Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Played WoW after SWTOR: My Reactions

Sindorin

So, I have been a loyal player of Star Wars: The Old Republic since launch, and I've been playing pretty much nonstop. I took a break this past week to pick World of Warcraft back up to see how I would react after playing SWTOR for so long. The result was particularly jarring. Namely, I fell asleep. Or rather I got drowsy simply sitting in my chair, hitting the '1' key repeatedly for the first 10 levels. Combat was incredibly boring. I don't even know how in the world I even found it entertaining, though I suspect it was because I had yet to play SWTOR in it's entirety.

Another thing, was the graphics. They felt too hamfisted, and dated. I realize that the game is older (what, around 7 years now?) however with the stylized realism, it's not hard on my machine and I can still enjoy places like Tatooine and Hoth in all it's glory. The environment is particularly well done. I look at Silvermoon city and I feel like, "Meh. Ok, it's big..." Nothing too spectacular. There aren't any blizzards or snow drifts or anything that feels ambient or plausible. It's just a giant fortress in the middle of no where essentially.

Also, questing. Oh, my dear lord, if I have to kill another X amount of rats or bunnies or chupacabras without any sort of reason, I will kill myself. I mean really, story does matter. It makes it a little less monotonous and while the bonus quests and many of the main quests occasionally have this, at least you get options and voice overs. It's not as bad is what i am trying to point out.

Lastly, PvP. I love it. That is all.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Play Tera for 1 hour, that's all. You'll never accept anything less when it comes to combat mechanics. I urge everyone to do it.

Yes, it's NOT sci-fi. I'm a huge sci-fan. However I enjoy MMOs more. As long as....they're entertaining. Combat in all current MMOs is the same, the exact same 5 or 6 animations. No thought is required.

Wow is dated, it was good while it lasted. SWTOR failed on launch day due to greed, it's on it's last breath.

Imagine a game where you have to AWAKE and pay attention or you'll die. No. SWTOR is a snoozefest.

Play Tera for 1 hour, that's all. You'll never accept anything less when it comes to combat mechanics. I urge everyone to do it.

Yes, it's NOT sci-fi. I'm a huge sci-fan. However I enjoy MMOs more. As long as....they're entertaining. Combat in all current MMOs is the same, the exact same 5 or 6 animations. No thought is required.

Hmmm, so the fact that I and many other players want additional quickbars because we have too wide variety of abilities all of which function differently from one another is just, what, an illusion?

People can hate WoW all they want but it's still the #1 and most successful MMO out there. I'm not a huge fan of it but it's still a good game that has plenty of features.

As the other guy has said, TERA is the way to go. Some people my look at it and think it's a Korean MMO and grindy and has the "fairy" style theme but beyond that there's SO much more in that game. I thought it was just going to be an Aion 2.0 but it's actually a really fun game. You have to pay attention vs boss fights or you'll die nearly instantly. They have a GvG system, a ranked PvP/Political system, open world PvP anywhere you want, and they'll have battlegrounds and arena type PvP before the end of summer.

...Imagine a game where you have to AWAKE and pay attention or you'll die. No. SWTOR is a snoozefest.

I've been getting sleepy playing SWTOR lately. The forums seem to be more entertaining as of late. ;)

If you want an insane amount of abilities with a ton of action bars, I'd recommend Rift.

Edited by Skyzen

Really? Seems to me like it's just starting to get really good.

That being said... why are you still playing?

SWTOR launched too early. They focused too much on the LOLVoiceOvers. Sorry if you can't see that. The game should have launched with everything from 1.2 + the ranked warzones.

It still has a future but it's not going to be like the one many people visioned. Luckily, EA was able to make back all their money they put into this game due to initial sales.

Also, questing. Oh, my dear lord, if I have to kill another X amount of rats or bunnies or chupacabras without any sort of reason, I will kill myself. I mean really, story does matter. It makes it a little less monotonous and while the bonus quests and many of the main quests occasionally have this, at least you get options and voice overs. It's not as bad is what i am trying to point out.

Well, I don't really care about what game you choose to play and you seem happy with swtor, but WoW actually has story for the quests. It's just you have to actually read it. If you've actually played video games for more than about 7-8 years, which is around when WoW came out, you'd be accustomed to reading text for your story. And if you truly appreciate stories as much as you're implying, you'd mostly read books which have the best stories overall, and don't have voice overs. Sometimes good books will be turned into movies, which can be enjoyable, but they almost always are not as good as the books are, because things have to be cut out.

This thread is going to get closed though because you're not supposed to talk about other games.

Well, I took a break from SWTOR for about 2 months where I decided to reactivate my WoW account, because I wanted to do PvP and wanted to try the latest patch (with lfr, new arena seasons, transmog, etc.)

I wasn't bored at all. The two games have really different playstyle. I guess I'm much more used to WoW, but it seems like control is much easier and skill matters more (I'm not saying I'm a gawd, i'm just above average and usually dominating in random bgs), probably because players don't blow up as easily. You actually have time to use your cooldowns before you die.

Also, tab targetting.

Anyways, I'm still playing swtor and I canceled my WoW sub, so there must be a reason. I'm waiting for MoP and I find swtor new and refreshing. The pvp is interesting (i absolutely love the <50 bracket :D), leveling is really long but class quests are nice (planet quests become boring aftr 3rd-4th playthrough and i just wish i could skip the cutscenes and wouldnt have to spacebar) and I love the SW universe.

Edited by lpsmash

I've been getting sleepy playing SWTOR lately. The forums seem to be more entertaining as of late. ;)

If you want an insane amount of abilities with a ton of action bars, I'd recommend Rift.

Rift is alright, it's just drab in comparison. It's "shiney" wore off fast. I really wanted SWTOR to succeed, but it's just.. boring...and more of the same old stuff.

TERA offers a lot different things guys. First and foremost is the Unreal Engine. It's gorgeous, I have stop from time to time to zoom in and check it out, not to mention the character models are perfect..and great eye candy depending upon your preferences.

Well, I took a break from SWTOR for about 2 months where I decided to reactivate my WoW account, because I wanted to do PvP and wanted to try the latest patch (with lfr, new arena seasons, transmog, etc.)

I wasn't bored at all. The two games have really different playstyle. I guess I'm much more used to WoW, but it seems like control is much easier and skill matters more (I'm not saying I'm a gawd, i'm just above average and usually dominating in random bgs), probably because players don't blow up as easily. You actually have time to use your cooldowns before you die.

Also, tab targetting.

Anyways, I'm still playing swtor and I canceled my WoW sub, so there must be a reason. I'm waiting for MoP and I find swtor new and refreshing. The pvp is interesting (i absolutely love the <50 bracket :D), leveling is really long but class quests are nice (planet quests become boring aftr 3rd-4th playthrough and i just wish i could skip the cutscenes and wouldnt have to spacebar) and I love the SW universe.

Imagine aiming your mouse at your target, or 50 targets for that matter not having to lock on just ONE. Ugh, "click to target, tab to target" what ever, it's old news.

Really? Seems to me like it's just starting to get really good.

That being said... why are you still playing?

I'm not. I've cancelled and still have til the 21st and forum access. I won't be around much longer. Just hoping bring a few more with me before I go. NONE of them will regret it.

I did. For two days, actually.

Combat-wise, TERA is inferior to Spellborn, because it includes lengthy non-interruptable combat animations for almost everything.

And, for everything else from questing to scenery to UI to story to music and soundbites, TERA is atrocious. A plague on the MMO world, frankly. About a textbook example of everything that should be avoided at any cost.

A friend of mine summed it up quite nicely : after two days, the one salient point of TERA is that it is a korean MMO. This is *not* the first thing a game should be remembered for.

Lastly, PvP. I love it. That is all.

I was one who was turned off by wow almost immediately in 2004' 05 whenever, i couldnt stand the graphics, guildwars one had far superior graphics, i left gw for a month for wow and god when i got back GW its like i left disney pastel polygon land return to a refreshing crystal clear world.

And i didnt have to go to a band- aid guy to learn to make band-aids out of 75 white pooky bear tails.

Thing about swtor is its fun, wow was a chore, and killing pooky bears with green spinachy carpet looking forrest ground and big polygone trees with a crash bandicoot charactor was boreing.

Edited by CygnusMX

I did. For two days, actually.

Combat-wise, TERA is inferior to Spellborn, because it includes lengthy non-interruptable combat animations for almost everything.

And, for everything else from questing to scenery to UI to story to music and soundbites, TERA is atrocious. A plague on the MMO world, frankly. About a textbook example of everything that should be avoided at any cost.

A friend of mine summed it up quite nicely : after two days, the one salient point of TERA is that it is a korean MMO. This is *not* the first thing a game should be remembered for.

I don't even think you played it lol.

Nice try, but questing is exactly like SWTOR minus custcenes. A plague on the MMO world? LOL

The UI comes out of the box customizable so i dont know what you are complaining about here, and the music is fine for any fantasy MMO. Hey at least music plays while your questing unlike this trash game

And if you do play TERA play till level 20 (4-5hrs) then go solo some BAMS... you will never return to another tab target snooze fest

Edited by sw_dragon

Wow is dated, it was good while it lasted. SWTOR failed on launch day due to greed, it's on it's last breath.

Imagine a game where you have to AWAKE and pay attention or you'll die. No. SWTOR is a snoozefest.

It sounds like you should try Age of Conan - the game came our two or three years ago and the melee combat system is fantastically engaging. Plus, the visual design and graphics are lightyears ahead of any other MMO I've ever seen, including, sadly, SWTOR.

I did watch some videos of Tera, the game seems really good, the animations are great. But I think I simply can't go back to yet another generic happy elf-and-dwarf MMO like Tera, GW2, Rift or the million others. Take away the UI's and you can't tell those games apart.

To sum it up - I'll keep subscribing to SWTOR and playing AoC as F2P.

Edited by Gradivus

I tried to play Tera. Something about it gave me a headache. I couldn't put my finger on it. My eyes just started to hurt and a migraine came shortly after. I stopped playing and tried again after it went away. Same thing happened. I won't be playing this game based on that alone. Nevermind that I just did not like how the game played.

But i prefer my women to look like women and not 14 year old girls in skimpy outfits :)

Tera is a f2p lookalike from the east. Nothing more. Some kids will play to see ******* and it will disappear like many MANY others of this boring style.

SWTOR failed on launch day due to greed, it's on it's last breath.

I wasn't aware 1.7 million users means a game is on its last breath.

I guess those nimrods at NCsoft with 100,000 CoH users have yet to get the memo that their frequently updated game of 8 years needs another 2 million users to still be standing strong.

What is it with this idea that any sink in subscriptions marks a colossal failure?

I mean people say WoW, 10 million subs is a failure.

I mean...

Perspective, people.

SWTOR is FINE. The devs have said the subscription numbers are barely declining.

All this talk about Tera being the next big thing is just hype. Yes I tried Tera during the open beta and yes the combat mechanics are very good and the world is good looking but to be honest the questing became repetitive pretty quickly. To be honest it felt grindy and the mobs being constantly re-used without re-skinning them in a lot of areas didn't help alleviate that feeling.

This is just my view and I'm sure a lot of people will like Tera and a lot of people wont so try it yourself and see ;)

I wasn't aware 1.7 million users means a game is on its last breath.

I guess those nimrods at NCsoft with 100,000 CoH users have yet to get the memo that their frequently updated game of 8 years needs another 2 million users to still be standing strong.

What is it with this idea that any sink in subscriptions marks a colossal failure?

I mean people say WoW, 10 million subs is a failure.

I mean...

Perspective, people.

SWTOR is FINE. The devs have said the subscription numbers are barely declining.

don't waste your breath on these oxygen thieves......

Incidentally, I urge otherwise. Tera failed to impress me in any way, particularly in the realm of combat.