Cross-Server DF Tool - Kills community?

Regnor

That's the argument against it. But as I travel across the world I see less and less community to kill. I have always agreed that a DF tool has a definite impact on the community, but it's becoming apparent that diminishing subs is having a greater impact. Either that or they're all playing D3 beta (which makes me shudder to think what will happen to the community post May 15).

Anyway, I think the argument against a DF tool needs to be reconsidered in light of the thinning population. I went to Coruscant to trade in some legacy rewards expecting to see it bustling with new players or at least new alts. It's a ghosttown. From a dev standpoint, which is better, consolidating servers or adding a DF tool?

I don't know, maybe it won't make a difference after 5-15. I'd like to try it and find out before giving up.

You only need 2 players to run a flashpoint.

If you can't rustle up 4 players to run a "hard mode" then you don't deserve to do a "hard" mode.

which server do you play on?

anyways, i can see the logic behind hesitance for a group finder to preserve community, but is spamming general with whatever mission you're on really building community? hard to say.

There's obviously some variance between the different server populations. But I'm guessing that my experience isn't unique and that more than a few of the servers are experiencing diminishing populations.

I'm also guessing that with a cross-server DF tool you'd have a lot more people playing FPs who don't want to play with players they might have to see again, to be perfectly honest. Not because they suck or because they're griefers, but because they want to experience new content without having to deal with the kind of player who responded in this thread that "if you can't rustle up 4 players to do a hard mode then you don't deserve to do a hard mode".

Edited by Regnor

That's the argument against it. But as I travel across the world I see less and less community to kill. I have always agreed that a DF tool has a definite impact on the community, but it's becoming apparent that diminishing subs is having a greater impact. Either that or they're all playing D3 beta (which makes me shudder to think what will happen to the community post May 15).

Anyway, I think the argument against a DF tool needs to be reconsidered in light of the thinning population. I went to Coruscant to trade in some legacy rewards expecting to see it bustling with new players or at least new alts. It's a ghosttown. From a dev standpoint, which is better, consolidating servers or adding a DF tool?

I don't know, maybe it won't make a difference after 5-15. I'd like to try it and find out before giving up.

While I am firmly against a cross-server dungeon finder tool when a server population is in a good place.. when it is not however, I think it's fine. I believe I said it in another post.. something like that should be implemented when a game is on it's dying breath and there aren't enough people to do anything.

Having something like that at launch is extremely harmful to the game in the long run. It promotes zero community. And that's what this game and most others are lacking at this point. That's why their life spans become shorter and shorter

Edited by Noctis_XZ

My server pop has been suffering for a bit now. The 50 community is growing at a steady rate, but the originals are ensconced in a very thoroughly established raiding group (the only running raiding group on the imp side atm). Add on to this we've had severe healer drain with all the healing nerfs driving away FOTM players, and all serious healers I know have transferred to servers where they get better access to content, and you can see a portrait where cross server DF would be helpful.

uhm... have you seen the servers recently? there are 2 or 3 heavy severs in US and EU, rest is light.

There is no community to kill anymore.

Your Guild is your community. If a tool manages to ruin it, than it probably wasn't much of a Guild.

Actually, I consider my server to be my community, but, then, I'm just awesome like that, I suppose.