Rakghoul Plague Outbreak Ended - Surprised by this?

Arjin

I'm surprised it get to page 4 before someone posted this.

YOU HAD A WEEK ADVANCED KNOWLEDGE THAT THE EVENT WAS GOING TO END.

Don't be sad you didn't get to gouge people on DNA samples

Event to gain DNA samples ending is different than the vendor to turn them in disappearing. If it were obvious they were tied together, why did BW feel the need to clarify the vendor was going away a few hours before?

Bringing the vendor back for people to spend their DNA samples would hurt no one.

You can be mad all you want, but my request to BW is just that. Has nothing to do with you and you wanting your items to be as rare as possible. I did the event as well, and would like to turn in my samples.

I had IRL engagements the past few days, and like most other MMOs, assumed I could turn in my samples when I got back today.

Now that this precedent is set, we all know the vendors for events will go away when the event ends. This can be cited now. But for a first time thing, BW should temporarily put the vendor back in the game.

edit: Also, BW, please understand that anyone arguing against this just wants a higher price for their green black crystals. Nothing more.

Edited by Partyrockk

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd feel more sympathy for the people that failed to spend if it weren't for the fact that 90% of them would be whining just as hard that they weren't informed the vendor was going away a week AFTER the event were that the case.

OK I understand that they may and probably did post that it was going to end. I acknowledge that this is not biowares fault. But let me say this. YOU NEVER REMOVE NPC TURN IN / VENDORS FROM AN EVENT AS SOON AS IT ENDS. Period no arguement EVER. You end the event, the quest line, the items needed to finish the quest but NEVER the turn in vendor and if you do its NEVER right after the event ends. There are ALWAYS people like this poster and myself that for some reason or another thought they had time to turn them in and now spent a lot of time on something totally worthless.

I myself had to attend my grandmothers funeral, a burial at sea and the whole event took much longer and an unexpected stay overnight until today where I logged in to find out the event was over as I expected but the vendor was also removed.

I am pleading that if you decide not to reinstate the vendor that in future events you leave the final vendor up for at least a week after an event ends.

I have played many MMO games since the mid 90's and all of them learn this same lesson. Many of them reinstate or leave the final turn in / mob you hail, etc for a few weeks after the event ends so everyone gets a chance to recieve the rewards.

If you decide that this is not an option for this event then in future events I beg that you do keep the final vendor / turn in mob longer than the event. There is always some people who have unusual circumstances.

They did that in SWG. When an event ended the vendor was gone as well. Most of us put our items in the bank and waited for the next time.

As someone who likes to play the game, not visit the forums to read about the game, all of these events instances and events that happen ingame, and whose parameters aren't even hinted about ingame are failures on the part of Bioware. I don't want to play the game and come out to read the forums to find out things that I should be learning about within the game!

I'm sick of this stuff happening. I had saved something like 120-130 rakghoul dna samples yet were not even indicated ingame how/what/when to use them by. Bioware keeps messing things up like this. Please consider the players that like to logon and actually play, not discuss the game or find out things through such means as twitter feeds, dev posts, forum accounts, etc.

So, can we still get our rakling pets? My daughter (who is level 32) has been unable to get an orokeet egg because of constantly being killed trying to wait for it to spawn, she wants a rakling but if unable to get one of those too it is really getting to be too much. The whole way that Bioware runs their ship, it seems to clash with how our (myself, my daughter) playstyles. We log on and play when we have a chance, not every night, a few hours here and there. Our time is limited. We spend several evenings trying to get something and are continually attacked in doing so, ok no problem, we are both less than level 50's. But this rakghoul thing, there is no way to get clues ingame, no way to figure things out randomly without having the time to spend hours roaming random places hoping to run across some random items, and we aren't even told ingame how/where to go, what to do, etc...

Again, this is Biowares world, we just inhabit and play in it. But the way they are doing things is inconsistent with our style of play and more and more is it apparent this may not be the right game for us despite our love of all things Star Wars...

Loved the event. But it's stupid that you took the vendor away immediately. Why? What point did it serve? Wasted time and wasted tokens for me now since I was out of town this weekend. WoW sure didn't do that....

WoW doesn't even have any world events since vanilla mate (pre-expansion ones dont count).

I'm on the annual pass for WoW too before you go off to say I'm defending Bioware. Just getting your facts straight.

I had saved something like 120-130 rakghoul dna samples yet were not even indicated ingame how/what/when to use them by. .

A vendor that didn't exist before the event is placed, completely and easily visible on the map, about fifty feet away from the starting point of the event chain, and you were unable to find it? I'm really not sure what more they can do for you on that end of things besides sending you an in-game email, and out of game email, giving you a phone call, and then sending a CSR to your house to physically show you where it is.

So BW should bow down to your every needs because you have jobs? I have a job and I made sure I logged in and spent my DNA chips before the servers went down.

You were irresponsible. Now you can wait until they bring the event back.

I'm surprised it get to page 4 before someone posted this.

YOU HAD A WEEK ADVANCED KNOWLEDGE THAT THE EVENT WAS GOING TO END.

don't be sad you didn't get to gouge people on DNA samples

The people that read the notices had a week advanced knowledge. The people that didn't read them, didn't. There are lots of upset people posting here, why are they doing this? It's a guess, but my feeling is that the majority of the people were genuinely surprised and only a minority forgot to turn in their tokens and are pretending upsets in the hopes of getting the vendor back. If you think swtor players are primarily jerks and liars and the minority good people, then why are you in this game with them?

BioWare, I would suggest putting the end-of-event announcement in-game in the login messages as well as on the forums.

-- KB

A vendor that didn't exist before the event is placed, completely and easily visible on the map, about fifty feet away from the starting point of the event chain, and you were unable to find it? I'm really not sure what more they can do for you on that end of things besides sending you an in-game email, and out of game email, giving you a phone call, and then sending a CSR to your house to physically show you where it is.

Yes Liokae, unable to find it. An in-game anything would have been helpful. Anything. You have taken quite the condoning tone within this thread Liokae, I appreciate you taking up for Bioware, I'm sure they must be pleased to see such zealots defending their game on these threads, but for someone who is new to this type of MMORPG and how things generally work, it would be nice to see a little more done to inform those that aren't playing the game 8-hours a day or migrated over from whatever other similar game how things work without having to googlesearch our way through the game.

Best Buy puts a big sign in EVERY store saying that anything you buy in the stores earns you 10 points. Collect 100 points and get a free Laptop. This points program is only good for a week. Then the night before the program Ends, Best Buy puts a add in the newspaper that the program is ending, and by the way, you need to use your points by the end of that night.

Also those who got the free Laptops are standing outside the store gloating, cheering and booing refusing to let the others try to talk to customer service; yelling, "LOL it was right in the paper, do some research!"

----

Taken from an earlier post, but describes this situation perfectly.

I don't know, maybe this is just me but ... if you are willing/able to come to the forums to post complaints like this, you should be willing/able to come to the forums to seek information for things that are, admittedly, important to you. There was a post announcing the end of the event in DevTracker and a post announcing that the vendor would be going along with it.

My guess is lots of people didn't know they needed to come to the forums to seek information. I'm definitely one of them. Could be our fault for not knowing to go to the forums? You could argue yes, because not knowing the law is no excuse for breaking it, but that traffic violation ticket does feel worse because you didn't know you were going to get it, and it would have been nice for the city to post a few more signs. But the city doesn't have to post any signs for its laws, it depends on what kind of city the city council wants to be. BioWare has been big on customer experience, so I would like to believe they'd be the type of city to post lots of signs next time. Please post ending warnings in the login messages, and in the loader screen. Not everyone knows to come to the forums, at least not until something is wrong. I don't really enjoy reading forums. Do I deserve to not turn in my tokens because I don't like reading forums? That is debatable.

-- KB

Anyways, since it seems the only way to get through the game is by coming to the forum and reading dev posts:

1) Is the crimson rakling pet part of this rakghoul event that ended?

2) Is the crimson rakling pet still available to be found?

It is becoming so painfully obvious this game and the presentation Bioware sold us on through several years of development is nothing like what they said it would be. I'm not going to play a game that requires us to search google or forums in order to get questions answered. There is a great codex system set up ingame, why not include parameters (with spoilers) about how things will work - again, ingame. If you want to find out about how to get a pet, which ones available, etc... these are things my 11 yr old daughter enjoys about the game more than PvP, why not make this info more readily available/searchable ingame?

Also those who got the free Laptops are standing outside the store gloating, cheering and booing refusing to let the others try to talk to customer service; yelling, "LOL it was right in the paper, do some research!"

----

Taken from an earlier post, but describes this situation perfectly.

This scenario has some serious jerk factor in it. Does it improve the gloating people to show no sympathy for the unhappy people? Is this really the way people should treat each other? I don't get it.

This scenario has some serious jerk factor in it. Does it improve the gloating people to show no sympathy for the unhappy people? Is this really the way people should treat each other? I don't get it.

This forum is full of gloating apologists. It is ironic in that usually those that go to forums are those that have problems that need to be solved or questions that need answers, not filled with those that come to taunt the ones with problems or issues...

Edited by Bragalot

I was. 220 DNA samples. Little window for a warning would have been nice.

Put a vendor on the fleet for a week. Put way too much effort to get these. Now I need to flush em down the toilet with all of my Merc, Champion, and Centurion comms????

Might I suggest a minor outbreak on, say, Quesh. Cut and paste the vendors etc? Allow people to finish?

I have to think, with their past track record, that they will make some adjustment, perhaps run it at a later time whith updated gear?

I guess what I'm saying is that you may end up being sorry if you flush them. ;p

This forum is full of gloating apologists. It is ironic in that usually those that go to forums are those that have problems that need to be solved or questions that need answers, not filled with those that come to taunt the ones with problems or issues...

I know for most people on this side (or maybe just a lot? Or not even that, I suppose I can't really speak for certain besides myself), it's not actually opposition to having the vendor in for a few days extra past the event close. It's annoyance at this stupid, entitled, self-satisfied air that the people who missed the deadline are putting on, as if they've suffered some grievous injury and been horribly mistreated by the whole thing.

I know for most people on this side (or maybe just a lot? Or not even that, I suppose I can't really speak for certain besides myself), it's not actually opposition to having the vendor in for a few days extra past the event close. It's annoyance at this stupid, entitled, self-satisfied air that the people who missed the deadline are putting on, as if they've suffered some grievous injury and been horribly mistreated by the whole thing.

I don't see people saying they have been mistreated, the gist of what people are saying is that Bioware has mishandled the event, and discussing what they might have done better. In my particular case, it would be nice to get a little clue as to a direction in which to garner info about the event ingame. I have been a subscriber to the game from hour-1 of the early access period, and realize I play the game in such a way that it is not consistent with the type of player Bioware is obviously catering to (not a 'hardcore gamer', not a 'most valuable player' worthy of a free month, for example) - but if this is the way that Bioware is going to carry out events, it's a problem. I don't like googlesearching my way though games because there is a lack of information within the game to point us in a direction. If this is the type of game Bioware has created, one in which players must read dev posts and twitter blogs and whatever, then it's not the game for me and judging by the reaction of others - not the game for them either.

I don't see people saying they have been mistreated, the gist of what people are saying is that Bioware has mishandled the event, and discussing what they might have done better. In my particular case, it would be nice to get a little clue as to a direction in which to garner info about the event ingame. I have been a subscriber to the game from hour-1 of the early access period, and realize I play the game in such a way that it is not consistent with the type of player Bioware is obviously catering to (not a 'hardcore gamer', not a 'most valuable player' worthy of a free month, for example) - but if this is the way that Bioware is going to carry out events, it's a problem. I don't like googlesearching my way though games because there is a lack of information within the game to point us in a direction. If this is the type of game Bioware has created, one in which players must read dev posts and twitter blogs and whatever, then it's not the game for me and judging by the reaction of others - not the game for them either.

Let me just say, this is not fun. I'd rather be playing the game than posting grievances on a forum right at this moment.

Huge blunder, BW.

I was gone for 3 days. Now the game time I put into the event is wasted. Ending the event means ending the ability to acquire currency toward the event items, and no more event quests.

This will be bad PR for SWToR. Not helping the silent masses that are on the fence about renewing. "Yay, I have a couple hundred DNAs that are now useless unless I stick around for a year. What a waste of time. /ragequit".

What game takes away an event vendor at the same time an event ends?

Really?

Fire your PR person if they haven't chimed in on this, BW.

Ending a limited time event after a limited amount of time is a blunder? Sounds to me like the blunder was you not planning around your absence.

As for what game takes away the vendor as soon as the event ends? Every game I've played does. SWG did. City of Heroes does. WoW does. Everyone saying that no other game does it this way needs to start listing those games, because I've never encountered any.

Yes Liokae, unable to find it. An in-game anything would have been helpful. Anything\.

Yeah! The game should have a World Map that shows where things are! o wait...

Seriously, you made it clear you're unwilling to seek info from outside sources. Are you also allergic to talking to other people ingame?

Basically, you're asking to be handheld through the game. If this were a single player game, you wouldn't be asking for all bonus areas to be clearly marked with large neon signs, so why should they be here?

Most games, even most MMOs, explicitly don't tell you everything. That's because for some people, figuring it out is fun. For everyone else, there's using your words and asking the people that like to figure that stuff out. It's basic game design, and people shouldn't be faulting BioWare for engaging in it.

Seasonal Event... Yep remove the vendor when it is over and people can hand in their stuff next time it occurs. Understandable cause it is seasonal.

1.2 - Rakghoul event... one time occurance...

Leave the turn-in vendor up so people can hand them in afterwards. It doesn't look like we will see this same event again, so it is a bit logical, and nice, to leave the vendor around for people to finish handing in their stuff.

Or... create some other NPC that can handle that on the fleet.

Seasonal Event... Yep remove the vendor when it is over and people can hand in their stuff next time it occurs. Understandable cause it is seasonal.

1.2 - Rakghoul event... one time occurance...

Leave the turn-in vendor up so people can hand them in afterwards. It doesn't look like we will see this same event again, so it is a bit logical, and nice, to leave the vendor around for people to finish handing in their stuff.

Or... create some other NPC that can handle that on the fleet.

I've seen nothing to even hint this is the only time we'll see it. The simple fact that games don't do one-off code because it's stupid argues against that. As does the fact they didn't just wipe out all DNA, clear all disease buffs, and remove all remaining missions from mission logs.

Unless you've seen a post or comment or official page somewhere that said this was one time only, I'm going to say I disagree with your interpretation.