The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Techblades/techstaffs as secondary choice...

Redmarss

i'm sry if this may be already been discuss... but.. i'd like to know if the swtor community agree with me about the techblades/techstaffs potential as a vanguard / powertech POV...

i'm asking because it feels strange, maybe unusual to use your rifle in point blank mode... i understand that you can fire and hit at a distance but wouldn't be nice to use those melee aim based weapons as a tank or dps... c'mon.. 80% of our most useful abilities are a 4m range...

i know this would mean changing some mechanincs but i don't think that giving the vanguard/powertech skills a 2 weapons different effect could be impossible... for example... ion pulse could even be fired from the blade hip.. i mean.. it's a techblade... technology is allowed... or hammer shot instead could become a melee attack like jedi's basic one... by this i mean that ppl could use their own style of play withount sacrifying so much...

i ask sry for my bad english.. btw i'll be glad to see some opinions . bye

What is this I don't even...

No. We use too many ranged abilities that would require retooling of most of the class' base abilities. There's zero reason to give a trooper (a canonically blaster-using group) a melee weapon. To some extent it would take away the core of what it means to be a trooper.

Also, how many other classes do you know that can use all of their abilities with an alternate weapon? Knights can use blades rather than lightsabers but a lot of skills become unusable. Same goes for shadows with electro(?)staves.

Edited by Wallsie

Yeah... no. Definitely no. This would completely destroy the class. People play Vanguards because they want to play like a Vanguard. If you want to hit people with a shiny stick, go play a Jedi. We're an incredibly blaster-based class.

Also, this would destroy everyone but tank spec, and even tank spec would be gimped. Assault especially is a range-dependent spec. Assault is awesome because it's the one and only range/melee hybrid class in the game. Only Balance Shadow comes close, but they take like a 70% DPS hit to attack from 30m away. Assault takes a 25% DPS hit from 30m, and less than a 10% hit from 10m away.

This would take an iconic, powerful class and turn it into a Jedi, but without everything that makes a Jedi cool (i.e. the Force). We'd just be some schmuck swinging a stick around. It's plausible to win a fight by shooting a Sith in the head (or in the back with a shotgun, a la Scoundrel), but if you think you're going to win a swordfight with someone who has a lightsaber, you must be out of your mind on drugs.

No. Just no. Go play with a glowstick.

Edited by Philosomanic

• 2 months later...
There is a practical reason to not use sticks and thats aim. Aim gives ranged bonus and not melee. I love my rifle ;)

Qyzen Fess(Consular Companion) says hi.

Though, I agree with everyone else here. Troopers use guns, we aren't force users.