Helping new player with ati 5850 problem

Devilhanzou

So I currently run the game with a 4850x2 maxed out, and also with the radeonPro installed for the extra shiny textures :) I have been trying to help my friend who has an Ati 5850 achieve this simple thing. I have tried uninstallling all drivers, installing diffrent software but for some reason nothing works to give him this simple thing. Any ideas? Is ther alot of known problems with this game and the 5850 oir anything? Thanks in advance for your replies

I started out with an older copy of catalyst control center that wouldn't start so I was having to close it before the game ever time. Everything worked great. But you know...go update blah blah blah. So I did.

New Catalyst Control center...I get walls of pretty lines. So I rolled it back. Now it's fine with the one that won't start. For some reason the catalyst control center was borking my game. Without it it's great, plus the new drive stays installed.

That's about all I can tell you. Same card. Ati 5850 (Radeon)

So I currently run the game with a 4850x2 maxed out, and also with the radeonPro installed for the extra shiny textures :) I have been trying to help my friend who has an Ati 5850 achieve this simple thing. I have tried uninstallling all drivers, installing diffrent software but for some reason nothing works to give him this simple thing. Any ideas? Is ther alot of known problems with this game and the 5850 oir anything? Thanks in advance for your replies

You might want to consider some basic steps to help your friend.

1. Use Driver Sweeper (in safe mode) to clean out all AMD drivers.

2. Install the latest AMD drivers. Catalyst 12.3 are the most recent official drivers at present.

3. Run both the launcher and swtor.exe in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode if you're using Vista or Windows 7.

4. Ensure that anti aliasing is OFF in game. You can force it on in the latest drivers and achieve very good-looking results with >= 2xAA and morphological anti aliasing (MLAA).

5. If still struggling, turn off advanced features like bloom and depth of field. At a push, remove shadows.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Edited by llesna