Augments for PvP Gunslingers

TyraelJedi

Howdy fellow Gunslingers,

A guildy has crafted all the Warhero gear for me w/ augment slots. Currently I am putting the Skill augments in my aug slots: +18 Cunning +12 Endurance.

I hear a lot of rumors that power augments are the way to go, +18 Power, +12 End. The main reason I am going with skill augments is to compensate for the minor main stat reductions on War hero gear.

What are your thoughts/suggestions?

Cunning damage bonus is 20% but you get a little bit of crit. Power damage bonus is 23% without any crit. Crit and surge both run into DR. Assuming you have unmodified war hero tech gear with some medic gear mixed in on the implants and such to improve your crit/surge it's going to boil down to how high your crit is. If your crit is under 39.5% while buffed get cunning. If it is below 35% get +crit. If your surge is below 75% get +surge. If you are max'd get +power.

Cunning damage bonus is 20% but you get a little bit of crit. Power damage bonus is 23% without any crit. Crit and surge both run into DR. Assuming you have unmodified war hero tech gear with some medic gear mixed in on the implants and such to improve your crit/surge it's going to boil down to how high your crit is. If your crit is under 39.5% while buffed get cunning. If it is below 35% get +crit. If your surge is below 75% get +surge. If you are max'd get +power.

Nice very, thanks for explaining :)

Great info. TYVM for posting :D

Edited by TyraelJedi

I've heard so many variations on this, would you care to cite your sources?

Note that the 9% Streetwise boost to Cunning makes its damage-only portion almost level with Power. Also, you definitely want Cunning for PvP because overall stats will be well lower and you'll be further below the point where DR on Cunning crit chance (which falls off from cumulative cunning, not overal crit % chance) drops below what Power damage gives you.

Surge... depends on how fast you're switching to WH pieces.

Edited by flem

Note that the 9% Streetwise boost to Cunning makes its damage-only portion almost level with Power. Also, you definitely want Cunning for PvP because overall stats will be well lower and you'll be further below the point where DR on Cunning crit chance (which falls off from cumulative cunning, not overal crit % chance) drops below what Power damage gives you.

Plus the Sage buff gives another 5%.

If you are specced into SS you should not need to waste stats on surge since you can spec into +30% surge on CS, TS, SS, and QD. With full WH you will have a **** ton of crit already - stack power.

I've heard so many variations on this, would you care to cite your sources?

Sithwarrior Formula's thread. I went through the trouble many months back of double checking their math and it added up precisely so I have no reason to question the legitimacy of those formulas posted.

Edited by dcgregorya

If you are specced into SS you should not need to waste stats on surge since you can spec into +30% surge on CS, TS, SS, and QD. With full WH you will have a **** ton of crit already - stack power.

They stack on top of each other so you'd be foolish not to get surge. If you have 75% stat surge and you take the talent for CS/TS/SS your CS will do 105% surge not cap out at 80%.

Sithwarrior Formula's thread. I went through the trouble many months back of double checking their math and it added up precisely so I have no reason to question the legitimacy of those formulas posted.

But aren't you operating under the assumption that they didn't change soft caps in 1.2?

• 2 weeks later...
They stack on top of each other so you'd be foolish not to get surge. If you have 75% stat surge and you take the talent for CS/TS/SS your CS will do 105% surge not cap out at 80%.

Tradeoff for getting more surge is less crit or power. If i'm already getting 95% surge on 3 abilities with 44% crit (talented), I'm stacking power.

Flem: Hard to understand exactly what you mean, but just for clarification....

Crit % from Cunning is linear. There are no DR with Cunning & Crit %. There is DR with Crti Stat and Crit %, it starts around 400 crit and attains a negative acceleration at around 700 crit. If you are exceeding 600 crit stat, you best choose something else like surge power or cunning.

See reference

Flem: Hard to understand exactly what you mean, but just for clarification....

Crit % from Cunning is linear. There are no DR with Cunning & Crit %. There is DR with Crti Stat and Crit %, it starts around 400 crit and attains a negative acceleration at around 700 crit. If you are exceeding 600 crit stat, you best choose something else like surge power or cunning.

See reference

Crit from cunning is not linear...just very close to it. It still caps off at 30%.

I did some tests to confirm what has already been discovered by that mmo mechanics site.

If you are in PVP gear (which means your max cunning will be well below that of your PVE gear) then power augments is your way to go. You will get a +0.3 bonus damage with each power augment over a cunning augment. The trade off is -0.10 crit chance. So choose I suppose.

But the interesting thing, is if you have over 2000 cunning, you will see absolutely no difference in power trading from cunning to power, but only a loss of crit. Your +9% cunning skill is what makes this happen, coupled with the sage buff even more so.

So in short, power for PVP, cunning for PVE. For the people who say you should have surge augments or crit augments, they don't understand how easy it is to get to your 75% surge with enhancements.