Server Maintenance

JasonMG

i don't see how some valid arguments in this thread have been labelled as qq (very early ones)

you pay money for a product and continued service much like anything else in the real world, it goes down, expect anger and frustration on many different levels.

exactly

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is no wonder that European players are deserting the game in droves with all the daytime downtime we have to endure.

Question: If the servers are physically situated in Europe why can they not be serviced overnight as the American servers are ?

You're lying and you're *********** horrible at it. WoW was unplayable for the first four to six months, you would know that if you played since beta. If you have and you're still going on with this drivel then you're just being an ******.

Who says it wont ?

The game is four months old, they have barely had time to fix anything with you keyboard warriors QQ'ing about content and new **** because you sit locked up in your room playing this game twenty four hours a day, seven days a week.

By the way, It's (Lunatic) you would know that if you weren't blithering idiot.

Laughing out loud at: "sitting home in your room" part. I am frustrated as I have been working all week and was planning to enjoy my Friday eve. Do not try to reflect your own miserable life on me. Time is precious for me, which is the cause of my frustration. I have to plan for my playing time.

Edited by xmyth

How am I lying? Did you see me denying that wow had issues? My point is, there it comes again: "I expect it to exceed wow or else I would have stayed with wow".

Again, who says it wont ?

Programming takes time, I don't think you realize that porgamming takes time. If one thing gets messed up you have to scan over millions of pages of code to correct the problem. Honestly, this game will probably out perform WoW when it has all its kinks worked out.

You expect a brand new game to out perform a game thats been around eleven years, in four months ?

What are you smoking ? Can I have some ?

I know it's hard to carry on a conversation when you can't even spell simple words like lunatic right but at least try to back up your **** with facts and not just your stinky self entitled opinion.

I don't see how some valid arguments in this thread have been labelled as QQ (very early ones)

You pay money for a product and continued service much like anything else in the real world, it goes down, expect anger and frustration on many different levels.

Yes but I think the main idea is that you can complain, cry and vent all you want, it not going to do any good except make you more fusterated. I think in the politest terms people are just saying accept that it happened and move on to something else to occupy your time... nothing can be done.

It is no wonder that European players are deserting the game in droves with all the daytime downtime we have to endure.

Question: If the servers are physically situated in Europe why can they not be serviced overnight as the American servers are ?

Because that leads to the problem of having multiple versions of the same game running at the same time.

If a player's based in NA but plays on a Euro server (perhaps they work the night shift, so the uptimes work better with their schedule) they won't be able to play on patch days because they won't get the patch on time.

Furthermore, you're asking the entire server maintenance department to work 20 hour days when you do multiple-time patching. Don't think that's going to happen either.

Edited by SturmUndSterne

Really? That's where we're going with this? If a musician hits a wrong note, it happens, if they repeatedly hit wrong notes, I don't "attack" them, I leave the performance and ask for my money back. Since that's not possible with an MMO, I criticize. Just so you're aware, it's possible to dislike Bioware's handling of this game without being an evil person. I understand that people have some need to white knight whatever game they're currently playing, as ridiculous as that is, but I'm not one of them.

I'm not going to cancel over this, but if things continue going this route, I sure as hell will, especially given the new games that are going to be coming out over the next couple months. Unlike some, I don't tie my undying loyalty to a company because their game is neat, those days are long gone for me.

As for your starvation/disease strawman, personally I've worked at as well as volunteered at a local food bank, what have you done?

Well since you asked, I spent many years as a volunteer Firefighter/Paramedic, and also worked as a volunteer for disaster relief, and as a SAR diver. In short, you probably don't want to compare your life to mine.

My example was meant to be as absurd as yours (and others) who think that BioWare has some nefarious plan to anger their customers, or those that think they could run things better. I have absolutely no "need" to champion SWtOR, nor any other MMO I've played.

The difference for me is that I have enough going on in my life that I can find other fun things to do, like reading a book (although this thread is about to reach the size of a good novel shortly). If the game isn't available because of programming problems, I don't need to get my shorts in a wad and demand all sorts of compensation. My life doesn't revolve around this game.

I certainly have a lot more patience for a game that has had a life of 4 months when compared to one that has had one of say, 8 years or more.

So you go right ahead and complain about not being able to move your pixels around. I'm going to go read The Girl Who Played With Fire and put this mountain of garbage thread behind me and out of my mind.

EDIT: Wrong book title.

Edited by Highlandscot

Laughing out loud at: "sitting home in your room" part. I am frustrated as I have been working all week and was planning to enjoy my Friday eve. Do not try to reflect your own miserable life on me. Time is precious for me, which is the cause of my frustration. I have to plan for my playing time.

Right, seems like you work a lot, tell me how many 80's you have on wow LOL

Negative. I work at a company that manages many different versions of many different files. We've have the same kind of screw up before. We were pressured into a deadline and missed out on thorough QA and had to eat a lot of hours to fix it after we delivered it. We lost a lot of money. That is unacceptable. I'm speaking from experience. I'm not trying to say I'm better than them. It is absolutely unacceptable and people have lost their jobs for less.

This is not a problem of learning a new industry. This is a basic concept of being patient and making sure you do QA before releasing a product to your clients. This is a structural issue, not an incompetence issue. If the patch had gone through the appropriate channels it would have never made it to live.

That! Fully agree with you!!

This is a abhorrent event to say the least!

I am a SW fan but i think i will move away to other kind of game very soon!

The away they are managing the things in this game, plus "mistakes" of this kind, are not acceptable at all!

It looks the game is ruled by insane clowns or Jesters, not adult, inteligent and responsable people!!!:eek:

Edited by Vespertilius

Yes but I think the main idea is that you can complain, cry and vent all you want, it not going to do any good except make you more fusterated. I think in the politest terms people are just saying accept that it happened and move on to something else to occupy your time... nothing can be done.

True, but you could also argue i guess that it is people's personal decision to discuss the downtime via an official channel, but that really summarises the other sides argument well.

Depends on the individual.

Because that leads to the problem of having multiple versions of the same game running at the same time.

If a player's based in NA but plays on a Euro server (perhaps they work the night shift, so the uptimes work better with their schedule) they won't be able to play on patch days because they won't get the patch on time.

Furthermore, you're asking the entire server maintenance department to work 20 hour days when you do multiple-time patching. Don't think that's going to happen either.

They make money from 1.7 million people, that's not too much.

If you give me that much money(at least $10000 per month for their staff) I won't have problem to work 20 hour days sometimes.

Hear! Hear!

As the great philosopher Forest Gump once said, "S**t happens". It's happened at one point or another in every game I played. This is still better than most.

BJ

Right, seems like you work a lot, tell me how many 80's you have on wow LOL

Seriously, what are you trying to achieve? What is your purpose? To make this thread about me or discuss about the game? Perhaps you should start a new topic in that case. And yes, I do work alot.

OMG. SWTOR IS THE ONLY MMO IN HISTORY THAT EVER HAD SERVERS GO DOWN FOR EMERGENCY MAINTENANCE!

Quick, everyone let's go play some Korean MMO that is being run out of some guy's basement outside of Seoul! .they won't have any downtime.

ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN STEPPING AWAY FROM MY COMPUTER FOR A FEW HOURS.

True, but you could also argue i guess that it is people's personal decision to discuss the downtime via an official channel, but that really summarises the other sides argument well.

Depends on the individual.

Don't get me wrong, I am flustered about the situation too.. I finally had a full day to devote to the game and this happened..

But what can I do? whine? complain? threaten to leave? What good will it do? the game will be up when it's time, it will go on without me if i left.