The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Shieldtech DPS vs Defense PvP gear

Gaizek

I have been having a lot of fun playing powertech as the iron fist spec. I felt really tough and like I could dish out a decent amount of damage.

When 1.2 came out I changed to full shieldtech and capped out on comms in the 1-49 WZ. I bought the full recruit set except for the blaster. I bought the BM eliminator blaster.

I have only played a couple of games in the 50 bracket, but it seems like I am instantly getting gibbed. I'm wondering if this is just having lower relative gear or if I should get the defense set instead of dps set now.

Before I spend all the time to get full BM, I would like to hear some thoughts on which set to get.

Thanks.

I'm using full BM Combat Tech and a I know another PT that uses full BM Supercommando.

I'm using Iron Fist and he is using Full shield, I can assure you that I almost last just as long as him while being focused.

Since 1.2 everyone is getting hit harder due to BM easier to get and the rework of expertise. I know a huge difference pre 1.2 . I die more quickly now than before. Pt's do not have the great defensive cooldowns like the other classes.

I'm finding myself as Iron Fist spec. I don't fit any where in the middle now, unless if I have a dedicated healer. I don't feel like a hybrid anymore.

I have been having a lot of fun playing powertech as the iron fist spec. I felt really tough and like I could dish out a decent amount of damage.

When 1.2 came out I changed to full shieldtech and capped out on comms in the 1-49 WZ. I bought the full recruit set except for the blaster. I bought the BM eliminator blaster.

I have only played a couple of games in the 50 bracket, but it seems like I am instantly getting gibbed. I'm wondering if this is just having lower relative gear or if I should get the defense set instead of dps set now.

Before I spend all the time to get full BM, I would like to hear some thoughts on which set to get.

Thanks.

The major difference you are seeing, has nothing to do with spec or having dps gear vs defensive gear. It has to do with Expertise being changed in 1.2

The major difference you are seeing, has nothing to do with spec or having dps gear vs defensive gear. It has to do with Expertise being changed in 1.2

True, but survivability is still better in super commando gear.

OP your choices are basically 30% damage reduction in DPS gear, or 50% damage reduction in the super commando gear. I had both champion sets, the difference in survivability IS noticeable. I opted for super commando BM set because I always run tank specs.

Just to add to this, I tried out this weekend to PvP with rakata gear (Full ST spec) and to my surprise I was quite durable!!!!

The buff to expertise came mainly to damage. I believe this is the reason why to my surprise I was extremely durable!!!!

The decision comes down to +8k hp vs 10% damage reduction.

Survivability wise from a solo point of view PvE tank Gear is vastly superior! Now add to it that snipers couldn't hit me! I am serious! the same sniper that 3-shotted me in Pyro spec Full BM, could not get me below 70% hp in Rakata Tank gear, + mercs now use their pistols (AKA shield-able damage).

I'm starting to feel that defensive stats are hugely under-rated. Well granted in my server there isn't THAT many sorcs which I can see the main source of problems here.

Oh and one wierd thing.... I seemed to have shielded a smash from a rage spec jugg... I thought that wasn't possible :s Bug?

Edited by Assaultrooper

Just to add to this, I tried out this weekend to PvP with rakata gear (Full ST spec) and to my surprise I was quite durable!!!!

The buff to expertise came mainly to damage. I believe this is the reason why to my surprise I was extremely durable!!!!

The decision comes down to +8k hp vs 10% damage reduction.

Survivability wise from a solo point of view PvE tank Gear is vastly superior! Now add to it that snipers couldn't hit me! I am serious! the same sniper that 3-shotted me in Pyro spec Full BM, could not get me below 70% hp in Rakata Tank gear, + mercs now use their pistols (AKA shield-able damage).

I'm starting to feel that defensive stats are hugely under-rated. Well granted in my server there isn't THAT many sorcs which I can see the main source of problems here.

Oh and one wierd thing.... I seemed to have shielded a smash from a rage spec jugg... I thought that wasn't possible :s Bug?

+8K hp vs 10% damage reduction...where are you getting these numbers?

In my full rakata (minus earpiece) + stim, I have about 22.5k health.

In my 4 piece BM Combat Tech, BM Eliminators Earpiece, Belt, and Mainhand + BM Implants, Shield, Bracers, and 1 piece BM Supercommando + Stim, I have about 19k health.

Sure, I'm not full Combat Tech, but imo Ironfist was never meant to be. Even if it was, I don't see 13k health players running around the WZ unless they're some fresh 50 who doesn't even have respectable PvE gear on.

As for not being hit by Snipers, it must have been a Marksman sniper. Go up against a lethality sniper/op and see if you feel the same way.