The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

A Growing Concern: Where Do We Go From Here?

Space-Guerrilla

Thank you for your response.

The "lie" I refer to is clear as day, really. They had to of known well in advance ranked warzones would not go live in 1.2. You can't just yank something that major out of a patch hours before it goes live. This has been discussed at great length in other threads as well.

It isn't a lie, and yes, they can yank something that is bugged and not working correctly 4 hours before patch time, or even an hour before patch time. Can you imagine the complaints if ranked WZs went live and were broken? Oh the outrage that would have spawned would have dwarfed the outrage about there not being ranked WZs.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one is saying every major MMO should come with major hiccups at the start. What they're saying is that it's foolish and naive to believe a particular game will run 100% fluid without any major setbacks.

No modern software can be 100% unless it's "Hello World". But my point is why is the bar set so low - i.e., this game's launch is compared to this other game's launch a decade ago, throwing out everything that was learned/advanced during that time.

One could ask, why put yourself in this situation to begin with? The larger the patch, the more chance unexpected or showstopper bugs will appear.

Honest questions, but why shouldn't we expect more? Just because every previous MMO has had major screw ups early on, all future MMO's must have them as well?

Why should we always compare every MMO that launches with WoW's launch (that was almost a decade ago). Why is that the bar, not the present WoW, which is what SWTOR is actually competing against?

I really don't get this mentality, as it implies you're resigned to accepting an inferior product, and let corporate America continually screw the consumer out of our hard earned income.

Look...

I see this kinda comment about every software/game release out there that's buggy and has issues. I understand why you think like this, but it bugs me every time because it's simply unrealistic.

Every new MMO, every new bit of software or new game, is not simply improving on an older model - we can not expect seemless improvement over time.

Instead, every new game launch is literally reinventing the wheel. They don't pick up an old design and tweak it. They build a completely new model, not based on any previous work. It's not like a new car coming out. It's like one game is a car, and the next is a motorcycle, and the next is a glider, and the next is a submarine, and each one is the very first of it's kind. In other words, very little relevant previous models to draw on.

Look...

I see this kinda comment about every software/game release out there that's buggy and has issues. I understand why you think like this, but it bugs me every time because it's simply unrealistic.

Every new MMO, every new bit of software or new game, is not simply improving on an older model - we can not expect seemless improvement over time.

Instead, every new game launch is literally reinventing the wheel. They don't pick up an old design and tweak it. They build a completely new model, not based on any previous work. It's not like a new car coming out. It's like one game is a car, and the next is a motorcycle, and the next is a glider, and the next is a submarine, and each one is the very first of it's kind. In other words, very little relevant previous models to draw on.

Progress is not reinventing the wheel every time - that's just dumb/idiotic.

And what makes you think software is not improving on an older model? You almost never start from scratch in software development. And by model, I don't mean codebase either.

You spec the system, the interfaces, the behaviors, and the interactions, and then you architect and develop. After X number of MMO releases since WoW, you don't think any progress has been made on this front? That every MMO has to start over because the previous approach was so broken it's completely unusable now.

Edited by nsx_two_four_one

And that is the wrong model to take. Progress is not reinventing the wheel every time - that's just dumb/idiotic. You take what's been done before, build upon it, improve it, polish it, and therefore, advance it.

No one is reinventing the wheel.

As an avid MMO player that has played many MMOs right at launch, I think BioWare has done a darned good job with their first MMO. There are certainly bugs galore but hopefully get fixed along the way. I don't envy the development team with the large downtime. But with a spouse in the IT field, I'm certainly very understanding and can roll with the punches.

My main concern is how SWTOR grows. We have the legacy system now. Ranked warzones are coming. What other goodies are there to entice folks---will we get some fun hobby systems? Will we be able to customize our ships? Will we have player housing at some point? Will there be a fun achievement system? Will there be more flashpoints, operations, warzones? I'm feeling a bit blah at 50 now.

I'm sitting at 50 and now am in the daily quest grind. I'm not bored........yet. If I get bored, there are other class stories to pursue. I still have the Republic to play. But I'm looking at a bit more. Just read that Rift is getting cooking and fishing. Now if they introduce player housing at some point, I'm going back.

I really hate whiners like you, it is people like you who are going to bring about the end of this MMO and ruin it for the rest of us. How did BioWare lie? They also refunded the entire day yesterday and are giving out free 30 days! How is that a bad thing? Sure not everything went as expected but when does it ever? SWTOR is still very new there are still mistakes to be had and learned from. I hope your not one of those "I demand X or I am going back to WOW" type of people. Those ones really get me.

I think in future updates we will see more flash points, operations, and warzones. I can only hope we see more Races, i really want to be a Nautolan. More classes would be amazing as well.

Edited by Ronik_Jast

I really hate whiners like you, it is people like you who are going to bring about the end of this MMO and ruin it for the rest of us. How did BioWare lie? They also refunded the entire day yesterday and are giving out free 30 days! How is that a bad thing? Sure not everything went as expected but when does it ever? SWTOR is still very new there are still mistakes to be had and learned from. I hope your not one of those "I demand X or I am going back to WOW" type of people. Those ones really get me.

I think in future updates we will see more flash points, operations, and warzones. I can only hope we see more Races, i really want to be a Nautolan. More classes would be amazing as well.

Its a great game, but Bioware can do a lot better on execution. I remind you this is a business not a charity. So it doesn't matter how cheap the game is or how much we get for our $15...what matters is that their product works and makes people happy. You should kiss the butt of every whiner on this board, because its those complaints that push companies like Bioware to do better. My advice is that you get over it, people make unreasonable complaints everyday and many probably will go play kung-fu panda if their complaints aren't addressed. The mob as they say is fickle...

and every clue points that they are indeed listening the comunity,

Whenever anyone says something like this, I can't help but think about the however many thousands of posts have been made about space combat and the utter lack of dev/mod responses or interest.

Bioware may be listening to the community, but their ears are very selective in what they hear.

I doubt we'll get any new classes any time soon - too expensive for all the VO work. Maybe a new class or two will come out in an expansion in a year or two.

I also doubt we'll get any new races soon - Bioware's decision to limit the races to the ones we have currently was a technical decision based on not having to redo every single helmet out there to fit an unusually shaped head. Until they have that technical stuff worked out, we won't be seeing any of the more unusual aliens type species.

Edited by dazednconfuzed

Thank you for your response.

The "lie" I refer to is clear as day, really. They had to of known well in advance ranked warzones would not go live in 1.2. You can't just yank something that major out of a patch hours before it goes live. This has been discussed at great length in other threads as well.

Yea, and if ranked Warzones had launched with any minimal bugs you would've been here just the same but making a thread on how they release things buggy and unfinished. In either event, we'd see the same: complaining.