I am certain BW/EA knows this but...

thebigdmkilla

If you even think about charging for character transfers, you will have a massive...MASSIVE exodus of subscriptions and players. In rift you could change servers free every 5 days. I suspect something like that.

I have been in queue for PvP for 2:32 and no match has popped up. We have 10 people on the fleet, and 1 on Tatooine. I know it is 9 AM west coast time but more than 10 people should be playing.

Just my cents.

If you even think about charging for character transfers, you will have a massive...MASSIVE exodus of subscriptions and players. In rift you could change servers free every 5 days. I suspect something like that.

I have been in queue for PvP for 2:32 and no match has popped up. We have 10 people on the fleet, and 1 on Tatooine. I know it is 9 AM west coast time but more than 10 people should be playing.

Just my cents.

There's a side effect to the free + 5 days thing, and that's that you end up with people chasing ambulances around. The servers that are relatively stable now, start to bounce all over the place, and that's miserable. If the duplicate name thing is handled poorly, then you become subject to it if you are on a healthy server, and everyone bails, and now 'you' are on a low server, and might end up with a forced name change, or be stuck on a miserable server.

When I created my characters, I made 40 of them (to reserve names) on 5 boxes. In the first week, they all were full and had queues, they softened up a lot after they added the additional servers, which was a big mistake. But with Rift-like transfers, I could end up getting screwed, even though I was there on day one, and purposely picked some healthy servers. That doesn't seem terribly fair, does it?

I don't know, it's one of my "when to start filling out my bucket list" list (below). When I'll start needing to make a list of things I want to do before I leave the game. Sadly, the 'puritan' wand seems to be constantly hanging over everything. Getting screwed in server merges, transfers, renames will just make me sick to my stomach. I will promise I won't post a rage thread though. I'll just go. :)

I wish what someone would do with an MMO is just make one...big....server. You look at this game and EQ2, they already have the multiple instance thing working for them. Even LotRO has that now. Why not expand that to one gigantic world with multiple servers that serve it up. Use the FFXIV "First + Last" is unique, and then we're all good to go. No server transfers, they aren't required. Lots of warzones going on, if you go to Tatooine (from another thread) and 99 players is too laggy for you, flip over to a 20.

My 2 cents.

Just my cents.

Right... in Rift..

now... list a few other games that you can do that for free... no?

Free transfer every 7th day, like they have in Rift, might sound good but it did nothing good for the community. People were moving all over the place.. Give everyone a one-time free transfer for all their chars and then put a small fee on it, or make it once a month or so.. or both. Edited by Lundli

Just my cents.

Then please explain how Blizzard gets away with charging for character transfers at $25 a character? I mean, they have free targeted transfers to balance out their population, but they offer paid character transfers to any server (type restrictions may or may not apply), and there was never a massive exodus over them.

Right... in Rift..

now... list a few other games that you can do that for free... no?

So what?

Then please explain how Blizzard gets away with charging for character transfers at $25 a character? I mean, they have free targeted transfers to balance out their population, but they offer paid character transfers to any server (type restrictions may or may not apply), and there was never a massive exodus over them.

Sorry, but this isnt wow.

Edited by Satanski

Hello everyone,

We know that a number of you wish to discuss server transfers and in order to keep the discussion together we ask that everyone use this thread. This will help to ensure our forums are tidy and everyone can participate in the ongoing conversation. We will be closing this thread, feel free to carry on there!