Roots in this game and unbalanced PVP

Zanatic

This is an amazing game. The storytelling is incredible and the space combat is gravy.

The pvp system is just terrible.

Force Lightning has become the most exploited action in the game in matches, as it does dot while it roots you. It can also do burst damage. Coupled with the BH and Agent abilities you can literally hold down a person almost indefinitely. I didn't see any cooldown for root protection after a hold, but it might be there.

Take this with getting matched up with opposing players FIVE TO TEN LEVELS above you, theu are unstoppable. I heard that supposedly the system will equalize out HP, but I've never sen this in practice.

Ranged has a huge advantage over melee, as many attacks like force leap MISS a root almost all the time and some of the more advanced abilities take up to 5 seconds to complete. A person can just simply run away while you are still playing with your schwartz.

I really hope there are some big changes coming to PVP, as this is a very frustrating and one sided match.

its called strategy. you just cant expect to tank and spank in this game like the "other" one. you have to think about your skills and what/who your fighting. you know certin skills take longer to reload so use that skill first. get what im saying? Edited by Darth_Fu

its called strategy. you just cant expect to tank and spank in this game like the "other" one. you have to think about your skills and what/who your fighting. you know certin skills take longer to reload so use that skill first. get what im saying?

Unbalanced abilities don't count. Roots are the problem here, not playing Stratego.

In huttball the biggest problem is that some classes can use speed and jumps WHILE CARRYING THE BALL.

This is rediculous. Some jedi or sith can get the ball and jump all the way to the top ramp with it making the map and hazards pointless.

Meanwhile every other class has to run slowly around everything. Those classes just get too big of an advantage in that warzone.

I don't think enough people are max level with all the abilities at their disposal to make that statement valid.

I'm a level 24 imp agent and I have 3 get out of jail free abilities for being stunned and rooted in pvp.

I don't know what the other classes have but sith lightning in hutt ball has not killed me often unless I was swarmed. Which case its a moot point if I can get out a root or not its more a question can I take the damage incoming before I can.

In huttball the biggest problem is that some classes can use speed and jumps WHILE CARRYING THE BALL.

This is rediculous. Some jedi or sith can get the ball and jump all the way to the top ramp with it making the map and hazards pointless.

Meanwhile every other class has to run slowly around everything. Those classes just get too big of an advantage in that warzone.

All of this was possible in WSG with the flag.....

its called strategy. you just cant expect to tank and spank in this game like the "other" one. you have to think about your skills and what/who your fighting. you know certin skills take longer to reload so use that skill first. get what im saying?

I suppose it comes down to resolve and leveling. From what I've seen a lot of classes have CC mitigating abilities in their talents but they are only available at higher levels. Powertechs get Hydraulic Overrides in their Adv Prototype tree and several movement increasing talents in both shield tech and firebug. Both the Sith Juggernaut and Sith Marauder get movement increases and CC mitigation in their trees, assassins get Force Shroud in their mid thirties and I could go on.

We'll have to see how it works out at max level since many classes get their CC skills early but their CC mitigating abilities and movement increases at higher levels and thus the CC to CC mitigation ratio of abilities is unbalanced from the start until mid - high level.

I am seeing certain issues, such as central abilities to certain specs having an auto-cc component, but we have to see how that balances out with a full toolbox of abilities and a completed talent spec.

If you have 3 people dumping all their abilities on you, why would you think you should live? That is a 3v1 guy. Also, I have little issue in PvP as a Juggernaut so either Juggernaut is OP or you are UP. If you need any suggestions feel free to ask and I can throw you some information on how to deal with said issues.

I don't think enough people are max level with all the abilities at their disposal to make that statement valid.

I'm a level 24 imp agent and I have 3 get out of jail free abilities for being stunned and rooted in pvp.

I don't know what the other classes have but sith lightning in hutt ball has not killed me often unless I was swarmed. Which case its a moot point if I can get out a root or not its more a question can I take the damage incoming before I can.

I agree with that. It is a bit early. but the lower levels don't offer much fun if it is unbalanced.

I would love those abilities. As a Jedi Sentinel, I only roll 50& to get out of effects. However, this doesn't become available until around 30. :(

Im having a hard time making out anything in pvp atm, because for some reason there hasnt been a single warzone I played without heavy lag, AFAIK all warzones have been like that aswell :/

am curious, since im a Sage myself, and I have no CC ability that lasts more than 4 seconds (and that is on a 1m cd) and doesnt break on dmg, wasnt inquisitor a mirror class? how can they root/stun a target that is being damaged? oO

Edited by Ganan

I agree with that. It is a bit early. but the lower levels don't offer much fun if it is unbalanced.

I would love those abilities. As a Jedi Sentinel, I only roll 50& to get out of effects. However, this doesn't become available until around 30. :(

PvP is always balanced around max level. The only balancing they can do at low levels is start a bracket system, but the game is too new to implement a level bracket system. If they instituted a bracket system now, PvP queues would take forever and teams would be too small in some cases.

Give it time, stay the course.

Most classes, more specifically MDPS have a "break free" type of ability for exactly that reason, to unroot yourself and bang on the opponent. Not saying the PvP isn't flawed but there is a solution to that problem

Well the OP is saying root but they mean slow, and you can't break free of it as it reapply every tick. Not saying it imbalanced though, as the caster of the slow is effectively rooted while their target is slowed.

And so the complaining about cool abilities begins..

Bad players need to realize they're aren't good and work on getting better. Let's just hope SWTOR devs don't cave to the QQ and ruin the unique aspects of all classes and homogenize everything like WoW did.

If you have 3 people dumping all their abilities on you, why would you think you should live? That is a 3v1 guy. Also, I have little issue in PvP as a Juggernaut so either Juggernaut is OP or you are UP. If you need any suggestions feel free to ask and I can throw you some information on how to deal with said issues.

QFT. The heroic feeling of mowing down foes only happens when PvEing against trash.

Well the OP is saying root but they mean slow, and you can't break free of it as it reapply every tick. Not saying it imbalanced though, as the caster of the slow is effectively rooted while their target is slowed.

Ah okay that makes more sense. Well i figure they will work out the kinks with due time, the game isn't even official yet lol. Just wait until around Summer 2012 i bet there will be no complaints just anxiousness for expansions ;)