The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Doing more burst/damage as full tank

-Rinzler-

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GRGb0RroGRZMcdM.1

Ive been running Iron fist 90% of the time. Dabbled in Pyro and AP. I defintly do more damage pyro but survivability is shat.

Anyways ive been running above spec the last 2 days. I dont have any logs or hard numbers. But i did pull off a few 400k+ voidstars. I also notice maruders arent hitting me as hard either.

But the heatblast is just amazing. Drop it at the same time as a rocket punch or railshot and it does some great burst. (3200 crit plus a potential 1200 crit = awesome)

All im really loosing out on is the +8% dmg on rocket punch. Which is like ~300 damage, easily made up by the heatblast, plus its free and -8 heat. And im losing the 6 sec quell, but thats bout it. We have so many interrupts as it is its not a huge loss.

And heat levels are much more manageble, prolly another reason im getting much higher damage than iron fist.

My gear is combat tech, 1164 expertise. im rank 76,

Edited by -Rinzler-

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GRGb0RroGRZMcdM.1

Ive been running Iron fist 90% of the time. Dabbled in Pyro and AP. I defintly do more damage pyro but survivability is shat.

Anyways ive been running above spec the last 2 days. I dont have any logs or hard numbers. But i did pull off a few 400k+ voidstars. I also notice maruders arent hitting me as hard either.

But the heatblast is just amazing. Drop it at the same time as a rocket punch or railshot and it does some great burst. (3200 crit plus a potential 1200 crit = awesome)

All im really loosing out on is the +8% dmg on rocket punch. Which is like ~300 damage, easily made up by the heatblast, plus its free and -8 heat. And im losing the 6 sec quell, but thats bout it. We have so many interrupts as it is its not a huge loss.

And heat levels are much more manageble, prolly another reason im getting much higher damage than iron fist.

My gear is combat tech, 1164 expertise. im rank 76,

I would really like to see some numbers. Also, the damage voidstar matches always run high. I'm not sure this is because people get tunnel vision when it comes to the doors or what.

Try to consider how much you were being beaten on vs. left alone. Was it survivability, or was it simply negligence on the part of your enemy?

I won't rule anything out, but I'm leary.

Interesting...I might give this a shot once I have some more time. Couple tweaks that might help your build though:

Supercharged Ion Gas: Move the point to Oil Slick. IGC is broken and doing a pathetic amount of base damage. Increasing a pathetic base damage by 25% doesn't help. Reducing accuracy by 20% (especially when so many players ignore accuracy and sit at like 92%) is more helpful imo.

Hot Iron: move this point to Ironfist. 3% on flame burst on one of our lowest DPS abilities or 4% to one of our highest DPS abilities? Theoretically with the increased shield chance, you should be resetting RP more often anyways.

I'm also contemplating taking one point out of advanced tools and moving it to Ironfist. 35 sec grapple is so nice though...

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of this build. Ironfist runs hot and I often find myself rapid shotting when my vent heat/TSO is on CD. The question is, is heatblast worth the -4% on RP and -6% on flameburst? I think in longer fights, it is.

This build also allows us to swap out one or two additional pieces of tank gear for DPS gear (you still need a decent shield chance even if you're using DPS gear). With 6% shield/8%absorb from talents, swapping out more tank pieces is definitely possible.

Another interesting idea is to use the PvP Supercommando set shells in conjunction with combat tech mods. It would take awhile to build up, but once our base crit is high enough, I think the +15% RP chance becomes negligible and the reduced CD to Heatblast/Jet Charge and the +5% damage (to eveeeeeeerything) becomes ALOT more attractive.

Edited by Rischardo

ok i tweaked this build a bit took some advice from the post above mine and this is what i came up with .... please lmk what you guys think.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GRGddMroGRZMcZb.1

please give dont come in here saying "this is why ppl like you shouldnt play this game" give me some constructive criticism as to why you wouldnt point some points into certain talents.

ok i tweaked this build a bit took some advice from the post above mine and this is what i came up with .... please lmk what you guys think.

please give dont come in here saying "this is why ppl like you shouldnt play this game" give me some constructive criticism as to why you wouldnt point some points into certain talents.

I run a similar build to this but instead of 3/3 intimidation I only go 1/3 and put the other 2 points into Power Armor. We have so few ways of actually reducing damage since shield/defense don't work against half the attacks I felt that the damage reduction was a better choice.

So what gearing on this spec? I've got mixed BM/WH Combat Tech, all BM Eliminator, and the BM Supercommando gun and shield generator. I'm not real familiar with tank stats so what would be the bare minimum tanking gear necessary to try this spec? Would all dps gear be fine?

This is what I use http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GRGRz0rRrRZMcbZb.1 and it does quite OK. Overall though If you like your build you have better theres nothing wrong with it at all.

So what gearing on this spec? I've got mixed BM/WH Combat Tech, all BM Eliminator, and the BM Supercommando gun and shield generator. I'm not real familiar with tank stats so what would be the bare minimum tanking gear necessary to try this spec? Would all dps gear be fine?

i wouldn't mind knowing this as well. i've just completed my BM Combat Tech set (was running IF). I'm quite keen on trying a full tank spec but is this still a 'dps tank' idea or full tank mods?