Who's actually playing X/X/31 Madness?

Kiyoma

Hey guys. I was playing the CL/DF hybrid with the variation of 5/18/18. The other Sorc and I (Remedy) that I play with found that to be the most effective with high end gear. The control and personal defensive cooldowns/procs were pretty much the best.

With the oncoming of patch 1.2 I switched to 3/7/31. It took me a little while to get used to it (half a day honestly, I was performing fine in the first warzone. by the end of the afternoon I was very comfortable), but overall I'm enjoying it greatly. I have to use more positioning and control of my wrath procs and I'm not finding myself lacking in damage. No, I was not putting up the 700k+ voidstars anymore, 600ks in huttballs, etc. My burst was slightly lower - but my killing blows were up, my deaths were down, and my team was still super happy with my play and performance. I found my 1v#s ability increased, and I was just plain enjoying Sorc more because it was well...harder. I tried Madness once with subpar gear ages ago, and never looked back once I went hybrid. Ending 1.2, I was consistently playing Madness and liked it more.

Now, we're in 1.2. My damage is nasty. I did a 610k Voidstar yesterday, among many other high damage games (trust me, I contribute to objectives. big damage =! not playing the warzone, as much as big damage =! skill. these are just reference numbers, honestly.) The wrath dot increase is awesome, it makes a huge difference. I feel squishier, yes. My dots dont last quite as long so due to people dying so quickly, so in pug vs pug, or high kill games I'm finding myself running out of Force easier due to lack of consumptions that become viable with dot crits. But like I said, my control is awesome given it hasn't changed, and my damage is up. Most other classes are pretty much "nerfed", and healers are definitely more hindered. The impact of my dots are greater - there just isn't as much healing to soak up the spread pressure on teams. I'm easily getting 10+ medals a game, easily breaking 300 if not 400 in shorter games. I had a 500+ 61-21-3-1 game (kills/dbs/solos/deaths) yesterday as well, along with the most objective points in game by a good margin.

I personally do not feel broken. My Sorc is still an animal. I do understand that most players do not want a dot style gameplay for the Sorc though, and the Lightning tree is pretty much laughable. But for those of you that are worried, if you really want to do well on a Sorc this spec still exists, along with a few choice others. I will be going into rateds, and I do expect to be a big impact on the game. I am a long time MMO pvper, making Duelist in Seasons 1 and 2 of WoW (I should of had Glad S1, one of those stories. but really.), excelling in Warhammer (played on Praag/Badlands), and I hit 2500+ on both characters I made in returning to WoW on the first seasons I made them. I view myself as a capable pvper in MMOs - and from a capable pvper, 31 point Madness is a force to be reckoned with in 1.2 in the hands of a properly geared and skilled player.

Notice: I know that many know this about madness already. I just know there's tons of players that are anti-Madness, and are really at a loss with what to do with their Sorcs. Every Sorc that is respected that I play with and talk to regularly has pretty much become okay with madness - the #1 gripe being force management. That is an issue currently, but hopefully we can learn to work with it. The 4 pc Mystic set helps a lot, and constantly consuming at 100% to keep yourself regenning through dots and death field makes a big difference. It does require more proper positioning though, given the health deficit it incurs. I hope to have videos available in the near future (if I continue playing) to highlight Sorc play. Not big damage, but actual use of abilities. We are capable of a lot, especially if rotated properly with teammates. Cheers.

-Kiyo

Edited by Kiyoma

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. was rocking hybrid up untill the patch, and switched to madness as soon as it hit. aside from trying to mash my CL every once in a while there isnt that much of a playstyle change. still doing nice dmg just in a slightly differant way.

Here! But I am not the MMO droid with all the numbers you may be looking for.....

I simply notice that my PvE build went from challenging to very challenging post-patch, and while the Sorcerer may have gotten nerfed, the droids, tanks, and mutants I face at 50th did not get the same memo. And I already was tired of long treks from Med Centers back to Green Mission sites having to dodge or repeatedly kill the same guards met earlier. Now the robes are bit more ragged and patched, and the trips occur more frequently.

Being penalized for something occuring in PvP seems a bit off; simply hope I can make it thru end game without having to Respec again.

I was running a heavy madness build before the 1.2 patch dropped, on a rp-pvp server. By the time i hit 50, i was already rank 43 valor, and about 3 planets behind story wise. I spent most of my time in pvp, where I earned 6 medals consistantly, sat in the top 3 in dps and heals every round practically...

I notice a difference in my own survivability some while i had to adjust to the changes/nerf, but i also noticed the healers who would take what i threw at them and laugh it off melting under the dots i blasted them with.

If I have to be nerfed to 1v1 healers that easily, i welcome the nerf...

Before 1.2 i was rocking (0/13/28) using full advantage of D/Field and Wrath(combined with CL and CD) Instant CC was also a bonus when needed, aswell as the proc.pushback.

Now i find myself at a bit of a loss, Hybred was always the thing for me, i never liked to channel any abilities into any sort of healing bonuses, i believed they were best spent DD, and a great healer would compensate.

The best build for my gameplay so far is this http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201ZfcbMdRMZcrcRsMk.1 At least i still have death mark, and CL

But i'm sure it will get ripped.

Just as an observation on the spec you posted - I would take the 3 points out of convection and move them into the 3% crit talent in "Seeping Darkness." You'd get 3% crit across the board instead of 6% damage on one of your weakest overall DPS abilities, even though the frequency is up. 3% more crit to DF, Lightning, and CL, plus dots.

I switched to http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201hZf00MZcRbRsrkrfz.1 4 weeks ago and didn't regret it.

creeping terror is the key skill against our biggest enemy, the melee. with the 99% divine shield gone I'm finally able to stand a fair chance against skilled maras/sents in a 1v1 situation.

but I really wish the spec won't rely so much on channeling force lightning. instead I'd like to see our dots dealing a lot more damage.

// the only problem I've got with this spec is that I run oof pretty fast, maybe too fast. adjusting the force cost of DF/dots a bit might be a step in the right direction.

Edited by Rikeryo

I switched to http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201hZf00MZcRbRsrkrfz.1 4 weeks ago and didn't regret it.

creeping terror is the key skill against our biggest enemy, the melee. with the 99% divine shield gone I'm finally able to stand a fair chance against skilled maras/sents in a 1v1 situation.

but I really wish the spec won't rely so much on channeling force lightning. instead I'd like to see our dots dealing a lot more damage.

agreed. I'd love to see our dots more..powerful? maybe tone lightning down to compensate. it'd be lovely if creeping terror was a 9s dot, as well. with the same damage. if it was a longer CD that'd be too crazy with the root, and the root is pretty much essential.

ok so your getting 600 to 700k dmg in WZs, thats great

BUT! wat does all this dmg really mean? are you actually changing wat is going on in the match in some significant way, like actually eliminating an opponent?

with madness spec, the reason why the DPS is so high is due to the DOT attacks spreading out over the enemy team,

for ex. affliction lasts 15s, in that time frame i can spam 4 afflictions with coulpe of creeping terrors on the way so my dmg stacks up like crazy, but is it really killing off my enemies?!!?

NO!! it only just annoys the other team at best

just becuz u managed to have ur DOT attacks spread out over the enemy team doesnt mean ur winning the game, you need burst attacks to actually make a diffrence in pvp since the more instantaneous ur attacks are, the better you are of an asset to the team

but u may argue that creeping terror stops maras/senitels from jumping on your fellow teammates, who cares, the mara is still alive and can still kill your teammate while you sit in the back trying to DOT kill the mara,

Good luck with DOTting ur enemies to death, if that is possible, PVP is all about instantenous abilites, not slow annoyances that the madness tree is about

I was using a 3/31/7 build last night, to see how well it did in the new content. I think I may try out 3/7/31 on Sunday, then decide which of the 3 I really want to use. The DPS gap between the 3 is close enough that it'll honestly come down more to which is favored by current encounter mechanics than which actually does the best patchwerk dps.

Edit: Damnit, another ninja PvP thread.

Edited by Daellia

BUT! wat does all this dmg really mean? are you actually changing wat is going on in the match in some significant way, like actually eliminating an opponent?

with madness spec, the reason why the DPS is so high is due to the DOT attacks spreading out over the enemy team,

for ex. affliction lasts 15s, in that time frame i can spam 4 afflictions with coulpe of creeping terrors on the way so my dmg stacks up like crazy, but is it really killing off my enemies?!!?

just becuz u managed to have ur DOT attacks spread out over the enemy team doesnt mean ur winning the game, you need burst attacks to actually make a diffrence in pvp since the more instantaneous ur attacks are, the better you are of an asset to the team

but u may argue that creeping terror stops maras/senitels from jumping on your fellow teammates, who cares, the mara is still alive and can still kill your teammate while you sit in the back trying to DOT kill the mara,

Good luck with DOTting ur enemies to death, if that is possible, PVP is all about instantenous abilites, not slow annoyances that the madness tree is about

the way you play 31 madness is not about spreading dots. we've got only one dot without cd/proc dependancy, so it's not even possible. you just dot the target you're about to kill. dots are too weak to kill anything. but if combined on one target with the DF debuff while channeling force lightning dots can help melting a target pretty fast.

I won't argue about effectiveness. I do well when queueing solo or with 3 friends, but I doubt this spec is useful in a rated warzone environment in it's current state.

and don't forget that pvp is also about control. it may be minor, but stopping a melee from moving for 2 secs every 9 secs without affecting resolve is not that bad.

Edited by Rikeryo

Well, I have to disagree entirely about "slow annoyances." And I'm not just spreading dots, I promise. I'm delivering the damage :p 2.7s channels for 3x800-1k ticks with dots ticking ontop laying down 1.5k+ shocks with extra hits behind them is not weak damage, I promise.

You have to setup damage as Madness - apply dots and then start putting out the pressure the right way. Or do mild pressure, hit dots, and ramp it up. There's tricks to varying levels of damage as Madness, and properly used bigger CDs make a huge impact.

Our multitarget pressure doesn't really increase our damage overall too much, it just helps put a little blanket on them. So, respectfully, I have to disagree with your entire viewpoint on Madness. Don't think for a second that I think we have a "ton of burst", or are anywhere near an actual "burst" class. Pvp, however, is not "just about burst." I would know if my impact wasn't there, I promise. I played a frost mage at 2400+ RBGs with a full Glad/Rank 1 Team (Mugems team for reference, S10.) I'm very educated in control, and the power of burst (i.e. frost mechanics) I would know if I was being a detriment to a team, or not actually contributing and just putting out "water" damage as we refer to it. Eventually I'll be able to supply videos and you'll see just how powerful the damage setups of Madness can be - you can control a lot on the field and really manipulate where your teams dps goes. At least in premades :p Trust me, I'll be one of the main people calling targets for our rateds.

For the record, as I stated in the OP, I do not actually think large numbers are a big deal. They're just there for people that I read say "they can't break 200k" post 1.2, or people that couldn't do it prior, either.

Edited by Kiyoma

I play a madness sorc and a balance shadow and i wreck, I really don't know why dps sorcs are crying I've been madness forever and always put good numbers up, never had chain lightning, never needed it, i was a glad shadow priest for 4 seasons and this was the class I wanted to play, was a boss pre 1.2 still a boss now Edited by jbuschell

another high five for OP :D

I'm using a pure madness even before the 1.2 patch and now that Crushing Darkness gets buffed its even better. Yes the sorcs are still squishy as ever but you just have to know when to run and use your CCs.

As for those that say "you got 500k damage in warzone only because you spam dots on everyone", well in my case ill put the dots on a player and then when they run I just let them be and pick another target. So Im not exactly putting dots on all players on purpose, its their fault for running away :D

I was using a 3/31/7 build last night, to see how well it did in the new content. I think I may try out 3/7/31 on Sunday, then decide which of the 3 I really want to use. The DPS gap between the 3 is close enough that it'll honestly come down more to which is favored by current encounter mechanics than which actually does the best patchwerk dps.

Edit: Damnit, another ninja PvP thread.

I am too trying 3/7/31. Lack of viable AoE for a sorcerer does not feel natural. I do PvP mostly and just played a couple of games. Did not see a dps improvement compared to hybrid (in general my numbers are way down since 1.2 I can barely break 300K (full BM).

Please report back what you find out. It would be helpful if you can compare them please.

Thanks!

I am too trying 3/7/31. Lack of viable AoE for a sorcerer does not feel natural. I do PvP mostly and just played a couple of games. Did not see a dps improvement compared to hybrid (in general my numbers are way down since 1.2 I can barely break 300K (full BM).

Please report back what you find out. It would be helpful if you can compare them please.

Thanks!

3/7/31 is in no way a "Dps improvement" vs the pre 1.2 hybrid spec. It is very comparable though, and I was even out performing hybrid spec'd Sorcs because of my throughput. I would survive longer, thus ultimately doing more damage, scoring more kills, etc. I also did not need big groups of people clumped together to get the most out of the spec.

My numbers as hybrid were astounding. My numbers as Madness are really good, but like I said, not exactly the same. My killing blows are up though, and I feel much more "comfortable" in combat situations.

Kiyoma and others who are having good results with madness, can you elaborate more on your ramping up pressure, etc.?

I have a hard time breaking 200k and I am not saying it because I want to QQ unsubzor but because after 1 day of pvping I feel I am much less effective than I was before.

What are your rotations? What do you switch to when "ramping up"? When do you use death field and when are you popping relics/reck (I think you said in OP you use both on FL)

I currently open with DF or AFL>CT>FL until wrathed CD, then back to FL until one of the [revious is ready to be reapplied. I only break 200k if I die very little and my survivability seems to have plummeted since the patch. 75k healing is also a struggle unless I am spamming consumption and fluffing my numbers (ie in Alderaan)

3/7/31 is in no way a "Dps improvement" vs the pre 1.2 hybrid spec. It is very comparable though, and I was even out performing hybrid spec'd Sorcs because of my throughput. I would survive longer, thus ultimately doing more damage, scoring more kills, etc. I also did not need big groups of people clumped together to get the most out of the spec.

My numbers as hybrid were astounding. My numbers as Madness are really good, but like I said, not exactly the same. My killing blows are up though, and I feel much more "comfortable" in combat situations.

I've played many warzones now, and initially thought well, I survive longer... good things kinda ended there for me. Everyone liked wrath build, some people like madness. That's the end of story.

I do not like this 'new' way and I do not see it as viable for me. As majority of my time was in PvP, game is much much less fun for me.

Oh, and you know folks what bothers me most, no communication from BioWare. I played WoW for 5 yrs and classes went up and down but like it or not at least they always responded to people's concerns. Silence just adds to the frustration.

Kiyoma and others who are having good results with madness, can you elaborate more on your ramping up pressure, etc.?

I have a hard time breaking 200k and I am not saying it because I want to QQ unsubzor but because after 1 day of pvping I feel I am much less effective than I was before.

What are your rotations? What do you switch to when "ramping up"? When do you use death field and when are you popping relics/reck (I think you said in OP you use both on FL)

I currently open with DF or AFL>CT>FL until wrathed CD, then back to FL until one of the [revious is ready to be reapplied. I only break 200k if I die very little and my survivability seems to have plummeted since the patch. 75k healing is also a struggle unless I am spamming consumption and fluffing my numbers (ie in Alderaan)

Are you geared? If not, you really have to stick with it until you get some, but that's the case with most classes/specs I believe.

Here are some things to think about:

• Applying AFL to multiple targets too boost damage is rather pointless, because it does not deal enough damage on its own, and will mess up your force management. Generally AFL can be good to put on priority targets, so you do not have to apply it to them if you have to target switch (this usually means 1-2 AFL at a time).
  • I usually use CT more than AFL in PvP, because the 2sec root is amazing. What this means is that I apply AFL to a target I intend to kill (note that AFL definitely can be worth applying even if your bring them down way before it runs out), but use CT whenever it is of cooldown and I need the snare.
  • For spot healing, Dark Heal usually trumps Dark Infusion.
  • In PvP you optimally want to use DF in combination with CD and with both CT and AFL on the target (note that this is different from PvE where you want to avoid CD using Deathmark charges).
  • DF is ground targeted so make sure to use this to your advantage and hit as many enemies as possible, just make sure you hit your main target. This is NOT just damage fluff, our DF can crit pretty hard which puts extra pressure on their healer. It also provides you with Deathmark charges on the secondary targets as well as more self healing.
  • In most situations Recklessness is best used with FL > DF. This is often the case against just one target too, because of how vulnerable FL is to interrupts, and a DF crit is better burst than FL. There are of course situations where FL > FL are better, and also situations where a sole reckless DF is better.
  • PvP is a lot about using your abilities at the right time, so don't be afraid of saving a DF or CD until a better opportunity.
  • For the love of babies, use your Purge, both on yourself and on your allies. Apart from purging snares off allies in key situations there are some abilities that you should always try to purge if you see them on an ally.
    • CD/MC: As you know, this is a huge damage ability, especially for madness/balance. Purging it is effectively a cheap and quick heal.
    • Force Crush/Force Exhaustion: This ability is central for those angry rage/focus warriors, and purging it is HUGE.
    • WW/Force lift: Yes, you can purge it. As a side note it just hit me that you can probably purge the warrior AE stun too, but don't quote me on that.

[*]Our many force debuffs also make us useful in covering crucial debuffs from getting purged. I am not certain of how the priority system works for Purge, but if I have many weaker debuffs on me, and try to purge a stronger one I always (as far as I've noticed) end up purging the weaker ones.

[*]Overload is a good tool despite of how weak the knock back is. It's situational, but apart from controlling bridges/ramps and keeping people off your capper, it's also useful for interrupting that pesky ravage, avoiding rage smashes, and generally when pillar humping.

[*]Extrication is not just good in Huttball: combined with static barrier it is the best tool any sorcerer has to save someone being focused or otherwise taking heavy damage, and we have it even if we're not healing spec'd.

[*]Don't forget your interrupt. It is off the GCD and ranged so it should be used even if it's not your target using the ability you want interrupted. Abilities to look out for are (note that it can be worth using a stun/ww to interrupt many of these abilities sometimes):

• [Tracer Missile/Grav Round, Force lightning/Telekinetic Throw, Lightning Strike/Disturbance] : These are filler spells that are important for procs, so interrupting these usually puts a good dent in the effectiveness of the enemy. Note that LS/Disturbance is pretty weak in itself, and having it locked out for 4 seconds shouldn't be a big deal for a Lightning/Telekinetic sorc/sage, so it is often better to save the interrupt for Thundering Blast/Turbulence.
    • Thundering Blast/Turbulence: See above.
    • Unload/Full Auto: This ability is pretty big for both dps merc/commando specs. For Arsenal/Gunnery a proc and surge talent make it hit like a truck, and it's the best way pyro/assault mercs/commandos have to proc their PTA/Ionic Accelerator.
    • Cull/Wounding Shots: For snipers/gs and ops/scoundrels using Lethality/DF this is a huge part of their burst. Most of the time, you won't be able to interrupt a sniper/gs because of the cover mechanics, but it's always good to try.
    • Force Choke/Force Stasis: It should be pretty obvious why it's good to interrupt a disable, as an added benefit this also makes it harder for those rage/focus warriors to build singularity charges.
    • Death from Above/Mortar Volley: this is a channeled AE damage ability, and interrupting a well placed one will prevent a ton of damage to your team.
    • Orbital Strike/XS Freighter Flyby: Another AE damage ability, but this one has a long cast time attached to it after which it continues to deal some serious damage in an AoE for a long time. In my experience this ability is mostly used to control the battle field by preventing the enemy from being able to stand in it unless they want to eat its damage. Interrupting it thus allows your team to use the position it intended to block out.
    • Heals: Preventing heals from going out is pretty big when you want to kill someone. There are some things to think about though; Innervate/Healing Trance and Healing Scan/Advanced Medical Probe have a cooldown already associated with them and in most cases they're not enough to save someone on their own. Therefore it's ussually better to save your interrupt for the heal following it.

[*]Don't forget to use your snares, your stun and your WW to help your team, not just yourself.

[*]Note that if your force slow is on cooldown, you can use FL as another slow to assist in peeling, but this will obviously severely hamper your damage output on your main target.

I realise that if you PvP a lot, you probably are aware of most of what I just said. Anyway, when it comes to ramping up pressure it comes down to saving your CD and DF until you can use both. So, if you have time to ramp it up (which is not the case if for example the enemy ball carrier is about to score) you:

Apply AFL+CT > FL until Wrath procs > Use available cooldowns > FL > DF > CD > FL > Finnish with Shock when they're about to go down in order to cut time available for healing.

OR

Apply AFL+CT > FL until Wrath procs > CD > Use available coodowns > FL > DF > FL > Finnish with Shock when they're about to go down in order to cut time available for healing.

(I'm not entirely sure which one is the most effective, but I end up using the latter one most).

There's also some controversy involved in which talents to pick up. I myself use 3/7/31 with these noticable choices:

• I don't pick up Chain Shock, choosing instead to lower my cooldown on the stun and using the last point to improve DoT resistance.
  • I don't take Convection over Electric Induction because I feel that the albeit small boost to force management is crucial in allowing the madness sorc to maximize utility and spot healing.
  • I spend my last 3 points in Seeping Darkness because of how crit synergize with the madness tree.

I can definitely see how getting Convection over either Electric Induction or Seeping Darkness could be better, and I may end up changing my opinion on how to make that choice later on.

With these choices I have no trouble breaking 500 dps in any WZ unless I'm on defense duty or just assist the ball runner, with 600+ dps being fairly common in drawn out Void Star matches, and sometimes getting as high as 750+ dps. My healing usually ends up on somewhere around 150k if it's a full duration match where I participated in the fighting. Finally (to those of you thinking this means I do not play the objective) I am currently sitting on slightly above 85% win rate when I solo queue.

Thank you for the detailed and informative post Heimur.

I am happy to realize that I am playing my madness toon pretty much the same as you so I am inclined to believe my in effectiveness is coming from gear and my main problem of not popping relics and wrecklessness enough. Are relics on the gcd?

I am sitting around 1300 willpower and 500 expertise, have to look up surge/crit/power. Iam basically in 2 BM pieces, 1 cent and the rest all champion, all unmodded

My best guess is I am going to need to focus on modding up my surge and power

Edited by Wayapman

Hi guys

I love my sorc now more than before 1.2

Im running 2/8/31, standing at 1693 willpower 31% crit and 72% surge around 17000 health buffed, full battlemaster mixture of mystic and force master to gain both 2 set bonus and maximum willpower, 1 War Hero head piece augmented with original WH mods and augmented light saber with bm mods.

Now at first when i heard about patch i was groaning as burst is very important in pvp and i thought i wouldnt be as valued as other classes now, in any full length game im pulling over 500k, and thats without just going for damage, im always doing objectives especially now as you are rewarded for it, since patch hit i have been pretty much pvp all the time and the mobility of madness spec is insane, and the root of CT is so usefull against melee, im winning 2 vs 1s constantly, some of my dots are ticking up to 800 damage on a crit!! And my favourite thing that i see noone has mentioned.

Parasitism! This is your best friend and the reason why seem as hard to kill as a tank almost it heals me for 320 per crit and 70 or so for not crit, it is so awseome for out lasting people, i keep getting messaged after games people asking me how i am not dying in if get 8 dot crits in a fight which is very likely, i think i get more, but that heals me for 2500 health not to mention the non crit heals, and my 3500k bubble i pop up every 16 sec without fail.

Some numbers ive been getting.

Highest crits

Shock, 2500, with 1200 second proc

Force Lightning, 1000 / 1400 (relic, adrenal)

Crushing darkness, 2500k initial hit, up to 800 crits, not often though, mainly around the 600 mark

Death field, 3500 / 4800 depending on target expertise

Is anyone else similar stats to me getting these numbers? Im extremely happy with madness in 1.2 and we get full WH set augmented we are going to be melting people so much, theres nothing more satisfying than stunning a guy and walking off while your dots eat him and hes helpless.

Feel free to ask questions.

Edited by Saltix

I'm wondering how you have your willpower so high. I guess I'd have to attribute it to a stim. On live I only walk around with 1356. if I had my gear fully willpower setup (I use 4pc mystic at the moment for Consumption) I'd only net another 20-30 or so. So that's only 1386...plus an agument..so maybe 18...Im counting to 1400ish. Im in full BM with an augmented lightsaber (no WH piece yet or augmented pieces otherwise, waiting on someone to finish my pants, and the rest of my set as well)

Could you post me a list of your full gear setup with details? I need to reitemize and get my stats in priority and whatnot, but you just seem to be rocking a lot more than I can account for, especially with that much surge and crit to complement (which are the values Id want to be sitting at.)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.