I don't think we are in Warhammer situation.

Angedechu

Some of the same devs that ruined what could have been a great game (Warhammer) are also the ones that making decisions for this game. Lets not forget EA has a hand in turning warhammer into the half game it is now. Very little confidence in the development team....I did get 30 days of free play time though (hope to get more with the fiasco lauch of 1.2 since I am currently paying for this downtime) so I will stick around for the moment.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough. However, I can only go by experience.

My last MMO, again, I joined because friends said “CoH isn’t really an MMO. You can solo. Loot is auto-distributed. You get tons of stories.” so I tried it and loved it.

They were putting in monthly story arcs. Monthly. Let alone the multiple arcs that game in with their “issues” (their version of expansions). And, stories wasn’t the selling point.

In TOR, I was honestly expecting a chapter every 2-3 months, but little to no raid / PVP. Obviously, I was very wrong, and it’s very possible my expectations were all about what was in my head. I do know that, when I’m done with TOR, however many months that will be, I will never, and I mean NEVER join an MMO again, no matter how it’s advertised, or word of mouth described to me.

The MMO part trumps all. I get it. I honestly do. It’s just not my thing. I dropped EQ after a month (wife still raids there). I played COH and now TOR DESPITE they were MMOs, not because of it, and that’s probably where I went wrong.

Also, I’d be curious as to what you think will happen in 6+ months from now. Conjecture I know, but still. Do you think it’ll be 1-2 small planetary arcs? A full chapter? A full saga of 3 chapters?

Obviously, I’m not holding you or anyone to the predictions, but since your handle on the game seems more accurate than mine, I’d be curious as to what you think…

Sorry, it took so long to get to this. I am at work all day.

Btw, I feel your pain and I don't play many MMOs either. I played EQ, Lotro (for story), DCUO (for a month realized it was a PVP game) and now this one (again for story). EQ held me for years until I realized that game was designed for the retired, unemployed or in college. It was not designed for the working stiff. Never tried COH, maybe I should.

Btw, if you have never played Dragon Age Origins or Mass Effects, I think you would like them. I will not recommend Dragon Age 2 though, that was EA rushing product as usual.

I think it will be an expansion with about 10 levels and 2-3 planets. Like 2 regular planets and a Quesh type. That is what I think. It will be chapter 4 for our story. I don't know how often they will have expansion, I really don't.

The big question to me is are they going to give like a part of a chapter every 3 months like Lotro did, something similar to the Prologue. That would be nice, but I am not holding my breath. Most game companies give an expansion a year. I think the 2nd big question is will people stay just getting one chapter a year? (and maybe some prologue type filler) I guess we will see won't we if I am right.

Edited by Dawgtide

You sir, need to calm down. From what I've read here you are not familiar with MMOs, but chapter 4, what you are asking for- It's called an expansion. The patched we've had are common and add to end game as well as addressing balancing issues, that CAN be done once every few months. An expansion adds to the story, gives you new worlds and abilities to explore, usually adds in 5 - 10 levels and in swtor's case likely a companion or two etc etc etc. An expansion is purchased and it certainly won't be released within 4 months of launch. You'll be waiting at least a year, so slow down your affection farming or get married and divorced a few times ;)

Oh and Legacy, is swtor encouraging players to play all the class stories, meet all the companions and generally get some rp, social fun times goin... along with, you know, exploring the whole big mmo thingy they've been slaving over.

This is a pretty good synopsis for DalrisThane too.

Edited by Dawgtide

No problem. Thanks for replying.

A friend of mine is hinting at the fact that this Christmas, both the Dragon Age and Mass Effect franchises will make their way under my tree. He did say DA2 was like KOTOR-2, rushed and you can tell, just like the non-ending of KOTOR-2 was very obviously a “rush this out the door”.

And I’d love you to be right. Filler content. Prologue level content. Chapters content. Released as tiers, throughout the year.

The fact that now it’s all about the BLANKETY BLANK endgame (to which I have the same anger that the spacebar people have towards the BLANKETY BLANK story), I honestly don’t know if it’s “their turn” or if this is “the new direction”.

People post a lot about how PVP is the majority of MMO players, TOR in particular. If that’s the case, the devs SHOULD put the content towards PVP, should say so in their news that PVP is now the focus, not story, and I can leave this game to the PVPers.

Which is probably precisely why the suits will NOT say it, because they are dangling me along, hoping I pay for X more months. Right now, this second, I’m not going to unsub because I still have story to do. It is going fast though, because though I'm not spacebaring at all, I know all of the locations, ambushes, and the like for any non-class story goals.

But, will there be significant story when I’m done x8? Or will it be this Legacy stuff I couldn’t care less about instead of new levels / planets / chapters.

Time will tell. I hope you’re right, but to coin a phrase…

“I have a bad feeling about this…”

I do apologize for any over-reacting. It’s in the blood, but, most importantly, it’s by choice. I’m sorry if it grates. I’ll try to edit down any new posts to a “dull roar” level, heh…

Oh to answer your question in another way, if Bioware gets their way then PVE will do just fine. The head man said in an article somewhere they know the story part as that is what they do. They are right. Even back to the days of Baldurs Gate. I am not as worried as you about that. Will it meet your timetable? I don't know. Lotro fell behind to me and I am not their because of that.

As for PVP, it won't rule I don't think. Unless there is data showing the majority are PVP. There are many other PVP games so that is not this game's niche I wouldn't think. DAOC, Guild Wars, the now defunct Shadowbane to name a couple of other PVP games. As I have said before, I don't mind class balance being affected by PVP though as PVE people learn to adapt to changes in my opinion. I know changes just make me learn to adapt in my play.

Also, don't dismiss the changes to crafting in the latest update. While I haven't read up on them, that was for the casual or solo players like you and me too.

I just hope Bioware is allowed to do their thing. If so, people like me and you are fine. If EA makes them rush, then who knows what we will get. Dragon Age Origins was a wonderful game and then we got DA 2, which to me was a game made for consoles gamers to play.

SWTOR is bashed by various trolls a lot, but the fact of the matter is that The Old Republic is an excellent game overall, updated regularly and doing rather good generally.

I have no doubt whatsoever that the game will constantly improve.

I have to agree with the OP. There are some major flaws i will admit however. I think this a great game. It has the potential to stick around for awhile. As a WoW killer i dont think so but it will hold its own in time. The thing that most people forget when they start talking about "Dying Servers" is that at launch (which i was in the Early Access like most people were) I chose one of the few first servers to come online. I didnt like the que's to wait to get in but I stuck it out. People complaining about how long the lines were so Bioware made the mistake of opening far to many servers too fast and now 4 months later people on those servers are now left with empty ones. On a week night i see about 100-150 people on my servers fleet alone and havent had a problem finding groups etc.

The main reason people think server pops are dropping rapid are because they were on those later open servers that got those late blooming release people. I do believe tho those people need a transfer to make there gaming experience better. But those doom and gloom guys ranting about pops dropping are all we read about here on the forums...

Just my two cents

Atleast Warhammer online has the Best RvR system to-date, i can face 100vs100 without it lagging, which is kinda neat. the PvP is also superior in every way... It has Collision Detection, and that my friends is crucial for any PvP game, atleast when you try it out.

You can't run through anyone to get to the healer, you actually need to take out Tanks, and dps that are in the way.

So a good group of 6 can facepwn 20+ players easily, if not more.

Warhammer online with collision detection gives us | Strategy, tactics and teamplay.

Too bad the rest of the game sucked, the mechanics were awful. But i still play RvR from time to time, and it's so awesome, sure hope Gw2 copies alot of it.

You didn't happen to play Mythics other game before Warhammer, Dark Age of Camelot, did you? Just curious because I think that had the best RVR which is why Warhammers is so good, they based it off it. Regardless, I think Mythics RVR system is great and should be used in more MMO's.

This game is still young, people need to stop bashing it so quick. Give it some time to mature, they got to learn from a little trial and error. Who here played Vanilla WoW? Think about that game at release. I don't like comparing MMO's, they all have there pros and cons but WoW didn't have much at release either, not even BG's (QQ).

I've been playing MMO's on and off for 12 years, started with Ultima Online, I'm only 25 btw so I am still young. I have played many different ones and had a lot of things I liked about all and things I hated. SW:ToR looks promising. I wouldn't give up hope yet.

Greetings folks!

As a gentle reminder to everyone, please remember that we ask that discussions on the forums are centered around discussion of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. It appears that most of the discussion has been centered around other games and while we understand that comparisons will be made, please keep your discussion related to Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

This is just a reminder, however if discussion continues to be off topic, we will go ahead and close this thread.

Thank you!