Lethality for PvP in 1.2?

JohnyHoward

Anyone having good success thinking of trying it.... So far I have only ever been concealment but as I have just hit 50 and have no PvP gear I get ***** 2 seconds after Im out of stealth....

Better yet best spec for getting PvP gear fast? Should I just go healing?

Also is healing PvP gear the same as Concealment/Lethality PvP gear?

Lethality is a bad choice for a fresh 50. You're far too squishy and your only TA proc is shiv, which requires you to get up close to geared opponents who will destroy you.

As a fresh 50 I was largely heal-specced (went as far as corrosive grenade in the lethality tree) and if you're lucky, you can hang back and pop heals.

As far as lethality in general for Ops- I've started levelling a sniper, and the range increases to weakening blast and cull make playing a lethality Op pointless as far as I'm concerned. The sniper build has all the strengths of lethality (bar a now-manageable post-1.2 energy cost on cull- higher than a talented Op's, but still not too bad) and none of the retarded melee-range requirements of the Op build.

Edited by JidaiGeki

If the thought of a pure lethality (and being, perhaps, outshone by a Lethal Sniper) does not appeal to you, perhaps you'll enjoy the build I'm using (and have been using before 1.2): the Hybrid Lethal/Medicine.

Its role is not dps/healer; you're still 90% dps and 10% healer. The difference is playstyle: by sacrificing Weakening Blast you cut back on damage on all your main abilities: Corrosive, P Dart and Cull. The big gain is Medical Engineering. You get extra TA generation: meaning more Culls, and a lot more flexibility when it comes to TA's for Stim Boosts. The Lethal/Medicine build is probably the best build when considering Finisher Moves.

Medical Engineering may seem lackluster at first glance: Kolto Probe doesn't heal that much and costs energy, it can only occur once every 6 seconds, and its proc chance is only 30%. This isn't the whole story: you should try to keep Kolto up on at least one other person, two if the situation favours it. This dramatically increases your chances for TA procs. Furthermore, it helps you regenerate TA's outside of combat (while staying mobile).

Thus: you start most fights with 2 tactical advantages AND Stim Boost already up. (especially since Medical Consult now allows TA to linger 6 more seconds, should you be unlucky and lose them) Also, in most fights you'll get 1-3 more lucky procs (and of course you still have Shiv). This means you get about 4-6 more Culls (which is the main source of damage in this build). I even stopped using stealth most of the time, since I don't need the TA from HS anymore and I do more dps by applying my dots while closing in (stealth is now mainly utility/a way to get Sedatives off, which is situational BUT killer if you can use it).

This build isn't for everybody, KP management requires some multitasking and Concealment is probably still at least as good if played correctly (even after 1.2). But you may very well enjoy it, I've played it since lvl 49 and not planning to go back.

EDIT: Here is the build, in case you're interested: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#401rccMdhZZhrbkrMhd.1

Edited by Diplomaticus

If the thought of a pure lethality (and being, perhaps, outshone by a Lethal Sniper) does not appeal to you, perhaps you'll enjoy the build I'm using (and have been using before 1.2): the Hybrid Lethal/Medicine...This build isn't for everybody, KP management requires some multitasking and Concealment is probably still at least as good if played correctly (even after 1.2). But you may very well enjoy it, I've played it since lvl 49 and not planning to go back.

EDIT: Here is the build, in case you're interested: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#401rccMdhZZhrbkrMhd.1

Thanks for that. I may give it a shot. But it will be tough to do without the HS face-plants that I'm so addicted to as full concealment. I played around with a full lethality build for a while and found that while my total damage was ridiculously high by the end of a WZ, it wasn't necessarily the most effective damage. It was really just pestering a lot of repubs. Burst DPS was a challenge as you really had to lay on all DOTs and cull like it was cool.

That being said, I've been concealment for so long that I think I will need to try something different just to keep things interesting.

Hi,

IMHO, your medicine tree can actually be a bit different - consider this:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#401rfdMzhZZGbbkrMhd.1

Medical consult is not making a big diff for us hybrids and endorphine rush is veery handy :)

BTW.

i been doing couple of WZs yesterday and was doing OK, but i noticed Marauders were kicking my *** heavy, more than before

Anyway,

gl&hf

What gear do you guys wear in this hybrid build? Enforcer, Field Med, a mix of both?

I would actually use Field Tech for the 2 piece (maybe even the 4 piece) set bonus.

Enforcer set bonus is crap.

Field medic set bonus only benefits fully specced healers.

Alacrity on gear is something to think about though... It obviously depends a lot on playstyle and personal preference --> how often do you use hots/emergency medpack in comparison to your channeled heals?

Thx for this guys, looks interesting.

What would be your rotation in pvp?

There is no rotation. Especially not for a hybrid build. The challenge is to fluently switch between healing and dps when it is warranted. Your rotation will be different in every single encounter, much moreso than with a pure dps spec.

Edited by Ich_Bin

I concur: use Field Tech. +1s Evasion would be better with a dueling-mindset, but +1 tic on Orbital is better in a group pvp situation. The +5 Energy would be nice, but extra range on your interrupt isn't bad either (it can surprise sorcs/sniper that rooted you).