Chapter 1 + ending

chimunga

I'm reviewing the end of a chapter, so obviously, there are gonna be spoilers.

I was... underwhelmed by the chapter one story end. I finished it at lvl 29, and was 30 by the time I got to Vivicar. Two things about the end really stood out to me.

1.) My character just up and said she knew Vivicar was Parkanas. I didn't have any choice, That's just how it happened. And it's a pretty obvious plot twist, and I had figured it out early on, but I wanted to be able to atleast say did. I don't like it when my character goes into dialogues without me spurning them on.

2.) Vivcar was so easy. On my Jedi knight, I had to level to 33 to finish her Ch. 1 boss. And even then it was close. But all I had to do was interrupt him and keep Tharan up. I didn't get past half health, and no medpacs were used. Too easy. I read on the forums that he was easy, but I have noob-ish tendencies, so I figured he'd be harder for me. Nope. No exaggeration. Yuon was a tougher battler than him, but that's probably because it was unexpected.

Another thing that seemed really noted to me is that everyone kept telling me I looked weaker, but I never actually got any weaker. The whole time they were saying it, it bothered me. I don't really know how that would work. But don't say something like that if it's not actually happening.

The story seemed a little watered down to me. Like there was so much more that you could learn about the master's experience on the planet they lost Parkanas on (I can't remember the name). There was even a hint the Master Yuon had a romance with someone.

I did like the storyline on Coruscant with the Noeticons. <-- Spelt so wrong, but you get my meaning. I thought that was a cool piece of Jedi lore.

I don't know if it gets better later on, but people say the story line is sub-par. I'll find out for myself. So all in all, I was really.... Just underwhelmed.

That being said, I still love playing my Infil Shadow. :D

What did you think of Chapter one? Please no chapter two or three spoilers.

It was probably the reverse for me.

I found Vivicar really difficult, but a satisfying fight. Admittedly deaths occurred when all 5 means of interrupting failed...

The end is perhaps a little underwhelming, especially the revealing of the antagonist, but I rather liked the events with Yuon Parr to locate him. I loved some of the conclusions of the planets, specifically Alderaan and that spacship after Nar Shaddaa, probably because they seemed to have the more emotional rescues. I'm a sucker for emotional parts.

But then, I found the pursuit of the Noetikons to be quite dull, it felt too fetch-questy to me. Then again, most of the planets were a case of fulfil tasks until you can actually get to the Jedi Master. Probably why I liked the spaceship so much, the events were paced more enjoyably and not interrupted by tasks like supporting House thingamobob.

While not a spoiler for the later chapters, its what's missing from them I'm commenting on:

I was disappointed to find that the rescued (or not) Jedi Masters have all but disappeared from the plot. I'd expect Yuon Parr to atleast still have some relevance and presence in Chapter 2 and 3.

I was really hoping they were going to send me on a quest where they said that a master might be affected, but then it turned out it wasn't. I thought that's what might happen on Alderaan. Like "Oh hey Master! You're just fine? Well that's cool! Wanna come help me save the order?"

One thing I like about the Vivicar fight is that it's one of those fights where it's teaching you to use your character. Quite simply, if you don't interrupt, you'll die. And when you take out the healing, tanking and stealthing, that what a Consular is. Interrupts, stuns, and CC. I was level 30 when I killed him, and I expected to die the first time, But I have what seems like an unnecessary amounts of stuns and interrupts, so I just kept him quiet.

What did you think of Chapter one? Please no chapter two or three spoilers.

+1.

I was personally underwhelmed by the Jedi Consular Storyline up through the end of Chapter I.

I didn't mind the expected plot twist, this is Star Wars after-all (the oldest stories ever told in a futuristic environment), but it was just incredibly predictable to fly to a planet, warn people their Jedi Master was going nuts, having people not believe me, going on a quest and having it confirmed that they were nuts, and then having a confrontation. It was the same story repeated on three different planets!

I also agree that the lack of an actual impact after the ("You look weaker" comments) was unfortunate. I understand they don't want to mess around with stats as that would impact your ability to do flashpoints and pvp, but even if they just added some visual effects to your character (a la the rakghoul plague).

The good news:Chapter II is better so far (halfway through).

Although the Sith Inquisitor storyline, through and through, is superior.

- Arcada

I didn't mind the expected plot twist, this is Star Wars after-all (the oldest stories ever told in a futuristic environment), but it was just incredibly predictable to fly to a planet, warn people their Jedi Master was going nuts, having people not believe me, going on a quest and having it confirmed that they were nuts, and then having a confrontation. It was the same story repeated on three different planets!

The good news:Chapter II is better so far (halfway through).

Although the Sith Inquisitor storyline, through and through, is superior.

- Arcada

Exactly. That's what I'm saying it got very formulaic.

Playing Sith character is hard for me. It's one thing to be a snarky, sometimes mark dark decision, jedi. It's a whole 'nother thing to actually be a bad guy. It might be fun. But they kept wanting me to kill people for no good reason, and I just didn't understand it. How does the sith Empire function, and kill other people, when they spend 3/4 of their time killing eachother?

Playing Sith character is hard for me. It's one thing to be a snarky, sometimes mark dark decision, jedi. It's a whole 'nother thing to actually be a bad guy. It might be fun. But they kept wanting me to kill people for no good reason, and I just didn't understand it.

The reason I enjoy the Sith (and Inquisitor) story line so much is they do a good job of blurring the line between light-side and dark-side at key points. For example:

Question: You come across a platoon of soldiers who have been brutally tortured and are begging you to kill them. Do you save them (prolong their suffering)? OR Do you put them out of their misery (essentially murder them)?

That is actually a moral quandary and I have to actually sit back and think about how to respond. Especially when picking "save them" results in dark points!!!

The Republic choices are not really significant moral quandaries. Do you heal the Jedi Master you've been sent to save OR for NO REASON AT ALL do you kill him? Extremely superficial and as such -- quite frankly -- not really interesting or engaging and half the reason I get bored really quick with loading up my consular.

I don't have a single dark side choice on my Jedi character because when the choice is to be a jerk or a nice guy I choose nice guy. I'm fairly even lightside -- darkside on my Inquisitor because the choices aren't that obvious.

How does the sith Empire function, and kill other people, when they spend 3/4 of their time killing eachother?

Chapter II Sith Inquisitor is almost directly about this. The Sith Empire has a large number of powerful leaders obsessed with proper protocol (i.e. Sith are NOT supposed to be killing each other all the time).

Additionally, light and dark seem to mean different things on the Sith side compared to republic. Does your character put passion aside to do what is in the long-term interest of the empire (i.e. not killing everyone all the time) or do you follow your passions and do what is in your own interest. Former is generally "light-side", latter is generally "dark-side", even when following your passions sometimes doesn't seem that bad and following the empire seems kind of evil.

One of your NPCs on the Sith Inquisitor side directly struggles with this.

- Arcada

Althougth I'm only into my 20s on my Imperial characters from the spoilers and such I've read it seems readily apparent that Bioware is far more comfortable writing for the Sith then for the Jedi. I'm not talking about "fun" or "cool" , I'm just talking about the depth of the plot and quality of the writing. I also don't think it's an issue of bias, so much as Bioware's writers just seem more comfortable exploring Sith theme.

The Republic choices are not really significant moral quandaries. Do you heal the Jedi Master you've been sent to save OR for NO REASON AT ALL do you kill him? Extremely superficial and as such -- quite frankly -- not really interesting or engaging and half the reason I get bored really quick with loading up my consular.

I don't have a single dark side choice on my Jedi character because when the choice is to be a jerk or a nice guy I choose nice guy. I'm fairly even lightside -- darkside on my Inquisitor because the choices aren't that obvious

So terribly true. The only real moral LS/DS choice that I can remember in the Jedi storyline is ratting on those two kids who are in love in the starter area. I've made a few DS decisions, because they made sense to me. ON alderaan, executing the guy that kidnapped me. ON Nar Shadaa, not telling this guy that a Hutt he was working with actually used to be the gang leader that they're detroying. But really, that's all I can remember.

While I like being a Jedi, the Rupublic is iffy. The Jedi order is silly.

There is no emotion, there is peace.

There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.

There is no passion, there is serenity.

There is no chaos, there is harmony.

There is no death, there is the Force.

It reminds me of the storyline from that Movie Equilibrium. And he saved the puppy in the end. The general consensus is that we need emotions, and bonds to other people make us stronger.

I think and really interesting storyline would be trying to reform the Jedi order, making them more accepting, more understanding of the ideals of others. Separately, Jedi are really interesting, with their turmoil and passions, and thoughts, but together, the Jedi order stands as one really boring pillar of "truth."

I can be a snarky consular all I want, but it doesn't really change anything. I always pick LS decisions, because they are the obvious choice. And a large moral choice at the end of a story line shouldn't be an obvious one.

I'm just talking about the depth of the plot and quality of the writing. I also don't think it's an issue of bias, so much as Bioware's writers just seem more comfortable exploring Sith theme.

I would also posit that there is a tremendous amount of baggage with writing for the republic as the majority of the movies are from the point of view of the light side / republic / jedi. And they very much portray things in black and white (good guys are prestine people who are handed a pretext for fighting the sith on a silver platter, the bay guys are deformed psychopaths ). So in a way, they are giving you very similiar choices to what Obi-wan and Luke Skywalker faced.

So terribly true. The only real moral LS/DS choice that I can remember in the Jedi storyline is ratting on those two kids who are in love in the starter area. I've made a few DS decisions, because they made sense to me. ON alderaan, executing the guy that kidnapped me. ON Nar Shadaa, not telling this guy that a Hutt he was working with actually used to be the gang leader that they're detroying.

Well that is the opportunity that has so far been missed on the republic side (I haven't played the other republic classes so I don't want to over-generalize!). They should capitalize on the "bad" but good intentioned things the jedi did in the movies. e.g. Lie to Luke about the death of his father / attempt to break the law to remove a corrupt chancellor... they've only done this (so far) in little ways like what you outlined above.

While I like being a Jedi, the Rupublic is iffy. The Jedi order is silly.

The Jedi Order is silly. As Palpatine said the Jedi is "narrow, dogmatic" and that is their undoing. Unfortunately, every Jedi that seems to challenge that silliness ends up making a big bad goof (Mace Windu giving Palpatine the pretext for declaring Jedi enemies of the republic) or completely falling to the dark side (Dooku, Vader, etc.).

I see the Bioware team as struggling to remain faithful to the above while telling new and interesting stories. However, they aren't such constrained on the Sith side hence the better stories. You want to be a goodguy sith trying to reform the empire? NP!!! You want to be a Palpatine wannabe? NP!!! You want to do whatever you want with no consistency? NP!!!

- Arcada

I just made an honest go at an Imperial player. I looked up which story line people thought was best, and the general consensus is the Imp agent. I leveled her to ten, and I already find it much more interesting. It's wonderful. I keep finding myself staring at the screen trying to figure out what to do. Minor prologue spoilers:

Give these people power cells, so that they can sell them to eat, or leave them, so this guy doesn't get his family killed? The DS option was to give the family the cells, because they're paying you. Kill this guy, because he's trying to save his kid from the hardships of becoming a sith, or send him to the academy? Purify the water, giving people drinking water, and therefore mutating these beasts to attack people, or leave it, so the people live. Kill this guy, who's been totally nice to you, or spare him, and let him run. Hell, I even had the option to have sex with a guy so he didn't rat out my identity.

I made more difficult decisions in the first 10 levels than I have on both of my jedis, and they're both past Ch. 1. Most of the time I stuck with doing what my employers paid me to do, unless it directly harmed the Empire.

This is way more fun. I really wish they would the republic this dynamic. It has all the potential l for intrigue, there are just too many expectations put upon it. They so badly want them to be the good guys, the obvious good guys, but there's always two sides of a story, and rarely is only one party at fault. I'm not big on Star Wars lore, A couple of fluff books and the movies and games, so I'd really like to know what the republic has done that would actually be considered bad.

Well that is the opportunity that has so far been missed on the republic side (I haven't played the other republic classes so I don't want to over-generalize!). They should capitalize on the "bad" but good intentioned things the jedi did in the movies. e.g. Lie to Luke about the death of his father / attempt to break the law to remove a corrupt chancellor... they've only done this (so far) in little ways like what you outlined above.

Coruscant touched on it, with their corrupt politicians, but they could have done more. Made it deeper, gone into the characters better. There needs to be more bad for the greater good, and not just plain bad.

There's just no happy medium with the Republic. You're good or bad. No grey area, and that's not how real life works. It's also doesn't work with lightsabers, but you know.

Althougth I'm only into my 20s on my Imperial characters from the spoilers and such I've read it seems readily apparent that Bioware is far more comfortable writing for the Sith then for the Jedi. I'm not talking about "fun" or "cool" , I'm just talking about the depth of the plot and quality of the writing. I also don't think it's an issue of bias, so much as Bioware's writers just seem more comfortable exploring Sith theme.

I'm not sure I can agree with that. For example, while the Sith Warrior story is quite good, the Sith Inquisitor story is arguably weaker than either of the Jedi stories.

For example, chapter 1 of the Inquisitor story has all the problems that the Consular story has, only worse. The McGuffin you're hunting down is much weaker -- generic Sith artifacts that your master wants you to collect for an unspecified purpose rather than ailing Jedi masters -- and the per-planet stories are weaker, too. For instance, the Consular arc on Alderaan is neatly tied in the with the main plot and the planetary theme, while the Inquisitor arc on Alderaan is clearly the B-story.

The one story that really stands out on the Imperial side is the agent story, and that's for different reasons (and notably,

the Sith are actually part of the cast of antagonists in that story

).

What is true is that it's generally easier to write stories for overall good or at least honorable character living under an evil regime. That only works if you play a lightside or grayish Imperial character, though (as darkside characters generally aren't encumbered much by ethical problems). Good characters in an evil world equals instant conflict.

And it can go the other way, too. One example is Imperial Taris vs. Republican Balmorra.

As an imperial player on Taris, you get railroaded into making some really sick and twisted things, whereas as a Republic player on Balmorra you have to make a number of genuinely hard moral choices.

Belsavis is another planet/level range where the Republic's story is stronger than that of the Empire.

The Empire just stages a prison break for the Dreadmasters, and you're run through a linear story with no real choices -- that you will free the Dreadmasters is pre-ordained; on the Republic side, you're dealing with shades of gray right from the start, beginning with the questionable ethics of the existence of the prison itself, continuing on with learning that people are imprisoned there that have committed no crime for the sole reason that they have been born there, and wrapping up with Project Noble Focus.