The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

26/13/2 IF variation

Nydar

Alright, so I tried 3 different specs yesterday, all dps, but I came to the conclusion(yes I know it was a limited amount of time) that I prefer something more tankie as full Pyro just isn't my style and I don't feel like taking the time to master AP. So, I was either going to go full shieldtech or this build or something like it.

I am in full champ gear with two pieces of BM atm and its all combat tech(the armor)or eliminator(everything else)

My question is did I miss something. I just did this now, haven't played it, just asking if I missed anything major or wasted any points.

Yes Agooz, you were right i am seeing value in that tank pvp spec you posted as well. :)

Anyways, I am asking because you guys understand the deep mechanics better than I do. I usually just take a build you posted and use your rotations, which has worked fore me up to this point. :)

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GoGbdRroMZrkMroZb.1

This is what I came up with. I tend to que solo about 1/2 the time. I tend to be asked to tank hardmodes a bit too(another reason dps builds don't work for me) When I que solo i discover that most of the time no one is on the healer. In order to win, even though I do tank dmg, I find i need to be able to keep that healer busy. I thought with the imrpoved quell, grapple, and jet charge of this build even if I don't kill the healer I can pretty much make him think about me and only me. :)

If you are going to be tanking HM's and other stuff with this build. I would recommend dropping Hitman. Trust me Improved Quell is not that great.

Pickup Power Armor and move your points from Prototype Electric Surge to Puncture as you will be using Rail Shot regularly in your tank rotation.

I always thought in Iron Fist you wanted to pickup Flame Barrage. Retractable Blade is not worth the point invested in it.

I believe this is the more common Iron Fist Build. If you want a more tanking build you will have to drop the three points in AP tree that get you Flame Barrage and pickup 1 point in Heat Screen.

Though I haven't tanked since lvl 30.

If you are going to be tanking HM's and other stuff with this build. I would recommend dropping Hitman. Trust me Improved Quell is not that great.

Pickup Power Armor and move your points from Prototype Electric Surge to Puncture as you will be using Rail Shot regularly in your tank rotation.

I always thought in Iron Fist you wanted to pickup Flame Barrage. Retractable Blade is not worth the point invested in it.

I believe this is the more common Iron Fist Build. If you want a more tanking build you will have to drop the three points in AP tree that get you Flame Barrage and pickup 1 point in Heat Screen.

Though I haven't tanked since lvl 30.

Appreciate the input. I wasn't worried about rail shot, because I assumed that on that new cool down it wasn't wort putting a lot of points into. You're not impressed with quell? I found that quell combined with HO(when i tried AP) was fantastic for abusing healers. With the exception of stuff that couldn't be interrupted I was locking them down, with that said I see its still in the build you linked, so that is cool.

Appreciate the input. I wasn't worried about rail shot, because I assumed that on that new cool down it wasn't wort putting a lot of points into. You're not impressed with quell? I found that quell combined with HO(when i tried AP) was fantastic for abusing healers. With the exception of stuff that couldn't be interrupted I was locking them down, with that said I see its still in the build you linked, so that is cool.

I only spec into improved quell in my AP no-RS build because it's the only way to skip the CGC talent and still get to immolate. I never found quell to be that much of a gamebreaker when I was pyro or without imp quell.

I only spec into improved quell in my AP no-RS build because it's the only way to skip the CGC talent and still get to immolate. I never found quell to be that much of a gamebreaker when I was pyro or without imp quell.

Yeah, but that's because pyros burn stuff down so fast you don't need the extra interrupt powah :)

I am assuming that with this spec my dps isn't going to be in the same tax bracket. :)

First of, IGC is terrible in terms of damage. So any points in it beyond Ion Overload and Neural Overload, to me, is a waste. So I wouldnt take Supercharged Ion Gas or Prototype Cylinders.

I would do something like this:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GoGbkMrRMZrzrrZb.1

Now with Heat Blast being off of GCD, I personally feel a 31 Shieldtech is better. Shieldtechs DO have a heat management issue in PvP. Not only you need someone to be hitting YOU to use your heat venting mechanism, they also need to be using abilities that can be shielded. That's why I feel that taking Heat Blast is a good idea.

What is your gear like? The ability to use a PvP build in PvE often depends on your gear. Often times, the tank needs to be one of the best (if not the best) geared player in the group. If you're still working towards a full Columi set, it may be difficult to reliably use a PvP build for PvE tanking.

I have a few suggestions, but in the end, I guess I'm just explaining why I think the Ironfist build is built the way it is. My suggestion may just be "don't move too far from it".

Abalative Upgrades: Abalative Upgrades wasn't worth it before 1.2 (for PvP) and it's worse now (-2% absorption). Kolto Overload is okay, but it's pretty lackluster and not really worthy of reducing its CD.

Supercharged Ion Gas: Ion Gas Cylinder doesn't do a ton of damage and it might still be bugged (don't know if anyone has tested it). The bug seemed to prevent IGC from doing all of the ticks, hence making the increased damage even less useful.

Prototype Electro Surge: probably personal preference, but I find myself using Carbonize way more often in both PvP and PvE situations. I would rather have my Rail Shots hit harder on armored targets both for PvE aggro and PvP burst.

Power Armor: You need it, not negotiable. It's -2% damage reduction from all damage, regardless of type and regardless if PvE or PvP.

Prototype Cylinders: Same thing as Supercharged Ion Gas...except the argument is stronger since it adds even less damage and utility.

Retractable Blade: Personally, I like it. The damage itself is only average, but that's not the point. Sometimes Rocket Punch is on CD, but rail shot is not. Retractable Blade is the way to guarantee a rail shot even if rocket punch is on CD. Again, it's personal preference and this might free up a point that you can spend elsewhere to strengthen your PvE survivability.

Quell: I think it's great for locking down healers in PvP, but it's usefulness plummets in PvE. Another two "free" points if you need to increase your PvE survivability.

Flame Barrage: This isn't part of the Ironfist build, never was.

Anyways, those are my two cents.