The difference between Rec. League and the Travel Team

Sholagar

Well I hate to compare PvP in this game to an actual competitive sport, but bare with me a sec, this analogy I think may be helpful::

My son plays ice hockey, and there is a recreation league (rec. league), and there is a travel team. Rec. League is open to anyone, as long as they basically know how to skate, its where everyone learns to play hockey as a team. The kids develop basic skills, everyone is played equally (equal play time, better kids don't play longer). Its a family atmosphere, no one gets yelled at for blowing a play (these kids are 8 and under), losses are celebrated as much as wins.

Then there is the travel team. Kids try out for it, there's only 12 slots for the single team. Its obviously much more competitive, the best kids make the team and play against teams from other rinks. Better kids will tend to get more ice time, kids are expected to follow the coach's rules and can get benched for not listening or not playing their positions. Its still fun (lots of fun), but much more is expected out of the travel team kids.

PvP in this game is NOT the travel team. Well, at least not yet (no rated). Before 1.2, everyone who participated in Rec. league PvP got fairly well rewarded, sure winning gave you more, but even the losing team went home relatively happy. Sure there was the occasional "special" kid off in the corner making snowballs and still getting his participation trophy at the end, but by and large everyone was having fun even when they got trounced game after game.

The new reduced awards for warzones goes against Rec. league spirit, which again is what we have been playing all along, Rec. League. If you really want scorched earth meager rewards for the losing team.... well great lets save that for Travel Team when it comes (whenever that is). Rated WZs can give zilch for rewards to a losing team for all I care... cause thats Travel Team mentality. If you want ultra-competitive loser gets nothing PvP, then its very clear to me that rated WZs are BUILT for that.... thats what RATED means, teams rated high get high rewards, teams at the bottom get nada.

HOWEVER, current Rec. League warzones are all about participation, learning (and getting geared obviously), and losers need to get rewarded very well too. Why? Because the minimum level for participation in RATED WZs will obviously require full BM armor. Rated WZs=Travel Team, that's where participation is secondary and performance (winning) is primary.

Trust me, you hardcore loser-gets nothing guys..... you want as many different teams signing up for rated WZs as possible, for the field of competition to be as WIDE as possible. And competition doesn't even begin until everyone is wearing mainly the same gear.

BW, it seems to me that you accidentally put in the reduced awards that you would see in Rated WZs into current Rec. level PvP. I am sure that this an oversight on your part, and that you did not intend to punish Rec. players by treating them like they are in fact the Travel team. I have full confidence that this will be remedied, and Rec. League will once again be somewhat rewarding, and not a exercise in frustration (in relation to getting geared up).