantly slower writing time will have an effect.

Edited by GhoXen

my 21 sec tat load is sata 3, non-raid

SATA 3 can mean HDD as well...:confused:

What about the rest of your specs? A slower GPU/CPU/RAM can also contribute to a difference even if you are referring to 3rd gen SSD. And even if you have a 3rd gen SSD you may have one of those cheaper budget SSDs with significantly slower speed than the other of 3rd SSDs, so provide a clear name.

Edited by GhoXen

I think 1 minute loading time is acceptable on large planets you'd spend hours on, and I don't really care if you think that's acceptable or not.

Sure, if that's all you're going to do, quest on the planet and eventually leave. Some of us enjoy queueing up for PvP while questing and that's where we start to get annoyed with the loading times.

I suggest you take a look at the following thread, as I honestly don't think a game like SW:TOR should have such horrendous loading times when I can play much more intensive games with better frame rates and loading times.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=427878

Sure, if that's all you're going to do, quest on the planet and eventually leave. Some of us enjoy queueing up for PvP while questing and that's where we start to get annoyed with the loading times.

I suggest you take a look at the following thread, as I honestly don't think a game like SW:TOR should have such horrendous loading times when I can play much more intensive games with better frame rates and loading times.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=427878

I don't care about that topic of yours. What's settled is that you erred in calling others liars. They did not lie, you made assumptions based on limited information and knowledge and erred. Do not discredit the information they provided.

Edited by GhoXen

vertex 3 SSD.

Load times while in fleet to warzone and back acceptable.

Load times to a warzone from a planet. No acceptable. Often miss a warzone requeue due to load times.

Game has some serious asset management issues. It isn't my PC. Sorry. Skyrim skyrockets on my SSD.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.