1.2 is Here - Time to switch Companions - Advice?

HanfordBlows

Well I decided to go with Ensign... More or less free PVP gear with the recruit set... It's a start and I will replace the pieces as I get drops and also when I have available hand me downs.

I'll report back when I have some data in case anyone else cares and is trying to make a decision.

Vector is simply amazing. I've used him since I got him. I absolutely hated Kaliyo. I bought Vector every piece of upgrade-able gear I could buy with commendations. I'm also cybertech and just update his mods when needed. He has no problems holding aggro and with Whirling Force he's an absolute terror in AoE combat. The Killik is the best. Also, he likes my nice guy antics.

It doesn't make sense to use anything other than a dps companion if you're a healer, only possible exception being a low level Sorc/Sage that can still run out of Force on long fights - which doesn't matter for someone playing an Operative. That or if you're being cheeky and using it to tank a hard mode flashpoint for lawlz.

A tank companion in equal gear will take longer to kill stuff than a dps companion, and tank companions aren't really -that- much sturdier as they don't have the skill tree support of an actual player tank.

It's really a matter of preference between Vector and Temple. I use Vector for Diplomacy so it defaults to Temple, but both are very serviceable. Doesn't hurt that Temple shares gear with you making it incredibly easy to gear her.

Edited by Lockexxi

It doesn't make sense to use anything other than a dps companion if you're a healer, only possible exception being a low level Sorc/Sage that can still run out of Force on long fights - which doesn't matter for someone playing an Operative. That or if you're being cheeky and using it to tank a hard mode flashpoint for lawlz.

A tank companion in equal gear will take longer to kill stuff than a dps companion, and tank companions aren't really -that- much sturdier as they don't have the skill tree support of an actual player tank.

It's really a matter of preference between Vector and Temple. I use Vector for Diplomacy so it defaults to Temple, but both are very serviceable. Doesn't hurt that Temple shares gear with you making it incredibly easy to gear her.

After playing them both, I far prefer Vector, but due to the ease of gearing... I went with Ensign Temple.

I am seeing a lot of praise for Ensign Temple... Admittedly I have not used or geared her properly and therefore, I can't make an educated comparison between her and Vector.

For those of you who have geared and tested BOTH Ensign and Vector, how comparable is the DPS and survivability? I don't mind having to actually heal, or be challenged by content - I'm not looking for an "easy mode", just a companion that makes sense to use as a healer and one that can drop mobs quickly.

Someone mentioned Ensign's Aimed Shot critting for 3K... That sounds bad ***** :)

The biggest reason for using Temple is she is the only other companion besides Lokin who can use your offset or handmedowns. Plus ranged has an advantage of not being as likely to stand in AoEs, which you can micro manage if you want with a melee, but I find I dont like putting that much effort into doing dailies :p

I see people say you can solo 4man bosses with a tank companion but honestly if youre a healer its easy to find groups anyway.

I am seeing a lot of praise for Ensign Temple... Admittedly I have not used or geared her properly and therefore, I can't make an educated comparison between her and Vector.

For those of you who have geared and tested BOTH Ensign and Vector, how comparable is the DPS and survivability? I don't mind having to actually heal, or be challenged by content - I'm not looking for an "easy mode", just a companion that makes sense to use as a healer and one that can drop mobs quickly.

Someone mentioned Ensign's Aimed Shot critting for 3K... That sounds bad ***** :)

I'm using a hybrid build and I run with Temple because then I always have the option of running around kiting/healing while she picks off the mobs when I get in over my head. Ranged companions are also less likely to stand in the PBAoE fire patches and die because of their half-dead AI.