The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Advanced Prototype PvP

Assaultrooper

Well I searched as best I could for a AP in action and couldn't find anything, but backpeddlers and people getting killed which continuously make me switch from AP to Pyro...

Solution!!! Make a [semi] Real PvP video showcasing what AP can do :D

Oh yea this is using a RS build more specifically this one :)

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhMZMsMMRrfkds.1

Here hoping someone actually watches it ^^

Edited by Assaultrooper

Looks like a super fun spec. But what is the downside to it?

Yes it is!

The downside is relying on a aimed channelled ability in pretty much melee range for burst :( and not having as much survival as other** melee.

Its a really tricky spec, but I like it :)

I like the idea of it. Was never a fan of pyro PT just doesnt look fun to me would you say it would be easy to lvl as AP?

Hmmmm I wouldn't really recommend AP for leveling , I mean you will have an easier time leveling as a Pyro than a AP. If you really wanna level a bit as AP tho I'd recommend starting at lvl 30+ as AP since u get the flamethrower talents at that time :)

I just respecced. It was a toss up between tanky powertech and Advanced prototype. I love the idea of this spec but jet charge .... JET CHARGE woot! Amazing fun, and so it wins. Other specs can go hang, I just want to fly around all day. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Thats the spirit! and I managed to make the video available in Mobile phones, etc!!!

Why did you spec into retraced armor over power armor or Iron Fist? Where did you gets the voted worst spec info?

I liked the video. You kite alot more than I do, and I use PFT alot more.

I will add your video to my guide along with Taugrims. I have no idea how to make a video nor do I have gear as good as you as of yet. I have been out of war zones recently due to guild wanting me to raid.

Edited by TheOpf

Why did you spec into retraced armor over power armor or Iron Fist? Where did you gets the voted worst spec info?

I liked the video. You kite alot more than I do, and I use PFT alot more.

I will add your video to my guide along with Taugrims. I have no idea how to make a video nor do I have gear as good as you as of yet. I have been out of war zones recently due to guild wanting me to raid.

Thanks ^^

I chose retracted armor simply because I realized my greatest threats were actually either snipers or marauders, so I saw it as a trade-off between 2% global dmg reduction, or about 6% damage reduction on vs mainly marauders/snipers/juggs. :D

Thought I'd add the link to some of the AP PvP vid's I've been watching. The commentator does a good job of explaining his specc and how he handles each encounter during a warzone.

That's episode 3, his channel also has 1 & 2 to watch.

Thought I'd add the link to some of the AP PvP vid's I've been watching. The commentator does a good job of explaining his specc and how he handles each encounter during a warzone.

That's episode 3, his channel also has 1 & 2 to watch.

haha! Dude!! The guy looks like he never goes outside or sleeps. Haha!

haha! Dude!! The guy looks like he never goes outside or sleeps. Haha!

So true ^^ but I believe thats a radically different spec than what I am using (he's running a NON-RS build I believe) and just how few openings he actually has to use flamethrower is the reason I favor the RS build :)

So true ^^ but I believe thats a radically different spec than what I am using (he's running a NON-RS build I believe) and just how few openings he actually has to use flamethrower is the reason I favor the RS build :)

I run the Norse build too haha! And he used ft on just about every fight. I use it a ton during WZ s but we also get mitigation man. I do like the deep AP build with the 2k rail shot, but I just like the mitigation and fluidity of the Norse more.

So does AP scale with gear better than Pyro? The reason I ask is I spent levels 47-49 trying AP out and had absolutely mediocre damage, respecced back into pyro, and was not only #1 damage again (in literally every WZ), but leading #2 by about 30-40% most of the time.

So, my question is, what's the cause? I'm assuming I'm not a horrible player, and that maybe with level 50 gear AP comes into it's own? (And yes, I'm aware that pre-50 I was missing a few talent points, but I can't see that accounting for the huge discrepancy in damage.)

So does AP scale with gear better than Pyro? The reason I ask is I spent levels 47-49 trying AP out and had absolutely mediocre damage, respecced back into pyro, and was not only #1 damage again (in literally every WZ), but leading #2 by about 30-40% most of the time.

So, my question is, what's the cause? I'm assuming I'm not a horrible player, and that maybe with level 50 gear AP comes into it's own? (And yes, I'm aware that pre-50 I was missing a few talent points, but I can't see that accounting for the huge discrepancy in damage.)

To be honest I am not 100% sure why that is.... but I know that 10-49 warzones are really un-friendly to melee specs, somehow commandos, etc 3 shoot you down there....

So yea it does get better :)

Pyro has always been my perferred choice for PvP. Then having AP for PvE. Though after trying AP in PvP, I noticed there is more survivability at hand. Especially after update 1.2 with the changes made to adavance prototype flamethrower. With hydraulic override, it helps greatly with countering CCs and stuns. Also makes you competitve with "Never die shadows." The DPS is not as high as Pyro, but there are more options and buffs for countering attacks. Also the Heat control is amazing. Makes it a lot easier to maintain DPS in long fights. As for the comment above about Jet Charge in the tanking spec. Yes it is the best thing ever in huttball. :D