Rate the Smuggler story 1-10

ncupton

plot twists and tough choices...

Yeah, I also thought it's about "twists and choices...." untill I tried out MEs 1&2 (yes, didn't play those before)...But if not compare with non-swotr - I'd rate it about 7-8. It's fun, it's not boring, and it's kinda freelancer feeling... but choices?...sorry, no. You end as you end, you don't have any other options, was you "good" or "bad". Probably, several variables were tracked (like Ivory), but I suppose they won't ever bring real non-linear plots into MMOs. As each plot split takes 2 extra lines to work out. And there are already 8 current storys to work with + global rep\imp things..

I'd say 7/10, so far I'm lvl 45~, just starting Voss.

The story is cool. There is a moment you are forced to be a republic privateer, and it sucks hard, but soon you discover you can still be free and do whatever you want.

Except that, it's fine. Even if it's full of Han Solo stuff : the ship, the wookie friend, the princess leila... I mean, risha, romance.... If you don't like Han Solo, you'll hate the smuggler. If you like him, well you'll like the story.

There 2 things I dislike so far :

-Corso. For an unknown reason, this guy think and act as an idealist trooper, but still works for a smuggler. Also, the "farmboy acting" is getting on my nerves.

-You are either good side->working for the republic, or DS->doing really bad things. There is no "neutral side" doing stuff for you, but without being really bad.

For example, on Quesh there is this situation : a friendly smuggler, working for the republic, is grounded. You help the captain to fly again. He needs to deliver medicine to some colony or whatever. You can either choose to let him go and make his delivery, or tell him to stop (let people die) and send him to work for you. There is no "make your delivery, then stop working for the republic and work for me" choice.

I don't want to be the ultimate bad guy, but I don't want to be the republic's pet. I want to make money, and still help people along the way, especially the people ignored by the republic. And yet, I have no choice for this, while it's an obvious course of action.

Remember the smuggler girl who broke the mandalorian blockade ? She was doing a lot of money, and happen to make something good. Same goes for Han Solo, he is here for the money, and the girl, but still save the galaxy.

Oh, worth noting : I never smuggle anything during the smuggler storyline. The only time being right at the beginning. Then, never.

I'd give it a 6. Mostly because it wasn't a Smuggler story. Compare the Bounty Hunter story where you get to actually be a Bounty Hunter...

I'd have to agree. Especially Chapter 2. I kept thinking, "Wait...wasn't I a Smuggler?! And where are the 'I don't care about your Republic, just credits' conversation options??"

Chapter One really helps make up for it, and Chapter 3 gets back to it...sorta, so I'd rate it a 7 out of 10.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

I wanted my ship back in the prologue. Got it.

I wanted Scab-Ick dead, and I wanted Risha TF off my ship in Act One.

In Act Two, I wanted BW to learn what a Privateer is, given that they wanted me to be one.

Hate the big reveal of Act Three with an unholy passion.

I enjoy the mechanics of the Smuggler, but the story stinks on ice.

I would rank it a 9.

This is my third toon, and Ive found the smuggler storyline the best of all. As others have mentioned, the sardonic wit and comments made by this class during the storyline quest arc have literally made me laugh out loud.

It's important to break this down: Act 1 is 11/10. Fantastic antagonists, wacky hijinks, the novelty of all the brilliant snarky lines you're hearing for the first time, and all the sneak thieving you could ask for. The allies were charming, the villains engaging/infuriating. The end fight and associated scene was beyond satisfying.

Act 2, I didn't even notice when it ended. There was just, I dunno, some stuff, for some reason, into Act 3. I would've wandered off entirely if not for Darmas Pollaran - but see, that's the genius of the Smuggler line. Even when the story is weak, the conflict contrived, and the companion recruitment downright forced, the individual NPCs are fantastic. You're likely to find someone you love or hate enough to keep going for.

I don't think anything after Act 1 held together as a very good narrative. So, 6.

I've played the Agent, Bounty Hunter, Inquisitor, and Warrior quest lines...Just finished the Smuggler one it's it's by far my favorite so far.

Agent was a close second and the best ending goes to BH by far.

Back to the smuggler, I thought the dialogue was great...the writing was just perfect. The smart-a responses were awesome and I really think the female smuggler voice is just too sexy!

9/10 for Smuggler story...

I found smuggler more entertaining that any of the other classes. The characters are great, the plot is pretty thin, but that is pretty spot on for the star wars universe. What bugged me about it is that most of the companions are forced on to you so hard that, at least my reaction, was that I didn't want these jerks on my ship. Still they aren't as bad as the bounty hunter's deveronian companion (seriously, nobody would ever take that guy by choice). The Risha quest line when you get your ship back is the worst, why would you trust the slimy lady who was working with the villain who stole your ship? how is this a good idea? They could have at least had her say something to try to put you at ease, instead she just acts like an arrogant sleezeball. I was looking for the get the hell off my ship before I shoot you option and was disappointed it wasn't there. But honestly, now that I think of it, the storylines for all the characters in this game are really forced, so it's on par with the rest of it. The funny characters do make the smuggler the most entertaining one though.

What bugged me about it is that most of the companions are forced on to you so hard that, at least my reaction, was that I didn't want these jerks on my ship.

Seriously.

I spent fifteen levels being as rude to Risha as possible, objecting to everything she said, assuring her I didn't trust her, and then when the inevitable backstabbing occurred she announced "Hey, I like you and will work with you!"

What?

No, you won't. I'll shoot you. I'll even shoot first. You're arrogant scum who was obviously holding out on me from day one, and I have given you every reason to hate me.

"We're gonna be friends!"

Guss I love, but Guss I would've shot in the back six or seven times before the actual recruitment point. BW made a small conciliatory move by letting me punch him before he came on board, but still...he's not worth the money it would take to keep him on my side to start with.

I like 'em both now but the recruitments were narrative slop.

Seriously.

I spent fifteen levels being as rude to Risha as possible, objecting to everything she said, assuring her I didn't trust her, and then when the inevitable backstabbing occurred she announced "Hey, I like you and will work with you!"

What?

No, you won't. I'll shoot you. I'll even shoot first. You're arrogant scum who was obviously holding out on me from day one, and I have given you every reason to hate me.

Guss I love, but Guss I would've shot in the back six or seven times before the actual recruitment point. BW made a small conciliatory move by letting me punch him before he came on board, but still...he's not worth the money it would take to keep him on my side to start with.

I wish they never took out killing companions. On my BH, there is a companion that I would like nothing more than to kill to this very day. I'm at 50, and he's still useless.

Can't believe that BioWare even put big messages in bold red type that said "THIS IS PERMANENT, ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO KILL YOUR COMPANION???" People did it anyway, then whined on the forums that they didn't have a healer companion because they're dead.

I wish they'd bring it back, I really do.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

Seriously.

What?

Word.

The recruitments were slop, AND I still hate them.

My independent entrepreneur, who owns his own ship, cannot seem to lock the airlock on: a drunken cowtipping idiot, a snotty little backstabbing daddy's girl (and Skavak's castoff ho-bag to boot), a walking carpet who aggros entire planets then dies leaving you to do cleanup, a so-so healer for comic relief, and a droid who makes C-3PO look butch.

It's frankly insulting to the intelligence of the common dog. We're supposed to think it's "fun."

Word.

The recruitments were slop, AND I still hate them.

My independent entrepreneur, who owns his own ship, cannot seem to lock the airlock on: a drunken cowtipping idiot, a snotty little backstabbing daddy's girl (and Skavak's castoff ho-bag to boot), a walking carpet who aggros entire planets then dies leaving you to do cleanup, a so-so healer for comic relief, and a droid who makes C-3PO look butch.

It's frankly insulting to the intelligence of the common dog. We're supposed to think it's "fun."

You left Akaavi out of that list. I am glad you do have some taste in good companions, because she is by far the most awesome, as a character and in combat. I have to say, as ****** as she was in scenes before you recruit her, taking out entire imperial squads in a few seconds, I was freaking thrilled when she realized that she had nowhere to go and I had a ship.

You left Akaavi out of that list. I am glad you do have some taste in good companions, because she is by far the most awesome, as a character and in combat. I have to say, as ****** as she was in scenes before you recruit her, taking out entire imperial squads in a few seconds, I was freaking thrilled when she realized that she had nowhere to go and I had a ship.

Hmm... never have tried her. Now you're makin' me wanna dust 'er off and giver 'er a shot...