Should Merc really have two weapons

Uzzzi

The Merc spec has two guns but yet the Powertech has spec has 1. All things being equal the powertech will out damage take more damge than a Merc.

We could go to extremes and make some comparisons using this logic.

1. 1 rock would do more damage than 2.

2. 1 grenade would do more damage than 2.

3. 1 bomb would do more damage than 2.

4. 1 missile would do more damage than 2.

I am asking that if this is the case for SWTOR can we look at taking away the extra weapon that is apparently hurting our DPS and give us a shield for the offhand? Increase the damage of our offhand weapon?

If this post violates the forum rules as well could a mod inform me on how something along these lines might be phrased?

This one shouldnt be closeed since you actually have an argument here :p

Seems you're referring to PT's burst dmg compared to mercs, cuz other than that pve merc's clearly deal more.

For mercs I personally think offhand weapons barely make a difference for merc's but at the same time the class like marauder/sentinel has offhand weapon dmg talents to help make up for their weak offhands. At the same time arsenal dmg has gone down a little so maybe it begs the question should the arsenal tree get offhand weapon dmg talents to make it more useful? Maybe in pyro to encourage more mobile strength.

I wouldn't scrap it, I love the thought of running around with twin pistols like some of the iconic bounty hunters. If anything give the pyrotechs blaster rifles but thats a different discussion and would make me want to reroll PT even more lol. Maybe a legacy thing where you could wield a mirror classes weapon for an idea? (ex. Hunter / Trooper)

Edited by Rethban

I would definitely get rid of the second (offhand) weapon and replace it with a generator. The biggest impact from the offhand weapon is to generate misses against a target. Sure it hits sometimes too, but the damage is minimal and would be directly replaced with a generator. In contrast the misses KILL you. Nearly 100% of the time you attack a melee with Rapid Shots, you will trigger Retaliation/Riposte which will lead to >1000 HP in damage to you and no use of GCD for the melee. This far outweighs by a factor of 5-10x any damage that the offhand weapon is doing. I am not joking when I say that the offhand weapon hurts rather than helps the Merc. It is LITERALLY the case.