1.2 What are we good for?

Desist

Harpoon is mainly only useful for killing peeps in traps, which fails often enough and catching runners, which imo isn't very important.

Harpoon is a tactical tool that works as advertised. "target is moved" it's up to you and your team to make the most of it. Pull people into an active orbital strike, works just like the fire pit. Pull ranged off perches into your melee train. Harpoon is an extremely powerful tool for isolating targets, putting them off balance, and causing chaos. Fire pits are obvious.

Harpoon is a tactical tool that works as advertised. "target is moved" it's up to you and your team to make the most of it. Pull people into an active orbital strike, works just like the fire pit. Pull ranged off perches into your melee train. Harpoon is an extremely powerful tool for isolating targets, putting them off balance, and causing chaos. Fire pits are obvious.

I'd say harpoon is useful for putting people in aoe's. As far as isolating targets go.... You have to walk, slowly, away from the fighting to the place you want to pull them. The guardian's force push is way better for that.

I'd say harpoon is useful for putting people in aoe's. As far as isolating targets go.... You have to walk, slowly, away from the fighting to the place you want to pull them. The guardian's force push is way better for that.

When you don't start the fight with storm, you don't have to walk away from the fray.

Try this at home: IR, AP, (insert DPS cooldowns here), Full Auto, HIB, Harpoon, SS, HIB.

I've started doing something different in Huttball with harpoon. Well, different for me anyway. I'm running tactics now and it's really just made me think outside the box from when I played assault.

When we are on defense trying to burn down their ballcarrier I seperate from the group and follow them on a catwalk, either on a diff level or with a fire in between myself and the melee blender. When the ballcarrier gets to the last fire and is around 30% or so (this happens often near the last fire) I toss sticky, harpoon, fire pulse, stock strike. Sometimes another ion pulse or two to finish him. Take the ball, pop HtL and hightail out of there while everyone is sitting by the last fire looking confused.

Assault would have more success popping the ballcarrier consistently, but less chance of escaping cleanly with the ball. Still good trick for both dps specs.

Taugrims guide is pre 1.2. Things have changed. 3k stock strikes happen once in a blue moon. (que all the uberl33ts claiming they do it all the time and more...) and survivability has gone out of the window with the massive increase in gear stats. Shields are practically useless because of the type of damage the enemy does and defense has wrecked in favour of absorbtion, which is usless because its part of the shield process.

The IF spec doesn't use a shield because of its ability to absorb damage. The IF build uses a shield because of the shield cycler talent that refunds ammo when an attack is shielded.

Though I kind of agree with the earlier poster who said it doesn't do to defend your class. If everyone played it well, it would just end up nerfed. Lol.

Question. How does the IF spec hold up in a PVE environment? I ask because I would love to play this spec but because I am one of the few DPS in our guild I need to be able to pump out dps in raids and such. I am a tactics spec right now and that does pretty well in both arenas.

I'm not much of a PVEer, but I did KP the other day with my IF build, it was pre 1.2 iirc, and I did fine as an offtank in champion pvp gear. Don't run IF if you're looking to dps in PVE. It has a little better damage than full shield, but it doesn't set the world on fire. Taugrim has some videos of him running some PVE stuff, but I think he was the main tank in those.

The IF spec doesn't use a shield because of its ability to absorb damage. The IF build uses a shield because of the shield cycler talent that refunds ammo when an attack is shielded.

Though I kind of agree with the earlier poster who said it doesn't do to defend your class. If everyone played it well, it would just end up nerfed. Lol.

you are right. but a tip: there is in the tactics tree a talent that actually works better to improve your ammo management than cycler does ;)

you are right. but a tip: there is in the tactics tree a talent that actually works better to improve your ammo management than cycler does ;)

I wasn't debating the usefulness of the talent. I was responding to a specific statement about the usefulness, or lack thereof, to carrying a shield when runnin an IF build. Not whether tactics is better than IF.

I wasn't debating the usefulness of the talent. I was responding to a specific statement about the usefulness, or lack thereof, to carrying a shield when runnin an IF build. Not whether tactics is better than IF.

sure. i think you misunderstood me slightly. i agree with your statement. i just wanted to add seomething slightly offtopic. my if-variation i use does not uses a shield (usually) and doesn't have any points in cycler.

but as i said, you are right about the reason this is done in the "classical" IF or most of its variations.