Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

New CPU to buy

Emisssary

I'd like to buy a new CPU for my computer anyone have any good suggestions? Basically I am looking for the best bang for my buck.

Here are a few of my specs...

Operating System

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU

Intel Pentium E5400 @ 2.70GHz 111 °F

Wolfdale 45nm Technology

RAM

6.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 399MHz (6-6-6-15)

Motherboard

Dell Inc. 0K83V0 (CPU 1) 83 °F

Graphics

DELL ST2210 (1920x1080@60Hz)

ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc) 160 °F

Hard Drives

625GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HD642JJ (SATA) 88 °F

Optical Drives

DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device

TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653G

Audio

Realtek High Definition AudioOperating System

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU

Intel Pentium E5400 @ 2.70GHz 111 °F

Wolfdale 45nm Technology

RAM

6.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 399MHz (6-6-6-15)

Motherboard

Dell Inc. 0K83V0 (CPU 1) 83 °F

Graphics

DELL ST2210 (1920x1080@60Hz)

ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc) 160 °F

Hard Drives

625GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HD642JJ (SATA) 88 °F

Optical Drives

DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device

TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653G

Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

i5 2500k is prob. still the best gaming CPU around. I personally went for the i7 2700k and 8gb DDR3 which is a little more powerful especially for video conversion etc.

You honestly would be fine with the i5 2500k but if you want more the 2700k is there. (For a bit extra cost). I have practically no loading times.

'Gaming Bundles' are what you want, so that you dont have to worry about compatability and such, here's a LINK in UK again but of course I dont know where you from so...

* If your in US I would then highly recommend taking your Dell along to your local friendly shooting range and put it out of it's silicon misery.

Edited by KEKHAN

Something like an i5 2600K (or i7 2600K if you want to do video rendering etc.) would be your best bet, along with a decentish Z77-based motherboard. Look for a Sandy Bridge CPU over an Ivy Bridge one as the Ivy Bridge chips aren't as good overclockers and run incredibly high temperatures unfortunately. Keep in mind that your options are limited on that current motherboard, as newer chips are Socket 1155 I think and Intel's chips next year (codenamed Haswell) will use a different socket too.

Hope this helps.

Edited by llesna

*facepalm"

The way he worded it he's asking what processor he can put in his machine not the best available.

Intel Pentium E5400 @ 2.70GHz is an LGA775 socket processor. He cannot put an i5 2500K or i7 2600K in that machine. I'm not even sure you can get much in the way of 775 processors anymore and the upgrade definitely wouldn't be worth it.

Since you bought a proprietary Dell box, I would recommend that you build a new machine. You might be able to re-use the memory and the drives. i5 2500K would be a good CPU to base it on.

If you do go with a new motherboard etc then get an Ivybridge CPU instead of the 2*00k's, Ivybridge is about 10% faster than Sandybridge at stock. Sandy only catches up at high overclocks. Ivy goes on sale tonight i believe and prices are meant to be the same as and cheaper than Sandybridge. Edited by Kabaal

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.