Gear Grind: Working As Intended?

Lendal

PvP is currently all about gear. You either have the top gear or you fail. Simple as that.

Shouldn't PvP success/fail be about skill instead of gear?

Is this ever going to change or it it working as intended?

:(

PvP is currently all about gear. You either have the top gear or you fail. Simple as that.

This is an RPG, so yes, gear will always matter.

Secondly. The difference between BM and WH is minimal. You can do just as well in BM gear as you can in WH.

You aren't going to find actual PvP (Skill versus Skill) in games that are RPGs because RPGs are all about building your character and making him fight which is kind of the opposite of PvP.

Some games actually try to mitigate the RPG aspects (Guild Wars, for example) and implement something that actually resembles PvP, however the term "PvP" has been thrown around so loosely that everyone fancies themselves a PvP Hero because they were told that they were doing PvP when in fact they were simply doing more PvE (Raiding in Warzones, essentially).

I'll admit the grind is excruciating since 1.2. I'm a former hardcore PvPer now playing 2-3 hours a night tops. I'm currently rank 73 valor and was - for the most part - able to keep up with people putting in more time. Now with the scramble/cost for augmented gear and the outrageous 3:1 exchange for WarHero Commendations the scale has tipped in favor of those with more time.

That, and it's beginning to get boring doing the same old WZs with the same old people. Oh, and.... nerf marauders defensive abilities, thanks.

You aren't going to find actual PvP (Skill versus Skill) in games that are RPGs because RPGs are all about building your character and making him fight which is kind of the opposite of PvP.

Some games actually try to mitigate the RPG aspects (Guild Wars, for example) and implement something that actually resembles PvP, however the term "PvP" has been thrown around so loosely that everyone fancies themselves a PvP Hero because they were told that they were doing PvP when in fact they were simply doing more PvE (Raiding in Warzones, essentially).

PVP = player VS player

WZ = player vs player

Thats all it means, whatever deifnition YOU define is your opinion...

PVP = player VS player

WZ = player vs player

Thats all it means, whatever deifnition YOU define is your opinion...

WZ = Character versus Character.

You picked a class that has nothing to do with your skill.

You wear armor that has nothing to do with your skill.

You use a spec that has nothing to do with your skill.

The only aspect of Warzones that even remotely relies on the player is the activation of abilities.

Not actual PvP, but good try.

WZ = Character versus Character.

You picked a class that has nothing to do with your skill.

You wear armor that has nothing to do with your skill.

You use a spec that has nothing to do with your skill.

The only aspect of Warzones that even remotely relies on the player is the activation of abilities.

Not actual PvP, but good try.

This guy gets it but I want to add that there is some skill involved, just no where near games like FPS.

There is some skill in gearing up your character properly, maybe skill isn't the right word but you know what I mean.

Reaction time from the player still plays a roll in RPG, just not as much as other types of games.

Strategy/tactics still play a roll in RPG PvP to an extent.

I don't mean to sound bitter, but...

It seems like the devs are fooling you into thinking you can go into a WZ at a lower level or with lesser gear and play in there on an equal footing because of the 'bolster' effect they've put in the game supposedly to even the playing field.

They must know by now that it doesn't work. Maybe they've known that from the first. I don't know...

Anyway, once you hit 50, the game becomes all about the WZs. Because there really isn't any other 'content' at that point. And in order to have fun playing in the WZs, you have to put in a LOT of time getting the best gear. Otherwise it's really just a continuous faceroll that you're apparently expected to put up with.

Well, GW2 is just around the corner. Maybe it'll be better.

Hope so...

I don't mean to sound bitter, but...

It seems like the devs are fooling you into thinking you can go into a WZ at a lower level or with lesser gear and play in there on an equal footing because of the 'bolster' effect they've put in the game supposedly to even the playing field.

They must know by now that it doesn't work. Maybe they've known that from the first. I don't know...

Anyway, once you hit 50, the game becomes all about the WZs. Because there really isn't any other 'content' at that point. And in order to have fun playing in the WZs, you have to put in a LOT of time getting the best gear. Otherwise it's really just a continuous faceroll that you're apparently expected to put up with.

Well, GW2 is just around the corner. Maybe it'll be better.

Hope so...

There is no Bolster in 50 PvP

There is plenty of PvE content at 50. Just no PvP content besides WZ's and the occasional gank party on Tat.

There is no Bolster in 50 PvP

There is plenty of PvE content at 50. Just no PvP content besides WZ's and the occasional gank party on Tat.

Oh, yeah. You're right. There is content at 50 other than the WZs. It's the gear grind in the Flash Points that will eventually get you geared up so that you can do the hard modes. And, again, it's all about the gear grind. Sorry I forgot about that. I stand corrected.

I'm thinking this just really isn't my game. Sorry for whining about what I thought the game might have been compared to what it actually is.

That's really my own problem...

100% correct. It will never change. A straw house built on stale ideas. PvP has gone the way of the dinosaur intellectually and there is no hero of thought to change its direction. Its a time sink, gear grind, subscription based event designed for specific mmo personalities that MUST do it. There is a type of player who does these things and they know that. Unfortunately there are a minority who are looking for that skill based fun and are stuck within the machine.

To be fair though with the recent adjustment to WZ rewards I'm getting anywhere between 50-90 coms for a lose and 120-140 coms for a win. If you WZ regularly, which I assume anyone who calls themselves a SW: ToR PvPer does, you can get BM gear rather quickly. If you have the presence of mind to PvP prior to the level cap you can hit 80 with 2000 coms already in the bank you get one of the chunkier pieces of armor or weapon and go from there.

Does gear matter A LOT in ToR PvP? Yes.

Is that gear necessarily hard to get? Nope.

Edited by Madeira

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.