The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Tips and Builds for a new Vanguard?

Z-ToXiN

Hey. I just started a Vanguard and am just looking for some tips, builds, and advice to help me get into the class. So far I am loving how it plays, playing a ranged class makes it feel like a whole different game.

I plan to do both PVE and PVP. Im thinking of going tank, but Im also interested in how Vanguard DPS fares. And Ive started to read over Taugrim's guide and am looking at his "Ironfist" spec. Any other good builds I should consider? And what would the rotations be?

I am leveling my van assault, with the HIB and elemental damage buffs from the other trees in there for good measure. My survivability is way down, but its fun melting things. Once you get Elara to heal you up, dying isn't really an issue, and you progress much faster.

basically you want to put generally all your points into the shield spec tree, while putting some spare points in the tactics tree for the additional DPS so when your done it should look like..

Forget about the other one I showed you use the examples that the post below gave

Here's your straight tank spec:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801RMGrdoroGRZMsbZb.1

For more hybrid (take points from Defensive Measures and Neural Overload depending on your amount of pvp):

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#80...RboMZMsr0oZb.1

notice how I skipped a few in the sheild spec because they were useless as they only either worked for kinetics or they were just plain useless.. I put some point sin the tactics tree for the elemental and other type of damage buffs.

and the 3 main things you want to focus on our Endurance/ Defense/ Shield

and you wanna have this as crew skills

Biochem-Bio analysis- Diplomacy

the reason for this is because you WANT the Rakata fortitude stim.. and also any other endurance defense stims you can find.

being a tank isn't easy so the best companion to have would be Elara Dorne which you pick up on taris

During raids, boss batles, operations etc. you always wanna aggro the enemies and keep the threat on you so your group can mow them down..

A Tank is more focused on survivability then damage, so that's why putting those point sin the tactics tree are good so you can survive while mowing down the enemy

Being Vanguard Shield-tactics spec hybrid makes it a bit easy to solo..

hope this helps enjoy!

Edited by joshohelp

Vanguard pure tank spec, additional DPS

notice how I skipped a few in the sheild spec because they were useless as they only either worked for kinetics or they were just plain useless.. I put some point sin the tactics tree for the elemental and other type of damage buffs.

(snip)

This talent tree is out of date.

It's hard to come up with a tank spec that's going to perform well in pvp and pve AND output dps, so honestly it sounds more like you need to figure out whether you'd rather dps or tank. That said, if you're trying to hybrid it up with a focus on tanking, Gut and Frontline Offense are not optimal places to talent. As a primary shield spec you need to have Heavy Stock from the Assault tree. Everything you can do to increase Stockstrike's damage should be taken. Put the leftover point from Gut into Energy Blast in the shield tree. Now that it's off the GCD it's a pretty decent ability as it will increase your burst potential in pvp and helps generate aggro in pve, not to mention it's an ammo regen ability.

The problem with trying to have your cake and eat it too comes in here. As a pve tank you absolutely cannot skip Ion Shield. Flat 2% reduction to damage taken. Being viable in endgame pve content as a tank means you need those 5 points in tier 6 shield. If you're going to tank in pvp, you don't need those 5 and now you can go back and take Frontline Offense and Gut, along with the last two in Intimidation since you'll be getting back the point from Energy Blast.

For more hybrid (take points from Defensive Measures and Neural Overload depending on your amount of pvp):

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GRGrdRboMZMsr0oZb.1

Edited by Wallsie

Vanguard pure tank spec, additional DPS

(snip)

This talent tree is out of date.

It's hard to come up with a tank spec that's going to perform well in pvp and pve AND output dps, so honestly it sounds more like you need to figure out whether you'd rather dps or tank. That said, if you're trying to hybrid it up with a focus on tanking, Gut and Frontline Offense are not optimal places to talent. As a primary shield spec you need to have Heavy Stock from the Assault tree. Everything you can do to increase Stockstrike's damage should be taken. Put the leftover point from Gut into Energy Blast in the shield tree. Now that it's off the GCD it's a pretty decent ability as it will increase your burst potential in pvp and helps generate aggro in pve, not to mention it's an ammo regen ability.

The problem with trying to have your cake and eat it too comes in here. As a pve tank you absolutely cannot skip Ion Shield. Flat 2% reduction to damage taken. Being viable in endgame pve content as a tank means you need those 5 points in tier 6 shield. If you're going to tank in pvp, you don't need those 5 and now you can go back and take Frontline Offense and Gut, along with the last two in Intimidation since you'll be getting back the point from Energy Blast.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GRGrdRboMZMsr0oZb.1

wow the those specs much such a difference in tanking thanks!

Edited by joshohelp