Suggestions for Someone New to this Type of MMO

JPXBrutality

I have only played one MMO before(DCUO) and from what I can tell it is completely different than this game both gameplay wise and control wise. This is the first game of this type that I have played, though I have played a little bit of LoL and the trees look to be set up in a similar way so that may help me. My real question is as to what role/class I should play. In DCUO I liked all the roles Tanking/Healing/DPSing and was good at all of them so if they are similar in tactic to DCUO I'm sure I would grasp in quickly. I'm worried about all these new names and stats and such mostly. I do want to use a lightsaber though so I do want to stick with that. I've been looking at doing either a Jedi Consular or Sith Inquisitor because I can level and then decided to either go tank/healer/dps when the time comes. My last question is whether or not it is possible to respec, like in DCUO I could respec my power points/skill points and spec differently when ever I wanted. Thanks!

I have played all roles, and basically they are all the same difficulty. That being said, DPS will have the least amount of pressure and be hardest to screw up but being good DPS is another thing all together! :D

Play what you like, Shadow/Assassin would be tanks or melee DPS and Sage/Sorcerer would be Heals or ranged DPS. You cannot respec your class, ie Shadow to Sage...however you can respec your tree from tank do dps or anything else at ny time.

I have played all roles, and basically they are all the same difficulty. That being said, DPS will have the least amount of pressure and be hardest to screw up but being good DPS is another thing all together! :D

Play what you like, Shadow/Assassin would be tanks or melee DPS and Sage/Sorcerer would be Heals or ranged DPS. You cannot respec your class, ie Shadow to Sage...however you can respec your tree from tank do dps or anything else at ny time.

Great thats good to know, at least I can level up as a DPS and when I get confident enough switch to a role thanks.

Yes, that is a very popular thing to do. Learn the mechanics by playing, read guides and watch youtube videos and you will be fine. This is a pretty simple game to lear compared to some others, not that it's a bad thing.

Another thing I see a lot of people new to this type of MMO look over...is gear. ALWAYS make sure your gear is up to date, level by using orange gear and putting the best mods into it available from planet commedation vendors. Gear is huge in these games, and you will be a lot better and have a lot more fun with good gear that is up to date for both you and your companion.

I've been looking at doing either a Jedi Consular or Sith Inquisitor because I can level and then decided to either go tank/healer/dps when the time comes. My last question is whether or not it is possible to respec, like in DCUO I could respec my power points/skill points and spec differently when ever I wanted. Thanks!

Just to expand on Xienive's post a little bit: While you can respec your skill -trees- at any time (I believe it's free of charge once per week), your advanced class choice is permanent. As players tend to select their AC right around level 10 (when they first get from the starter planet to the Fleet), and the branches can play very differently, you may want to do some research ahead of time to determine whether you'd like to go Sorcerer/Sage or Assassin/Shadow. It will, for example, be virtually impossible to tank on the former or group heal on the latter (although both can DPS, albeit at different ranges).

You'll have a bit of time to dither, but be prepared to have your choice of roles limited once you select your AC.

Edited by SelinaH

There is no one advanced class that can do all three roles. At lvl 10 Inquisitors can choose either; Assassin (tank & damage) or Sorcerer (heals & damage). It's the same for Consulars; Shadow or Sage.

Warriors choose either; Juggernaut (tank & damage) or Marauder (damage). It's the same for Knights; Guardian or Sentinel.

If you want to use lightsabers keep in mind that Sorcerer/Sage don't really use their lightsabers for combat. They use Force powers and are basically ranged classes that carry a lightsaber for the stats.

Edited by MorgonKara

Greetings JPXBrutality and welcome to the forums!

New Player Help has a great community of people who enjoy helping out others. We have some wonderful resources you might enjoy. There is the New Player Guide and the Online Game Manual to get you started. We also have our handy New Players Fleet Pass: A Directory of Resources which shocases various links that might assist you.

We have several member created guides that might help out, too!

Additionally, depending on what you are interested in and what class you are paying, make sure to check out the various stickied threads in those areas! These are great resources of information, often created by fellow community members.

A huge thank you to everyone who gave such awesome responses! :)

Hope that helps!

Edited by Ellvaan

Advanced classes are basically like this;

Inquisitor

Sorcerer - Force Powers - Heals or Damage skills

or

Assassin -Doublebladed lightsaber - Tank or Damage skills

Consular

Sage - Force Powers - Heals or Damage skills

or

Shadow -Doublebladed lightsaber - Tank or Damage skills

Warrior

Juggernaut - Lightsaber - Tank or Damage skills

or

Marauder - 2 Lightsabers - Damage skills

Knight

Guardian - Lightsaber - Tank or Damage skills

or

Sentinel - 2 Lightsabers - Damage skills

Some stats on population for each server can be found here:

http://www.torstatus.net/

If you're interested in a lightsaber wielding toon then bear in mind some classes like the Sorc may hold one but as a healer / ranged dps he will hardly ever start slashing it about the place. If you want to see and hear the saber whilst playing then you need to look for melee class like the assassin

Some stats on population for each server can be found here:

http://www.torstatus.net/

If you're interested in a lightsaber wielding toon then bear in mind some classes like the Sorc may hold one but as a healer / ranged dps he will hardly ever start slashing it about the place. If you want to see and hear the saber whilst playing then you need to look for melee class like the assassin

Thanks as long as I'm holding one I'm fine with that.

Great thats good to know, at least I can level up as a DPS and when I get confident enough switch to a role thanks.

While leveling as DPS is not an issue, I just want to add that it is possible to level as a Healer. I play a Heal-specced Sage and have had not trouble getting through the story or side quests. In fact, it's easier than my DPS IA/Sniper, since I have built-in healing for myself and my companion.

Hi,

You mentioned you were interested in using a light saber and were therefore considering a Sage or Inquisitor. Be warned: each has an advanced class that heals or does ranged damage-Sage or Sorceror. Sages/Sorcerors don't really use their light sabers. They are really just 'stat sticks'.

That doesn't mean they aren't fun or you won't enjoy them, but if you imagine yourself swinging a light saber, you probably want to pick one of the other three jedi/sith advanced classes.

EDIT: someone else already mentioned this....

One other suggestion: stay out of the general forum!

Edited by amantheil

Welcome to TOR.

DCUO is not like any other game on the market. That is both good and bad. I know, I played it, I have a couple of max level characters on there now PC side. Lantern and Sorc. I had not gone back to try the Lightning and the new tank class yet.. but I do plan to.

With this game, you do have an "active attack button" but not like DCUO. Your left mouse button is linked to hotbar button 1 if you are targeting an enemy with your reticule. Most like to have the autoattack there. Depending on the class I keep it there... Or I change it to an attacking power that I dont want to hot key.

Your roles and respec... You can respec anytime. They say the respecs are free, but I am always charged for it. Every Tuesday the cost is 0 or reduced, much like DCUO. Be aware, you cannot change your Advanced Class. You are stuck with it. If you go Sage and you want to stealth and use a double saber, you are SoL, you will need to make a new character.

Gear is obtained ok while you level. Orange gear gives you the most flexibility for appearance and a little more forgiving to upgrade over time. Use your planetary commendation (just do missions) to obtain the armor mods... Search the boards for the term Orange Gear and you will be having all kinds of info.

The side you want to join? Dude, that is all up to you. If you want to fight on the underdog side, Republic generally is where you want to go. While both factions have great stories... Sith were done up better. Hands down. The developers paid way more attention to the Empire than they did with the Republic, and everyone who has played both factions will testify to this, so long as they are objective.

My advice... You get 8 slots. Have 4 slots one of each class on one faction, and the other 4 slots be one of each class of the other faction. I would even suggest picking different advanced classes for both sides since for the most part, classes are mirrored from their counterpart. This will give you the opportunity to unlock class/race/companion unlocks for Legacy which give you a pretty nice and free bonus to your new characters. For example, if you were to go nuts and max out all your companion's conversation options for all the classes you would get +200 presence bonus for all your current and new characters. Presence gives a healing/tanking/dps boost for your companions. For humans hitting 50 you get a +100 presence bonus, and I do notice a difference on my characters.

Anyhow, if you have any questions, just hit me up. I am on Jung Ma server with Dark Legion's Empire (DLE).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.