The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Celebrate Game Update 1.2: Legacy

AlysonBridge

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a person that bought the collector's edition on day 1, and a 6 month sub on day 1, played the beta, been a "loyal", paying customer since day one of early access.

I feel slighted...

Reasons for not having a level 50 are irrelevent, it has nothing to do with $15.00. It is about the principle of what they did. They are telling me that my money is worth less to them than someone else's, based solely on a statistic that has nothing to do with "loyalty" (the level of my characters).

Sure it was not expected, no they didn't have to do it...however, they did chose to, and marketed it under the label of "reward for our loyal, and valued customers" then slapped the face of every paying customer that didn't have a level 50 character regardless of the reason.

I agree. I was in beta, I preordered, and I didn't level to 50 because I was taking my time, doing crafting, building alts, the whole nine yards...now, I feel like people who played for two weeks nonstop with one character carry higher value than my months of loyalty to the game.

If you dont have a 50 yet your either a RPer,dont have time to play,doesnt take the game seriously,etc. Getting to 50 isnt that hard it only takes a week of playing time to get to 50 so stop your complaints and play the game!

Or you know, we can actually appreciate the scope of BioWare's game.

Edited by jhartel

It's not so much 30 days of TOR as it is about $17. :p

That said, now they just seem to be purposely trying to piss people off. The free month has also been granted to people who have legacy level 6. Because clearly people who don't have a level 50 CLEARLY have legacy level 6 instead.

Well it's because people were complaining how they have 256 chars of lvl 30 and it's unfair they don't get anything. So that problem is solved now.

Sorry but if you are neither a level 50 or don't have legacy 6 from creating many chars or whatever, you are NOT most valuable and active member of this community. THAT is a fact. I may be playing this game too much but having level 50 char since January and legacy 25 at the moment these requirements for free month don't seem too steep at all.

Only thing I see someone could argue is that they maybe should have given free month to everyone. I would agree with that assessment if it wasn't for big bunch of people(according to subscription numbers almost 300 thousand) who just filled our servers and then quit after a week or two and went back to playing WoW or whatever.

Edited by Daex

Well it's because people were complaining how they have 256 chars of lvl 30 and it's unfair they don't get anything. So that problem is solved now.

Sorry but if you are neither a level 50 or don't have legacy 6 from creating many chars or whatever, you are NOT most valuable and active member of this community. THAT is a fact. I may be playing this game too much but having level 50 char since January and legacy 25 at the moment these requirements for free month don't seem too steep at all..

Wrong.

1. Multiple servers is something that screws this whole thing. If you are part of guilds on multiple servers, you cannot combine your legacies to reach 6, screws the pooch.

2. I play through most quest, replay areas, explore the map and do everything else as well. No 50's yet. I am also a single father and work 40 hours a week. I have been in the closed and open beta. I pre-ordered. I play at least an hour a night and have dedications to my work place's guild, my community guild and a personal guild with my family and close friends, all on different servers so I am never at odds with another like a rational person should.

This would be a non issue if server transfers existed and I could combine legacies but alas, BioWare is still holidng on that for whatever reason they are that makes absolutely no sense.

As per the developer's request to consolidate feedback to this thread:

The free game time promotion(s) available with patch 1.2 seem flawed.

If you are a loyal subscriber in good standing who has the time and inclination to level a single character quickly to max level (50), you receive 30 days of free game time. This seems reasonable, and I'm glad you are rewarding those players.

If you have already chosen to quit the game, you receive 7 free days of game time. This seems reasonable, an easy tactic to lure past subscribers back to the game.

If you have already broken the ToS to the extent that you've been banned, you get nothing. This seems reasonable, duh.

If you are a loyal subscriber in good standing who happens to not have a significant amount of time to devote to video games, or who prefers a play style which emphasizes things other than reaching max level, and therefor do not have a level 50 character, you get...nothing.

This is the part where I stop following you, guys. Why reward all of your customers except for this specific group of people? Not only does it frustrate the casual players, but it's generally pretty bad marketing. It seems counter-intuitive to only have rewards seducing either hardcore or disloyal players. I expect that in the long run your player base will include a significant population of casual players, if it follows the trends of previous successful MMOs.

I would suggest that you remedy this oversight by offering a similar reward for loyal players who choose to play in a fashion which has not get achieved them the arbitrary qualification of possessing a level 50 character.

EDIT April, 13 2012: As mentioned above, this is simply a re-post of comments made to a customer service representative who asked that feedback be available in this thread. I understand that actions to rectify this are already being taken.

Edited by Kiemd

Wrong.

1. Multiple servers is something that screws this whole thing. If you are part of guilds on multiple servers, you cannot combine your legacies to reach 6, screws the pooch.

2. I play through most quest, replay areas, explore the map and do everything else as well. No 50's yet. I am also a single father and work 40 hours a week. I have been in the closed and open beta. I pre-ordered. I play at least an hour a night and have dedications to my work place's guild, my community guild and a personal guild with my family and close friends, all on different servers so I am never at odds with another like a rational person should.

This would be a non issue if server transfers existed and I could combine legacies but alas, BioWare is still holidng on that for whatever reason they are that makes absolutely no sense.

Have you even remotely considered that it's not their duty to service every possible scenario that could occur, such as yours? I mean I'm sorry because in current version of promotion you are not fitting the requirements, but it's not their fault you chose to play like you did. After all most of people who played since launch met the requirements easily.

I'm honestly telling you, if I was in situation like yours, I would surely blame myself for playing on 3 different servers at the same time, not the company.

Also this may come off as bit rude... but where I live, 40 hours a week is how much EVERYONE works and is not special in any form or shape. It's bit silly to bring it up as argument unless in your place people work like 4 hours a day for full payment...

level a single character quickly to max level (50)

...you don't need to level quickly to get to 50.. Starting from launch you could have played 1 hour a day, and you would be 50 by now (not skipping anything). You would have had to play only that one character though, in this scenario.

Don't get me wrong I haven't even delved into your further arguments but being level 50 TODAY is not leveling quickly. Heck I know some people with 3-4 level 50 chars, that's leveling quickly.

@Daex

Accepted. One friend of mine has 3 level 50s, another has 2, a guildie of mine has 5.

But MMO populations tend to form a curve of building to a crescendo and then slowly descending to their death. Now is the time to be building a diverse community of many types of players, including casual or intermittent players, as well as RP types more interested in the varied story lines than in achieving quantifiable progress.

In no way am I suggesting that regular, progression-oriented players do not form the core player base. I just think that now is a bad time to be alienating ANY kind of player. And I think their updated extended promotion is a much wiser decision, and will benefit everyone in the end.

By including players reaching Legacy Level 6, and by extending the time period in which players are able to attain these qualifications, they are reinvigorating their player base, instead of fracturing it. In the end, a healthy and diverse population of happy players will make a better community for everyone. :)

Edited by Kiemd

@Daex

Accepted. One friend of mine has 3 level 50s, another has 2, a guildie of mine has 5.

But MMO populations tend to form a curve of building to a crescendo and then slowly descending to their death. Now is the time to be building a diverse community of many types of players, including casual or intermittent players, as well as RP types more interested in the varied story lines than in achieving quantifiable progress.

In no way am I suggesting that regular, progression-oriented players do not form the core player base. I just think that now is a bad time to be alienating ANY kind of player. And I think their updated extended promotion is a much wiser decision, and will benefit everyone in the end.

By including players reaching Legacy Level 6, and by extending the time period in which players are able to attain these qualifications, they are reinvigorating their player base, instead of fracturing it. In the end, a healthy and diverse population of happy players will make a better community for everyone. :)

Of course. I completely agree with extended promotion as well. Looking at the options they presented level-wise for reaching legacy 6, it's not small effort either, to be honest.

So I've had the game since the beta. I have played on a couple servers, but my highest level is 47 as of 4/12/12 at midnight. So I have payed the same amount of money as everyone else, but will not get the free month. That is not cool!!!!! I love the game, but that is a slap in the face. :(

So I've had the game since the beta. I have played on a couple servers, but my highest level is 47 as of 4/12/12 at midnight. So I have payed the same amount of money as everyone else, but will not get the free month. That is not cool!!!!! I love the game, but that is a slap in the face. :(

You have 10 days to get your 47 to 50, it's not too bad :p

You have 10 days to get your 47 to 50, it's not too bad :p

Umm.. am I missing something? Do we have a chance to level our abandoned characters to 50 afterall? I didn't see this...

I doubt I would level my mid-40 Sage anyway, the nerf made it no fun and the server is dead. I think I'll take a break and enjoy my garden and getting back in shape....

I doubt I would level my mid-40 Sage anyway, the nerf made it no fun and the server is dead. I think I'll take a break and enjoy my garden and getting back in shape....

At least you can do so in the comforting knowledge that no point were you slapped in the face. :)

Edited by smartalectwo

I guess I did miss that annoucement, but still he's a nerfed Sage on a dead server. Not worth $15 to play with him...

Thanks but no thanks BW...

Again, I'm not quiting, but I do feel like I'm the unluckiest soul in the world; not only did the first server I picked go dead, but the second one I picked did as well...

Okay, I've officially spent more time on the forums then in the game now... I feel like I'm the red-headed step child.... I started at release, and joined a normal server as a Sage. That server gradually died, so I started playing an alt on another server. That server also had chirping crickets shortly thereafter (seriously the only 2 servers with 'light' usage last night were the 2 I had characters on.). Then I opened another account so my girlfriend and I could play together. Then 1.2 comes out. I'm told I'm not as valuable as the level 50 characters (of whom I would have loved to be but had to reroll twice or accept playing in the vacuums of space) and my highest level character is nerfed and I have to spend time rebuilding his stat tree. After that I get the grand annoucement that I have 10 days to get my character to level 50, but I am now to the point where playing my highlest level character is agony (Sage). I spent the last 2 days waiting for an extended time to play 1.2 and updating to 1.2 and the subsequent patch and after all that... I died 4 times in 30 minutes. I know everyone is going to say I suck and I don't play the character well, but I died 4 times against 2 strongs that were 4 levels below me on a class quest; I've barely even had to rest through class quests before. What did I do to BW to make them hate me so...?