the term "early access" is a sham

gbburn

whether EA/Bioware state that game release date is the 20th, 13th, 27th it is an arbitrary date. I am amazed that people are so conformed that they feel if they can play the game at all prior to the mythical date of 12/20/11 that they are privileged.

It is only a sham if you can't comprehend the English language. Release date=Dec. 20th. Early access=period from Dec13th-20th. Therefore, it is earlier than the launch date.

Therefore it = early access.

If you have a brain tumor, a worm-like parasite, or much stamp licking experience that causes your brain to read the word early as meaning something else, than perhaps it is a conspiracy.

Otherwise, it is just "early access".

Hoax you say?

We'll lets see. The game does not get released to the general public till Dec 20. Players who Pre-ordered the game gets in early in whats known as early access.

Meaning you get into the game earlier than the general public.

Seeing as I got in this morning at 7:00 am, I'd say early access is the right words to use.

Not only has my expectations been met for the game so far but it's one hell of a fun game to boot.

You sir are nuts.

Don't be a noob, most people who will be playing SWTOR are early access. You do know the general public will have let totals than the early access.

Face it early access was a selling point. Now that they sold so many the idea of early access is a pipe dream. Nothing early about getting on a server 5 days later filled by more than 50

%. I don't call that early in any way shape or form. It's early only for those with low IQ who can't see the scam.

Edited by Dizkazk

The concept of early access is a complete hoax invented by gaming companies for the sole purpose to lower expectations of their consumers for the release of the game.

Nope.

The Early Access approach is only a marketing strategy. It was offered as an incentive to increase preorders and to buffer their server load for a smooth as possible launch.

To BioWare’s credit they are trying to have a smooth as possible launch as far as server stress is concerned. A staggered player entrance at launch is sensible. They could have approached the launch in two ways. They could have announced that the launch date was the 13th, but although everyone paid for the game, some would get to play before others, or they could go with their current “Early Access” plan; if they chose the former then the uproar on the forums would have been significant. The Early Access plan allows for a staggered entrance but is framed as a “bonus” for players, as opposed to the other method which would be perceived as punitive.

The promise less and provide more approach is smart marketing. EA should take a lesson for the future from BioWare as illustrated by EA’s decision to renege on the promised Grace Period plan.

Early access is a method to avoid long server queues and server crashes from server overloads.

This

If you're whining because you're afraid your names will be taken you should have pre-ordered in July with the rest of us

If you're whining because you have to wait you should probably find other things to do outside of gaming. They call it a 'life'

Nope.

The Early Access approach is only a marketing strategy. It was offered as an incentive to increase preorders and to buffer their server load for a smooth as possible launch.

To BioWare’s credit they are trying to have a smooth as possible launch as far as server stress is concerned. A staggered player entrance at launch is sensible. They could have approached the launch in two ways. They could have announced that the launch date was the 13th, but although everyone paid for the game, some would get to play before others, or they could go with their current “Early Access” plan; if they chose the former then the uproar on the forums would have been significant. The Early Access plan allows for a staggered entrance but is framed as a “bonus” for players, as opposed to the other method which would be perceived as punitive.

The promise less and provide more approach is smart marketing. EA should take a lesson for the future from BioWare as illustrated by EA’s decision to renege on the promised Grace Period plan.

i do agree with most of what you say, although I do not agree with "Nope." as it coincides with my point.

^this + it spreads load over the server infrastructure (1 world server is multiple computers, if everyone was at log in at the same time, imagine the wait time on the computer assigned that task? etc)

Everyone log in all at once...you mean exactly like whats going to happen as soon as the 20th hits? ...just saying

All I mean is that its actually a pretty poor excuse, there will ALWAYS be times during a MMO uptime when massive amounts of people will log in and very short times, so frankly in some ways having it happen during a "bonus" early access time to get prepared for future times, seems to me a bit of a smart idea.

By always will happen, I mean every time a server crashes, every time a patch requires downtime and comes back up etc etc...

Edited by isda

The way the early access was marketed is a legitimate gripe, I have to say.

You don't toy with dates and such, if you want to keep your players from going ballistic. Maybe Bioware doesn't care? I can't say. But the whole thing seems kind of shady.

Everyone log in all at once...you mean exactly like whats going to happen as soon as the 20th hits? ...just saying

By the 20th everyone that pre-ordered will have the drug in their system and won't be ravenous for a hit. It's safe to assume most of the more rabid fans pre-ordered, so by the 20th the pop will be more stable

i do agree with most of what you say, although I do not agree with "Nope." as it coincides with my point.

You are correct, that was too dismissive on my part. I'll just say that I don't think that would be a likely reason driving their marketing approach. ;)

The concept of early access is a complete hoax invented by gaming companies for the sole purpose to lower expectations of their consumers for the release of the game.

They will be something said legaly because in the original baiting of the pre entry they actualy said you would get 5 days of pre launch play and it did change to "may" get up to 5 days prelaunch play.

By the 20th everyone that pre-ordered will have the drug in their system and won't be ravenous for a hit. It's safe to assume most of the more rabid fans pre-ordered, so by the 20th the pop will be more stable

Nah if you want to use a drug reference, if its a drug, you use it 10 times, you don't want it less, you want MORE (not speaking from personal experience by the way, just common knowledge).

In short I can pretty much say with 100% certainty that once the servers go down to end the EGA and come back up, there will be over 1 million people logging back in, in the span of 1 minute.

I am quite happy about it even though I know I preordered late enough I won't get in until probably Saturday. Even if it isn't until Monday it is still earlier than the 20th.

I don't understand what the big deal with it is.

Edited by onstorm