Too late to short EA stocks?

Niconogood

Uh... you do realize that the entire entertainment gaming industry is trading at about -25% year-on-year for March, right? That EA is not an outlier in its peer industry for earnings? That the downtick in stock trends with it's industry peers?

Still higher price than its previous low pre-crash, once we see YE annual report we'll know more, but Q3 call suggests that profitability is already identified as a longer-term proposition for SWTOR for EA and baked into the price.

I just find it bizarre that someone would actually try to make a "too late to short EA stock" prediction, when clearly going long makes much more sense.

Sentiment is all that matters.

Everything else is book cooking.

I really do feel like the golden age of video gaming is coming to an end though. Everquest, Diablo, and Doom lead the first wave of PC gaming, with Playstation and Xbox leading the consoles. WOW on the PC and Modern warfare 1st person shooters on the consoles felt like the gaming peak to me.

Nothing "feels" revolutionary to me anymore and everything feels like an imitation cash cow.

Guess what? Diablo 3 isn't that great. Blizzard were giving it away free to anyone who paid for a year's sub on wow not long ago (then announced the next expansion once they suckered people in, glad I avoided that). Edited by NasherUK

LOL. Strong market. You mean in-game?

There are no strong markets now. There is only behavior such as the title of your post suggests: dishonest, underhanded and ultimately, destructive to the entire globe.

To spell it out... Nasdaq and most other leading indices have been soaring since newyears. EA has fallen.

Not talking long, long term perspective here, but 4 months of bullmarket is a strong market indeed where i come from.

And as some other guy were pointing out. YES, SWTOR is not EAs entire portefolio. BUT it is what is on the investors mind atm regarding the company. And that will affect the shareprice. Thats also why I ask if they have any new titles in the horizon that could change the current sentiment.

Edited by Niconogood

why dont you put up blizzard activisions share price up, ow i know why cos it aint worth as much as EA's, funny that.

Now back to my pint.

you know why?

cause blizzards share pool is 3 times the size

more active shares, more active shares, more trade, more trade more price flux

i think activisons shares 15bn EA 5bn

Edited by Deathnasty

Everquest, Diablo, and Doom lead the first wave of PC gaming, with Playstation and Xbox leading the consoles. WOW on the PC and Modern warfare 1st person shooters on the consoles felt like the gaming peak to me.

Nothing "feels" revolutionary to me anymore and everything feels like an imitation cash cow.

I think you will find UO trailblazed the way for major MMO titles, it was also the most revolutionary mmo there has been and still is compared to the crap rolled out over the past few years.

Basically the industry must work on the current model -

Sign a major licence

Massive PR campaign on how great the game will be and give you everyting you ever wanted

create 3 or 4 purchase options fluffed out with crap but add 100$ on

Cover costs by initial launch sales

Launch game

sh$t hits the fan

Start cutting staff and give lots of false promises to keep customer base subbing for 6 months to squeeze as much profit as possible

Go F2P and cash in on micro transactions for the gullible

Rinse and repeart with next project

We are the ones ot blame for falling for it every time :rolleyes:

Edited by BossJawa

They topped out on 25$ around november in anticipation of SWTOR but have declined steadily since then, it got a slight boost from 18$ to 19$ in february in response to the announcement of 1,7 million paying subscribers. There have not been any investor announcement since then.

Stock is now hovering around 16$. I would suspect after the complete fail of patch 1.2, and with diablo 3 coming next month, and GW2 in the horizon the customer base is certain to fall dramatically. The stockprice however have fallen alot in an otherwise strong market, and is now on the same level as before the SWTOR hype.

You believe the stock will fall even further or will it even out in anticipation of new titles?

since SWTOR was its golden child and I dont care what the spin and fanbois say, empty servers (but listed as light and standard) are empty servers.

Yeah EA stock will be free falling after this unless something drastic done.

Plus add in the ME3 screw up and the DA2 screw ups

They purchased Bioware because of its strong core audience and then they chased that core audience away by changing the designs of the games.

And this is a problem? Buy low, sell high; right? In other words, let them drop some more then buy; they'll go up eventually.

lol best of luck on that JeR

Im not spending any money on their stock if its penny stock!

Edited by Kalfear

Sentiment is all that matters.

Everything else is book cooking.

I really do feel like the golden age of video gaming is coming to an end though. Everquest, Diablo, and Doom lead the first wave of PC gaming, with Playstation and Xbox leading the consoles. WOW on the PC and Modern warfare 1st person shooters on the consoles felt like the gaming peak to me.

That's because making games is bloody expensive and publishers are risk averse. When that plan stops making money, or when someone else innovates into more money they'll try something else.

But lets face it, if you play for example skyrim, the core concept of first person 'shooter' walking around pretty much gives all the technology you need to tell the story you want. There are only so many ways to follow a character around, and they can all pretty much be done nowdays. If you want to do something that's more game than story there's still lots of innovation to be had (think minecraft) but from a technical standpoint it's rare that you have a problem that isn't solved by either a 2D or 3D space with stuff that players look at. Once we got to that point it's all been gravy. And has hard as the original battlezone tried, it never quite got there, right idea but not quite.

Greetings,

Our goal with these forums is to provide a place for our community to discuss Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. Since this thread seems to focus more on the world of business, we are closing it.

Thank you for understanding!