Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Do me a favor,Bioware...

Dcayd

... and take the ability name and animation for Impale and swap it with Shatter. Leave the actual abilities alone of course.

Reasoning is two-fold:

Firstly, Shatter is aesthetically more pleasing to look at, but I use Impale a lot more.

Secondly, Impaling someone seems much more likely to cause severe bleeding than simply pummeling them with your weapon.

If you want to get technical, no lightsaber attacks would cause much bleeding since the arc in energy would cauterize the wounds. :rolleyes:

On the original topic, Impale seems right. You jump up and bring your saber down in a stabbing motion, Shatter looks more like a twirling slash.

If you want to get technical, no lightsaber attacks would cause much bleeding since the arc in energy would cauterize the wounds. :rolleyes:

On the original topic, Impale seems right. You jump up and bring your saber down in a stabbing motion, Shatter looks more like a twirling slash.

I would of thought impale would be to thrust the lightsaber forward into their chest impaling them? lol

If you want to get technical, lightsabers are plasma, not energy. Also there are numerous canonical instances of lightsabers leaving bleeding wounds: Ponda Baba's arm in ANH, the Wampa's arm in ESB, and the red mist blood spray when Obi-Wan cuts Maul in half in TPM.

I think you understood me. Impale's animation more or less matches the name, but I don't think it matches the actually ability affect. Shatter's name and animation implies it would do a lot of damage and not so much secondary damage. I.E. Shatter, crush, destroy vs Impale, pierce, stab.

Think of it this way: in a movie if someone swings a sword at someone else in a wide sweeping motion what usually happens? Typically it outright kills the person. But when someone impales someone else on a sword the person usually dies much more slowly as they slowly bleed out.

As far as the physics of lightsabers: no one in the movies has to be whacked multiple times with a lightsaber to die, but we typically have to hit someone a dozen times or so to kill them, so I'm not really that worried about whether or not they could cause bleeding.

Edited by Dcayd

If you want to get technical, lightsabers are plasma, not energy. Also there are numerous canonical instances of lightsabers leaving bleeding wounds: Ponda Baba's arm in ANH, the Wampa's arm in ESB, and the red mist blood spray when Obi-Wan cuts Maul in half in TPM.

There was blood, yes. But not to the point of "bleeding out".

There was blood, yes. But not to the point of "bleeding out".

Which is why the Impale dot could never possibly kill anyone.

:cool:

Shatter is actually a pure force attack - even the initial hit is internal damage - the lightsaber is merely a means of delivery. Technically, the lightsaber probably wouldn't even have to hit the target, just be waved at them so that the force hits them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.