Companion Affection Option

Zatera

There desperatly needs to be an option in the menu system that allows you to see your companions affection gain next to the option just like for Light and Dark Side points. This would be an amazing feature and I wouldn't want to bang my head against my desk everytime I go through a conversation having to select EVERY POSSIBLE OPTION just to find the right one for the companion! Its truely insane! And really ruins the whole Star Wars conversation storyline.

Simply add the option in the menu system for the love of god to save us from constantly having to click each option for hours on end to find the one that our very picky companions need. I'm going out of my mind trying to maximize Companion Affection while also trying to get into the storyline.

If anyone else feels this would be extremely useful and would increase their overall love of the game 10 fold,

PLEASE POST HERE!

The first time through on my Shadow, I just played the role, regardless of what the Companions wanted me to say. This meant that I got -1's every so often from Qyzen or Tharan. Then on my alts, I tried to do what you seem to be doing, to set my choices based on the companion I had with me, and with similar results and frustration.

Quite frankly, DON'T try to please your companions all the time, and just pick what option suits the character in your view. You may be missing out on some Affection, but given that you can get any companion to about 6k by spending about 35k on green rank 1 companion gifts from the vendor on the Fleet, it really isn't a big deal. (And you can get ot 8k by spending another 65kish on the rank 2 gifts from the same vendor if you like).

Once you get to doing the Dailies at 50, that's a good opportunity to map out what gets you the most affection for a given companion -- this is the approach I took to max out Iresso, and I'm close to maxing Tharan too with these, and Zenith is coming along nicely too.

(For your first companion, since you only get +15 per hit, or +40 if it's something they really like, it's probably far more efficient to do the first Flashpoint -- be it Esseless or Black Talon -- to max them out from the 6k or whatever mark).

So, relax, and enjoy the story first, and sort out the affection mechanics later.

As long as it'd be an option like DS/LS that we could turn off, sure I guess. Personally I use the conversations to shape and explore my own character's personality, I never just fish for affection. I'd rather not know how my companions will react beforehand, as it'd probably end up influencing my decisions, at least slightly.

Besides, guessing what a companion will like or not can be a fun game in itself!

I always try to find the affection option for my current companion in conversations. If I get a -1 then so be it. After a while of using one companion you get used to which options they are going to like. Malavai Quinn always likes it when I'm respectful to imperial officials, and likes it when I make choices that further the empire. I like how they familiarize you with your companions interests and loyalties, it helps flesh out these characters.

Ungh. There's too much metagaming here as it is. While some additional warning might be nice because dialogue wheels often fail to convey the proper tone*, ultimately, that's what the escape key is for if you need it. If you must shamelessly shmooze up to your companion, do it by actually thinking about what options your companion would like and what options they wouldn't.

*Example: A republic dignitary has had his security code cylinder stolen. I choose "Alert Security," thinking, "Quick! We need to have everyone prepared in case they sell that code to the empire!" My character says, "Why is this my problem? Alert Space port security." :mad:

Edited by KorinHyvek

Odd. I wouldn't want to use the option, but I can see where a min/maxer would like it.

If my companion dislikes what I just did, I either go buy a 200-credit gift to mollify him or just ignore him because he's wrong. This policy hasn't significantly slowed down my overall affection progression.

You're acting like it's difficult to get companion affection. Just play your character and use your crew skills. I get a boatload of extra companion gifts from leveling up my mission skills that I just give to my companions. Even the ones I don't use like me at least a little bit.