Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Remove the rakghoul plague now

I already do PvE operations, flashpoints and space combat. I'm not opposed to doing PvP either but I just usually do not for gear reasons. It wouldn't bother me at all.

Regarding explosions flagging for PvP - use an immunity stim. If you are not PvP'ing, they are a 6 hour opt-out switch.

If you want to keep PvPing on a PvP server, do you have to buy an item that keeps your flag toggled? No. So why should we have to buy and use an item to keep from PvPing on a PvE server?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh oh, am I about to look really stupid here? Is that tool-tip on the vaccine or the "fever" that results from a rat gnawing on you? If it's the former, I'm an idiot. But thanks for the reply!

On the rat that carries the fever

Thank you yet again.

I think the debuff you get says "Infected with Womp Rat Fever, an often fatal infection of the skin propgated by the bite of womp rats. Health regeneration reduced 50%. Fatal if untreated."

So you would not mind being forced to do something in the game even if you do not want to? Ok, interesting... You would not mind if you are in an operation, and suddenly someone can force you into crafting 10 stims or something...

It should not be forced on people. There is a big difference between opting in and opting out. People should opt-in for the event, they should not have to opt-out. Just because there is an "opt-out" option from spam, does not make it ok to send you 1,000,000 emails before you can opt-out...

Again, there is no 'forced' going on here.

No one is going to explode on your while you are out questing and moving around.

Plus, like the announcers on Fleet warn - if you don't want to be infected, stay on your ship. While that seems to be odd advice to give, there is some truth to it. There is a pandemic inside the game world. For the pandemic to be "effective", it must be dangerous. Bioware did a good job at making it dangerously contagious. The actual infection is almost completely harmless - let's face it, 2 or 3 stuns and a no-penalty death. Whoopdedoo.

Now obviously, I'm going to agree that the stims should persist through death AND it should not be auto-flagging anyone for PvP (even blowing up near a flagged opposing faction member). That said, it ends in 4 days. Seriously. It's not a big enough deal to warrant a 300+ page thread series.

If you want to keep PvPing on a PvP server, do you have to buy an item that keeps your flag toggled? No. So why should we have to buy and use an item to keep from PvPing on a PvE server?

You are not buying an item that keeps you from PvP'ing. You are buying an opt-out to prevent you from acquiring the very minor inconveniences that do exist with this almost harmless and benign version of the Rakghoul plague that affects players.

If you are questing, there's no reason to be dying (assuming you are not trying to do overly challenging things). Since the risk of death is very low for story/side mission questing, the chance to have that stim active for 6 hours is high.

No one is going to explode on your while you are out questing and moving around.

Plus, like the announcers on Fleet warn - if you don't want to be infected, stay on your ship. While that seems to be odd advice to give, there is some truth to it. There is a pandemic inside the game world. For the pandemic to be "effective", it must be dangerous. Bioware did a good job at making it dangerously contagious. The actual infection is almost completely harmless - let's face it, 2 or 3 stuns and a no-penalty death. Whoopdedoo.

Now obviously, I'm going to agree that the stims should persist through death AND it should not be auto-flagging anyone for PvP (even blowing up near a flagged opposing faction member). That said, it ends in 4 days. Seriously. It's not a big enough deal to warrant a 300+ page thread series.

It is for me, as this is only the first Event, and I am not big into re-runs.

I agree, it's not going to kill anyone, this is a timed event so it will blow over. It's just something that BW should keep in mind when designing future events.

Edited by Raximillian

I think the debuff you get says "Infected with Womp Rat Fever, an often fatal infection of the skin propgated by the bite of womp rats. Health regeneration reduced 50%. Fatal if untreated."

I know when I got it doing the codex entry, I didn't cure it. I wanted to see what happened.

I don't remember just how long my Trooper had it on but it did nothing to me. I eventually lost it when I died to some other cause later.

I know when I got it doing the codex entry, I didn't cure it. I wanted to see what happened.

I don't remember just how long my Trooper had it on but it did nothing to me. I eventually lost it when I died to some other cause later.

Hmmm... have a look here: http://www.torhead.com/ability/31rEO5J/womp-rat-fever

Expand the link that says: Effect details.. if you look at the code it certainly should kill you in the end, but I wouldn't be suprised if they changed it :)

You are not buying an item that keeps you from PvP'ing. You are buying an opt-out to prevent you from acquiring the very minor inconveniences that do exist with this almost harmless and benign version of the Rakghoul plague that affects players.

I want the plague. However, if someone who has it blows up on me, and they are flagged for PvP, then I am now also flagged for PvP. I would be using a vaccine to keep myself from PvPing on a PvE server unwillingly. If they change that one tiny thing about the plague's transferrence, then I'm in 100% agreement with you. Until then though, being sneezed on by Tyson should NOT force you to go twelve rounds in a ring with him, simply because he sneezed on you.

I don't think you can unless you're already flagged for PvP...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Unless the player he wants to move is flagged, he can't, and yes that would be considered an attack. (and would flag him in return)

Edited by Lundli

Q: If someone is about to infect you, and you use an ability to move them away, is that PvP?

You can't use abilities like that on friendly players.

You must be involved in PvP with an enemy of some sort to use knock backs.

For the most part on this Topic; stayed right here. I also mentioned my concerns of Griefing on the Official Sticky Thread, but have avoided posting on Griefing much on Player made threads.

As mentioned, this is a complaint thread, and while I do not know what the others will do, I have no plans to stop simply because those that do not like dissent wish to silence me. If you wish to avoid me, try those threads; as for me, staying put.

Be well!

I am well, thanks. I hope you are, too.

I have no wish to silence you, only to find mutual definitions of terms used. It's impossible to have a meaningful discussion when one person insists on using terms in ways that nobody else does. When you say you're being "griefed", a lot of people disagree, and some grow angry, because from our point of view, that word doesn't apply here. Your insistent use of that word is intended to throw a negative light on an event that a lot of people, perhaps most, perhaps nearly all, are enjoying. It's fine to dislike something that others like, but it's not fine to misrepresent that thing, to strengthen your arguments.

So at this point I really just have one question: are you now, or have you ever been, a politician? :)

Edited by Aloro

Ah yes, not in Rift anymore where you wouldn't be able to do it at all unless you un-ticked the "no PvP" option.

That was a nice feature altough somewhat.. unreliable, got me flagged sometimes anyway :)

Edited by Lundli

My wife and I are avoiding fleet like the plague as well as home worlds because infected people are there as well trying to spread the infection. We could not even play last night after being chased around Anchorhead by people trying to affect us. This event is having literally the opposite effect for us that you are describing.

Last night I was on the fleet, infecting and being infected, and a friend logged on. He didn't want to take part in the event. So I vaccinated that char and we went and quested.

I've said many times that I think the vaccines should be free. I also think they ought to persist through death. But having said all of that, honestly, why didn't you just buy a vaccine for 2k credits? That allows 6 hours of event-free play. You can stand on the fleet in the middle of the infected pack and nothing will happen to you. If you'd otherwise play, but simply don't want to take part in the event, there is a way to opt out. It could use improving but it's there.

People who claim that they can't avoid it are lying. Plain and simple. They are lying/trolling and been doing it for 300 or so pages now.

No. I had two chars infected before I could react, both when logging in at a mailbox. That's where they'd logged out before the event.

Note that I didn't mind being infected, and enjoy the event. But still, it is absolutely true that people can be and are infected without having a chance to avoid it.

Oh boy! Thankfully it never bugged out on me. I wonder if that's still an issue. I was going to spend this week Rifting but something came up....damn plague. :D

Hehe, there's some NPCs that you can attack anyway that will flag you, and I've had it happening when healing in zone events. Haven't really played since TOR came out so things may have changed :)

Hmmm... have a look here: http://www.torhead.com/ability/31rEO5J/womp-rat-fever

Expand the link that says: Effect details.. if you look at the code it certainly should kill you in the end, but I wouldn't be suprised if they changed it :)

I wouldn't be surprised either. There is a lot of documentation and things that need updated. As an example, there are many codex entries that are either available for specific classes, yet still show up in all classes codex's or simply have been removed from the game but not from the codex counters.

Hehe, there's some NPCs that you can attack anyway that will flag you, and I've had it happening when healing in zone events. Haven't really played since TOR came out so things may have changed :)

Now that you mention it, I do recall something about that. Nor have I...I got dragged over here on 27 December and aside from DLing the patches, haven't been back.