Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

1.3 eta?

ViciousFett

+1 for this. I always smile and shake my head when I see people talking about GW2 like it's the coming mmorpg messiah. What they say about Diablo 3 is even funnier. It isn't even an mmo. Games like Diablo and The Elder Scrolls series are a lot of fun, but aside from being RPGs, they're a completely different type of game. People will play Diablo 3 for several days, burn through all the content and go back to playing an mmorpg. Let me add that I've been wasting time playing games for several years and I've played all the games mentioned on this thread (except for GW2. I played GW.) when they were the hottest thing.

They wont only play it for 7 days trust me. and this game will die when GW2 Diablo3 firefall SW Terra come out

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GW2 has openpvp....bioware at the moment has zip for openpvp...with openpvp you can make you own freakin content. :) Live by the sword die by the sword. Bioware "will" feel the hurt in subs when GW2 goes live.

I'm not sure Bioware will "feel the hurt" when GW2 drops. Don't get me wrong. I played GW from Prophecies to Eye of the North and everything in between. It is coming out with a lot of amazing features such as breaking away from the classic mmo trinity of tanks, heals, and deeps and doing very interesting things such as no dedicated healing class. The beauty of GW2 though is that all you have to pay is the box fee and that's it. You can still keep your swtor sub and play and just switch between the two. I'm gonna be doing that myself.

Oh you're right there. They are allowing people to buy in game money. I saw the model for it, and recently had it totally forgotten. I don't want to play a game that is pay to win.

I did play GW for a while, but overall I did not stop playing whatever else was on the menu. It was a nice side dish.

It isnt pay to win. the pvp will be fairly balanced more than any other game.

How is it not pay to win when you can buy in game money with your credit card? Sure there are steps, buy crystals, then exchange them for the in game money. Then said people who buy this money can then just buy whatever they want out of the auction house or from other players/crafters. It is pay to win when you allow players the option to have as much in game money as possible at any given time.

Edited by monkgryphon

Oh you're right there. They are allowing people to buy in game money. I saw the model for it, and recently had it totally forgotten. I don't want to play a game that is pay to win.

I did play GW for a while, but overall I did not stop playing whatever else was on the menu. It was a nice side dish.

Pretty sure it's no pay to win bro. If it's like the GW cash shop it's just stuff like make up change, character name change, and other stuff like that. It was just vanity and that's it. Smart money is on that arenanet will do the same thing in GW2.

Pretty sure it's no pay to win bro. If it's like the GW cash shop it's just stuff like make up change, character name change, and other stuff like that. It was just vanity and that's it. Smart money is on that arenanet will do the same thing in GW2.

http://my.mmosite.com/1cd10251c16a43d090e2399862b464a2/blog/item/97fe1133345ab8db5b46388c211ef910.html

I've seen several other articles on this. Buy gems, trade them for gold.

the time between 1.2 and 1.3 will be alot shorter then 1.1 to 1.2. This is due the the fact that bioware have stated that there isnt going to be as much in 1.3. I know that sounds like *** but when you think about it the whole template of legacy etc was built into 1.2 and a new warzone.

With the pvp team off sorting out ranked we can guess that this wont impact anything in 1.3 as 1.3 would have been the start of the season so we can assume that the pvp team will just carry on sorting out for season start whilst fixing ranked for live.

So as 1.1 was what a month and 1.2 was 3 months from that i would say 1.3 is gonna be a at max a month an half away.

http://my.mmosite.com/1cd10251c16a43d090e2399862b464a2/blog/item/97fe1133345ab8db5b46388c211ef910.html

I've seen several other articles on this. Buy gems, trade them for gold.

Gold does not equal win. An actual pay to win game has things such as if you pay for this you will get a rune that restores you to full health when you drop below x% or something like that. Trading gems for gold doesn't mean it's pay to win. Not only that but you can trade in gold for gems as well. If it was pay to win the game devs wouldn't give you an option to get the pay for stuff without actually paying for it. It kinda defeats the pay to win part.

They wont only play it for 7 days trust me. and this game will die when GW2 Diablo3 firefall SW Terra come out

I never actually named a number of days and I don't know why I should trust someone I've never met when I've personally witnessed several friends, coworkers and some family members playing a game for hours and days on end, beating it and never picking it up again because they did everything.

Edited by Aeriese

Gold does not equal win. An actual pay to win game has things such as if you pay for this you will get a rune that restores you to full health when you drop below x% or something like that. Trading gems for gold doesn't mean it's pay to win. Not only that but you can trade in gold for gems as well. If it was pay to win the game devs wouldn't give you an option to get the pay for stuff without actually paying for it. It kinda defeats the pay to win part.

Did you even read the link? One of the items was a resurrection orb. Trading gems for gold allows a person to buy whatever outrageous price there is from the crafters or the auction house for the best items without actually investing any time into the game. That's pay to win. A guy reaching level cap and being able to buy the best of the best without actually doing the endgame content.

If something within a game allows you to purchase with real money for things that ingame cost game currency that is pay to win, there is no difference between that and buying game currency from gold sellers for real money.

Tera's forums are bursting with threads on how the game sucks, is fail, will be f2p in 6 months etc... etc...

and it's only in open beta this weekend :)

If something within a game allows you to purchase with real money for things that ingame cost game currency that is pay to win, there is no difference between that and buying game currency from gold sellers for real money.

I've seen otherwise. Sometimes that is the case and sometimes it isn't. It depends on the company.

Where did you get the idea that GW2 PvP would be "fairly balanced"? From everything I have read and watched the devs have said that there will be balance issues because of their ability system and there is not a lot they can do about it. I will also be playing GW2 and am looking forward to it (will still be playing ToR though) but if you think the PvP will be balanced better than a game like WoW or ToR (which actually has really good PvP balance, people just rage because they can't play)... then I see some sadness in your future.

breaking away from the classic mmo trinity of tanks, heals, and deeps

hahaha, the "classic" mmos had WAY more than 3 archetypical classes. god i miss good gaming

edit: 95% of mmo players have only played since companies starting dumbing **** down. and hey look gw2 is dumbing it down even further!

Edited by ApotheosisLanyx

Something like that. It's Aion minus the wings, a huge grind fest.

Slightly better than Aion because the combat is better, but yeah still a pretty big grind and has other major issues as well, no one at this stage still believes it is going to be any kinda of revolution.

Did you even read the link? One of the items was a resurrection orb. Trading gems for gold allows a person to buy whatever outrageous price there is from the crafters or the auction house for the best items without actually investing any time into the game. That's pay to win. A guy reaching level cap and being able to buy the best of the best without actually doing the endgame content.

Did read it and the rez orb is just a 1 time use that can't be used in pvp or world-vs-world. It's just for pve use and in that case it doesn't really give someone an advantage over anyone. Nothing in that cash shop gives anyone an advantage. Not even the xp boost seeing as how it is stupid easy to lvl in gw. Not only that if the end game gear is BoP, like how it is in just about every mmo ever, it wouldn't matter if people can buy a mess load of money. Not only that but you can buy gold in WoW as well. Does that make WoW a play to win as well?

EDIT: meant pay to win on that last sentence lol

Edited by ImTasty

Something like that. It's Aion minus the wings, a huge grind fest.

Ah Tera. It is a fine example of an mmo that so many people pinned their hopes and dreams on, proudly declaring that people would leave SWTOR in droves when it came out. I'll wager people on the WoW forums said the same thing.

Did read it and the rez orb is just a 1 time use that can't be used in pvp or world-vs-world. It's just for pve use and in that case it doesn't really give someone an advantage over anyone. Nothing in that cash shop gives anyone an advantage. Not even the xp boost seeing as how it is stupid easy to lvl in gw. Not only that if the end game gear is BoP, like how it is in just about every mmo ever, it wouldn't matter if people can buy a mess load of money. Not only that but you can buy gold in WoW as well. Does that make WoW a play to win as well?

I think you are getting a little emotionally hurt (just the way it looks when I read it), no matter how you spin it 'pay to win' is 'pay to win'. If the game allows you to buy things with real world money that give you an advantage (in any way) in game play over someone who does not pay, it is "pay to win" don't try to fight a definition because you will lose.

Using your example regardless of how fast it is to level if I pay I can do it faster therefor get to endgame faster and get gear faster therefor giving me an advantage over anyone who didn't pay. Also in regards to the res orb, what if it gets to the point where no PvE group will take you unless you have one? Those who pay have the advantage again. Stop trying to argue a moot point it it just makes you look like a 'fan boi' (errr I hate that word).

Edited by Jaymanus

I think you are getting a little emotionally hurt (just the way it looks when I read it), no matter how you spin it 'pay to win' is 'pay to win'. If the game allows you to buy things with real world money that give you an advantage (in any way) in game play over someone who does not pay, it is "pay to win" don't try to fight a definition because you will lose.

Using your example regardless of how fast it is to level if I pay I can do it faster therefor get to endgame faster and get gear faster therefor giving me an advantage over anyone who didn't pay. Also in regards to the res orb, what if it gets to the point where no PvE group will take you unless you have one? Those who pay have the advantage again. Stop trying to argue a moot point it it just makes you look like a 'fan boi' (errr I hate that word).

Lol not being a fan boy and not even emotionally hurt. Pay to win means whatever you are buying is giving you an advantage. Nothing there is giving you an advantage. The xp boost doesn't mean a thing depending on the person. If you have a hard core player not using against a casual player using xp boost I promise you the hardcore guy will hit max lvl weeks before the casual. If it is two hardcore players with one guy having xp boost then guy MIGHT beat the other guy by a couple of hours if that. If it gets to the point where no group will take someone unless they have a rez orb then all they have to do is trade in gold for the gems. Seeing as how gw throws as much gold at people as they do xp(which if you haven't played Nightfall or factions they throw a lot of xp and gold at you) it will be little to no effort to get the gold for the gem.

p.s Try not using the fan boy defense. It makes it seem like you actually have nothing to say and that you are just pulling at whatever string you can find :D

Just on the whole Pay to Win GW2 thing, the level cap Tier Gear can only be obtained through GW2's token system(forget the name of them) just like in SWTOR you get your best gear from a token system, these tokens can't be traded with other players at all, you have to earn them therefor you have to earn the gear.

So sum up, best gear comes from playing the game and earning it, you can't get any of it through the GEM system.

I'm not going to say GW2 is really going to hurt SWTOR, i'm not sure if it will, no one can really know this, both games are great and bad in their own way, quick examples would be, SWTOR no real Open World PVP, Guild Wars 2 no Raids, biggest instance group content is a standard dungeon sized group. To each their own. I Just wanted to educate on how getting "the good gear" works in GW2,

Edited by deags

Lol not being a fan boy and not even emotionally hurt. Pay to win means whatever you are buying is giving you an advantage. Nothing there is giving you an advantage. The xp boost doesn't mean a thing depending on the person. If you have a hard core player not using against a casual player using xp boost I promise you the hardcore guy will hit max lvl weeks before the casual. If it is two hardcore players with one guy having xp boost then guy MIGHT beat the other guy by a couple of hours if that. If it gets to the point where no group will take someone unless they have a rez orb then all they have to do is trade in gold for the gems. Seeing as how gw throws as much gold at people as they do xp(which if you haven't played Nightfall or factions they throw a lot of xp and gold at you) it will be little to no effort to get the gold for the gem.

p.s Try not using the fan boy defense. It makes it seem like you actually have nothing to say and that you are just pulling at whatever string you can find :D

That whole post is based on assumption. I was under the impression you already played GW2. "The xp boost doesn't mean thing depending on the person." already admitting that depending on the person it may or may not affect them adversely. So you are admitting that it could be detrimental for some.

Then you go on about the crutch that people will create in requiring res orbs. Yes, because we know how cheap it's going to be already. You're assuming that the price of gems for gold is low, but to me something like gems that allow you to buy certain account options would never be cheap. Otherwise you may as well just give them to everyone in the game without charging them gold.

This is going to be a brand new game from the beginning, not another "expansion" like Nightfall or Factions. The fan boy comment was a bit harsh, but it seems like you're putting a lot of effort into defending this game on the forums that are for another game.

SWTOR will be scratched by GW2, that is all. There will not be a mortal wound. TOR doesn't need 2 million players or more to thrive.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.