Is there some point to Elegant Modified Sabers?

fibericon

If you crit, you gain an augment slot, in addition to all the regular slots. That extra slot isn't available on any of the other lightsabers, and it's cheaper to re-craft for crits on something like those, or the custom-built ones, than it is to try for, say, Defender's Mettle or the Niman Master sabers.

Yes, you are missing something quite integral to the way that items work in the game!

Orange items do not have stats because they allow you to add in mods which provide their stats. This allows someone to keep the appearance of an item they like (typically armor) and to update its stats as they level up to keep the item current.

The lightsaber you have the schematic to is one of these items. It will be empty at first, but someone can put in the hilt (which provides its damage rating), the mod (which provides primary stats), the enhancement (which provides secondary stats), the crystal (which provides a color and secondary stats), and if you get a critical hit on the craft, they will also be able to put in an augment which will let them add a wide variety of stats to it.

Those lightsabers which are critical hits in crafting and have the augment slot will be valuable and should sell for some reasonable amount.

As far as the "nearly no stats" comment: it's a CUSTOM weapon, meaning you put in your own stats with various modifications. The point of this item is that it can be decked out with any mods useful to the character using it; it can just as easily be a tank's weapon or a healer's weapon with the proper mods. By removing mods from any end-game weapon, it will be EQUAL to that end-game weapon; the difference is that it can actually be BETTER with an additional AUGMENT modification that will only exist on a crafted item that was CRIT during creation.

While the three previous posters are 100% correct regarding the modifiable nature of the elegant sabers. However the Custom-built Lightsaber which is a level 20 recipe, looks nearly Identical and has the exact same functionality. Being cheaper to make using less costly materials and less of them. Your question has merit. There is very little point to the level 50 orange sabers.

the answer to your question is Aesthetics.

Edited by Emencie

I would argue that the level 50 "elegant" ones are actually easier to produce simply because in questing in daily areas, I find grade 6 materials - it takes 'farming' low level zones, or spam running low level missions to obtain the materials to make the lvl 20 version. Yes, they are functionally exactly the same, as is all orange gear of a given type, but I would say that many of us end up with an abundance of grade 6 materials, but never see grade 3 materials unless we go after them specifically.

I would argue that the level 50 "elegant" ones are actually easier to produce simply because in questing in daily areas, I find grade 6 materials - it takes 'farming' low level zones, or spam running low level missions to obtain the materials to make the lvl 20 version. Yes, they are functionally exactly the same, as is all orange gear of a given type, but I would say that many of us end up with an abundance of grade 6 materials, but never see grade 3 materials unless we go after them specifically.

I would argue that while you're doing those dailies you could be using at least a few of your companions on missions to get far more grade 3 mats than you will get grade 6. And then you could not only sell more custom-built sabers, as you would you have more mats AND they take far less time to craft, but you could also sell that surplus of grade 6 mats for pure profit.

You may thank me now.

Should I be proud or embarassed that I crafted 16 Elegants before getting the crit? :p

The only thing you really spend is the Lorridians, the rest is easy to pickup on the side of a road.

Now, in regards to making profit, I'll probably opt to build Customs for crits... :wea_03: