The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

10/31/0 with Ion Cell

omarunaoe

Haven't really seen anyone talking about a similar set-up, but I've been trying it the past couple days and loving it. I was a deep Assault player up until the patch, but decided to try out something new.

Your damage is obviously less than Assault or someone running HEC, but the survivability boost is very noticeable, and the utility of Guard is just really hard to ignore.

For reference, here's the spec: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GorZrMrrobfkds.1

The damage is respectable, particularly when the stars align for PG on a node or clump of healers/ranged. Having Hold the Line in huttball is almost worth it in and of itself; guarding a fellow to the last stretch then running it in yourself immune to grapples and knockback wins games, since people jump into the pit expecting you to come with them.

Curious if anyone else has been having any success with this.

If I were to run a tactics build with Ion Cell, I would run it like this: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hRGbZMsrrobfkzc.1

Why max Rail Shot? The difference between it maxed and unmaxed without Assault Trooper is pretty negligible, and you can't hit the 90% armor pen anyway.

You really don't need to worry about heat, I've found, so Shield Cycler is pretty unnecessary.

Blaster Augs is virtually useless for Ion Cell. Virtually a must-have for the other cells, but, not so much for us tanks.

Missing out on 10 seconds off Cryo grenade and the 4% debuff on Ion Pulse is arguably not all that important, but Shock Absorbers is a godsend. 20% is a lot when you're already sitting at 50% mitigation/12% elemental mitigation (buffed).

I play the spec very opportunistically. You're always in the thick of things, and save for Pulse Cannon with 5 stacks, your ability to burn someone down from full health is pretty eh even with HEC. Keep targets guarded (I'm still getting the hang of guard swap), use your interrupts/cc to annoy healers and good people on the opposing team, use your scary AOE to keep pressure up, and go in for the Gut/Fire Pulse/Stockstrike/HiB kill on low targets when you see them.

I'm also reasonably certain this is the absolute best spec for Huttball, for a Vanguard/PT. Storm is outclassed by lightsaber classes, but Hold the Line is literally amazing. As long as my team is on the ball, I can consistently guard the ball carrier past the first fire trap, get the ball, then make it to the endzone unmolested while people try to pull and knockback like madmen.

Great build!

Since the patch I have also played around with MANY specs and have settled on this one:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GorZMsrrobfkds.1

This is VERY similar to yours with the exception of the two points in Cryo Grenade.

The blaster augs gives you the opportunity to go go High Energy cell max damage if you want too (PvE or just cuz) as well as I hammer shot a LOT as part of my play style, I want the Ion Cell to proc and do damage. I find that putting the snare on people is so nice, it works if you want to kite or if someone is kiting you; for me the added damage to Ion Cell is worth it.

For me the 10 seconds off cryo grenade is not worth the two points.

I don't think many people run this build, that is fine by me, they are missing out.

Edited by BigCheeseX

I virtually have the same spec as the OP. I am yet to parse it to perfection, as far as where the few flexible points go. But I'm happy with it. Wouldn't run anything else atm.

I've been calling the spec TicTacTank

I think your 8% to stockstrike is probably the right call with combat tech 4 piece; im switching over from eliminator, so it will be a while at war hero prices for me to see that as more valuable than the extra aim.

Incidentally, do you still play on jung ma? My vanguard there (Dakin) hit 50 not too long ago, so ive only heard of you heh.

you should name your spec. how about 'slippery sloth' or 'brass chicken'

I don't endorse the PT/Vanguard propensity for naming specs weird things. I secretly believe that's the sole reason that PPA/IA got nerfed:

Out of spite.